Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-08 23:40:38

Phinarose

Plans as Moderator

Hello Everybody Edits Community,

For the past couple of years, it has come to my attention that there have been some flaws in the moderation system. For example, some moderators were either too strict, too lenient, or haven’t done anything at all. 
However, after examining some issues in the moderation system, I decided that there needs to be some changes to our procedures.

I have noticed that an EE member who has committed a minor offense will receive a one day ban, which to me is very excessive. In instances of minor offenses, I would implement a 30 minute or one hour ban, on the player. If the player then decides to reoffend the same action, I would increase the ban to two hours, etc. Again, this would only be done for minor offenses, which will be determined on a case to case basis.

Also, in the past moderation there has been lack of communication between moderators and EE players. What I mean by this is sometimes the chat logs may not be enough to get the full story and it’s best that moderators reach out to both sides to discuss what happened to determine what would be the best punishment.  Another issue I would like to bring up is that some people are banned and don’t understand the reasoning behind it. I must stress that it is important to tell them exactly why they were banned and the reasoning behind the duration of the ban, that way they aren’t completely blindsided.

Lastly, I would like to stress that the system that EE moderators use to view reports, give bans, etc. is very outdated. However, there are plans to change this system to achieve these goals, so it is important to be patient while these changes are being made. 

Thank you,
Phinarose

WjoM2zh.png

#2 2017-04-08 23:55:52

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Re: Plans as Moderator

Banning people for x minutes at a time is next to pointless.

If you ban someone for 1 day, it's almost guaranteed that they will be affected by the ban. A 30 minutes ban will probably go unnoticed.

phinarose wrote:

What I mean by this is sometimes the chat logs may not be enough to get the full story

But most reports (ignoring the spammy ones) are because of things said in chat.

phinarose wrote:

it’s best that moderators reach out to both sides to discuss what happened to determine what would be the best punishment.

You would have to hunt users down to talk them. That's time consuming, and it would be insanely difficult to address reports in a timely manner.

phinarose wrote:

Lastly, I would like to stress that the system that EE moderators use to view reports, give bans, etc. is very outdated. However, there are plans to change this system to achieve these goals, so it is important to be patient while these changes are being made.

Why does the public need to be informed of this? This changes nothing for them.

Also, this post wasn't written by Phinarose.

Discord: jawp#5123

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2017-04-09 00:05:38

Phinarose

MrJaWapa wrote:

Banning people for x minutes at a time is next to pointless.

If you ban someone for 1 day, it's almost guaranteed that they will be affected by the ban. A 30 minutes ban will probably go unnoticed.

phinarose wrote:

What I mean by this is sometimes the chat logs may not be enough to get the full story

But most reports (ignoring the spammy ones) are because of things said in chat.

phinarose wrote:

it’s best that moderators reach out to both sides to discuss what happened to determine what would be the best punishment.

You would have to hunt users down to talk them. That's time consuming, and it would be insanely difficult to address reports in a timely manner.

phinarose wrote:

Why does the public need to be informed of this? This changes nothing for them.

Also, this post wasn't written by Phinarose.

This post was in fact written by me. However, let me explain a little more. One, when talking to players I am not referring about every single report that is made, because that would be in fact a lot of time. This would be done with more of the serious offenses/ accusations.  I also believe that the community should be informed that something is actually going to be done, because some may complain that it isn't getting done currently. Also with the different length bans say if someone is accused of continually spamming a world, it doesn't make any sense to ban them for one day. Instead, banning them for an hour to get the point across that they shouldn't being doing it. Also these are in fact ideas and there of course will be some trial and error, but the point is that there will be changes made in the way moderation will be done.

WjoM2zh.png

#4 2017-04-09 00:16:36, last edited by Cakeje (2017-04-09 00:16:49)

Cakeje

Jawapa, clearly you don't get the point of what she said.
The 30 minute or one hour bans are for minor offenses, and should be effective enough. Generally the minor offenses are committed either by alts/people who make an account just for spamming. A one day ban would have the same effect as a one hour ban, most likely, as the person who committed the minor offense will probably log out from that account and barely ever logs in again. Any ban would result into that if the account is created for spamming.

Also, the thing about communication is about communication between the mods and players in general. Phinarose points out an issue about it, e.g. that some players don't know why they got banned; all of that is a matter of communication in general. And things need to be done, things need to be clearer. Doing nothing about it won't help.

I get your point, but just give it a chance. As I said, doing nothing won't help.

unknown.png

Thanks to HG for making the sig

#5 2017-04-09 00:49:50

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

phinarose wrote:

serious offenses/ accusations.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You realize this is a game played by a bunch of kids, right?

Regardless, it's still going to be a goose chase to find people.

Cakeje wrote:

The 30 minute or one hour bans are for minor offenses, and should be effective enough. Generally the minor offenses are committed either by alts/people who make an account just for spamming. A one day ban would have the same effect as a one hour ban, most likely, as the person who committed the minor offense will probably log out from that account and barely ever logs in again. Any ban would result into that if the account is created for spamming.

phinarose wrote:

Also with the different length bans say if someone is accused of continually spamming a world, it doesn't make any sense to ban them for one day. Instead, banning them for an hour to get the point across that they shouldn't being doing it.

Why doesn't it make sense? A one day is more likely to be seen, and force the player to serve time off the game. If you issue a one hour ban, you'll have to hope they're not in school/at work/whatever. Otherwise, the ban is useless.

Cakeje wrote:

Also, the thing about communication is about communication between the mods and players in general. Phinarose points out an issue about it, e.g. that some players don't know why they got banned; all of that is a matter of communication in general. And things need to be done, things need to be clearer. Doing nothing about it won't help.

No. Her point was communication between mods and people that have been banned.

No where did I say nothing should be done.

Wooted by:

#6 2017-04-09 00:58:19

Cakeje

MrJaWapa wrote:
phinarose wrote:

serious offenses/ accusations.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You realize this is a game played by a bunch of kids, right?

Regardless, it's still going to be a goose chase to find people.

Cakeje wrote:

phinarose wrote:

Also with the different length bans say if someone is accused of continually spamming a world, it doesn't make any sense to ban them for one day. Instead, banning them for an hour to get the point across that they shouldn't being doing it.

Why doesn't it make sense? A one day is more likely to be seen, and force the player to serve time off the game. If you issue a one hour ban, you'll have to hope they're not in school/at work/whatever. Otherwise, the ban is useless.

Cakeje wrote:

No where did I say nothing should be done.

Quoting Phinarose:
"Also, in the past moderation there has been lack of communication between moderators and EE players."

Read carefully. I should be more careful too, but please.

unknown.png

#7 2017-04-09 01:00:18

Phinarose

MrJaWapa wrote:

No it wasn't just about being banned Jawapa. It was also about those who have been reported to discuss it with them, to see if they should even receive a ban.  Also you actually think it makes sense for someone for spamming a world to be banned for a day? Whether it's one hour or say 8 hours, the point is something so minor shouldn't have a 24 hour ban. Also Jawapa you need to get the huge picture, there will be trial and error. I'm not saying this system will be full-proof, these are ideas of how fix the flaws in the system.

WjoM2zh.png

Wooted by:

#8 2017-04-09 01:17:56

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

phinarose wrote:

It was also about those who have been reported to discuss it with them, to see if they should even receive a ban.

It's all the same.

phinarose wrote:

Also you actually think it makes sense for someone for spamming a world to be banned for a day? Whether it's one hour or say 8 hours, the point is something so minor shouldn't have a 24 hour ban.

Short bans are pointless. Many users will not even know they've been banned. If you're going to issue bans that will not serve their purpose, don't issue bans at all.

phinarose wrote:

Also Jawapa you need to get the huge picture, there will be trial and error. I'm not saying this system will be full-proof, these are ideas of how fix the flaws in the system.

Um. I know there will be trial and error. I've been in your position. I know how it works.

You're fixing flaws with more flaws.

#9 2017-04-09 01:29:13, last edited by Phinarose (2017-04-09 01:41:42)

Phinarose

MrJaWapa wrote:

Um. I know there will be trial and error. I've been in your position. I know how it works.
You're fixing flaws with more flaws.

Yes and we all saw how well you did in that position. I get it, people complain when there is no change and people complain when there isn't enough being done. I understand that I will not please everyone, and I understand that it is possible some ideas may not work out so well. Again, I actually want to try to improve it in some way. With that being said, it is frivolous to continue this back and fourth, we both have different opinions and that is fine.

WjoM2zh.png

Wooted by:

#10 2017-04-09 01:36:34

Cakeje

Good to see this discussion is serious. I stick to my point that being sceptical and negative will not change anything. Of course we all want things to change and we all have different opinions on how we want that to happen. But we should wait and see how things will turn out. Complaining before you've seen any result at all will bring us nowhere. Even if it's a sort of warning. But if that'd be an argument we could also do nothing, because you simply can't make everyone happy. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

unknown.png

Wooted by:

#11 2017-04-09 01:45:24, last edited by mrjawapa (2017-04-09 01:45:36)

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

phinarose wrote:

Yes and we all saw how well you did in that position.

Yep, I was demoted. Doesn't take away from what I said.

phinarose wrote:

I understand that I will not please everyone, and I understand that it is possible some ideas may not work out so well. Again, I actually want to try to improve it in some way.

It's not a complaint. It's me pointing out a very obvious flaw in your plan.

#12 2017-04-09 02:20:59, last edited by Melnmaker (2017-04-09 02:23:09)

Melnmaker

MrJaWapa wrote:
phinarose wrote:

phinarose wrote:

I understand that I will not please everyone, and I understand that it is possible some ideas may not work out so well. Again, I actually want to try to improve it in some way.

stop crying we all know ur jealous because u arent a mod and phina is

#13 2017-04-09 02:25:17

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Melnmaker wrote:
MrJaWapa wrote:
phinarose wrote:

phinarose wrote:

stop crying we all know ur jealous because u arent a mod and phina is

We all know? I didn't know! Since you're the indicator of all knowledge, I guess I do know now that I read your post.

#14 2017-04-09 02:53:56

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

Jesus Christ this game is a hurricane.

Godspeed, Phina.

#15 2017-04-09 03:18:53

Xfrogman43

MrJaWapa wrote:

Many users will not even know they've been banned.

Whether its a 1hr ban or 24 hours, its still short.
If you get banned and you're in a world, does it kick you? If so, when you try to join a different world, it will say you're banned. This doesn't even make sense if that is the case.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#16 2017-04-09 03:41:26

LukeM
Website

I guess that if you were to use the 1 hour ban, you would either have to be very quick about doing it, or have some way of putting it where they would usually be playing, maybe a multiple of 24 hours after the offence?

#17 2017-04-09 04:11:52

dcomet

destroyer123 wrote:

I guess that if you were to use the 1 hour ban, you would either have to be very quick about doing it, or have some way of putting it where they would usually be playing, maybe a multiple of 24 hours after the offence?

How about it starts when you log back in?

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

#18 2017-04-09 05:48:17

Doomsdaytoy9000

This mod is actually trying to make the game better and people are still complaining

Gosh

XR0wvu0.png

Wooted by:

#19 2017-04-09 06:14:25

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Doomsdaytoy9000 wrote:

This mod is actually trying to make the game better and people are still complaining

Gosh

Phinarose made a topic discussing her plans on how to improve the moderation, and people are discussing other possible ways to improve the moderation. Nobody's shouting, insulting, or talking down to each other, aside from Meinmaker. Where are the complaints?

Mine and Pyromaniac's posts which may come across as kind of unproductive, but they still aren't complaints towards Phinarose. I am grateful for Phinarose's attempt at improving the moderation, even if it may be through flawed methods. I don't quite get Pyromaniac's post, but I think it's meant to be positive. If you purposefully wrote that for Meinmaker, it would have been clearer just to rephrase it.

Before complaining about complaining (or complaining about anything), I think it's a good idea to think twice. If you don't, you may just cause the complaints you've been criticizing!

Wooted by: (3)

#20 2017-04-09 08:35:01, last edited by Abelysk (2017-04-09 08:37:50)

Abelysk

MrJaWapa wrote:

Otherwise, the ban is useless.

Maybe make it activate when the player logs on //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Also I'm a liberal thinker - I like seeing changes especially heavy-handed ones during situations (in this case the situation being moderation). Why hold this already-flawed system instead of updating it? Support OP.

Wooted by:

#21 2017-04-09 08:37:40

Anatoly

Kefka wrote:
MrJaWapa wrote:

Maybe make it activate when the player logs on //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Then people will complain more. Leave it as it is now.

#22 2017-04-09 08:38:47

Abelysk

AnatolyEE wrote:
Kefka wrote:
MrJaWapa wrote:

Then people will complain more. Leave it as it is now.

That's the whole point of bans, though. Nobody but the banned players will complain in such a scenario. And that is how it should be.

#23 2017-04-09 08:52:09

Anatoly

Everyone was once banned if not a extremely good boy. I wonder why 2,000 people left EE... Now I get it. Everybodyedits is played only by super-good Boys without bans. And even this super-good-boys get banned... :/

People aren't Gods to make everything right.

#24 2017-04-09 08:55:05

Abelysk

BOIIIII if u think EE died out because of bans... i don't know what to say.

#25 2017-04-09 09:01:23

Anatoly

Kefka wrote:

BOIIIII if u think EE died out because of bans... i don't know what to say.

That's my opinion. If you got another...

Let-et-t me hear it...

Hostage1492195776654685

Board footer