Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-21 04:02:11

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

False quotes

hummerz5 wrote:

A table has four legs. Cats have four legs. Therefore, all cats are tables.

Also I like having overly eloquent conversations with Tomahawk.

Hummerz has not said this and probably maybe I think never will.

I've never actually seen a fake quote used in a thread, but that doesn't mean the forum shouldn't have a rule against them. Changing just one word in a quote could lead to a fair amount of drama in one of those threads where everyone gets way too serous about a small online game.

Or would deliberate abuse of a quote fall under the "Nub" warning?

Nub wrote:

General purpose warning for things that aren't technically against the rules, but are disruptive to the forums. Typically you'll be asked to stop whatever it is you're doing, and if you don't that's where this warning comes in.

Except that this specifies repeated nub-nuggetry as opposed to a single action.

Remove the second sentence and you'll get a highly effective general "don't be a nub" rule which allows a mod to decide whether they think the player deserves a ban - and is therefore terrible because no warning should be applied subjectively unless you waste time being fair by asking every mod to give their opinion.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#2 2017-01-21 04:09:02

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: False quotes

Not sure this is serious enough to warrant a warning. The person who's being quoted falsely should immediately know something is wrong and will point it out. Just by not editing their post after the false quote is made they can prove their innocence. The extra drama will die as soon as that happens. But yeah, if someone did this repeatedly then I'd say it would be worthy of a warning seeing as they're actively and repeatedly trying to disrupt the forums.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2017-01-21 04:14:40

hummerz5

prompt diff reply is prompt

Yeah, I think I've seen this once or twice, but in good spirit. If all this person did was go around misquoting people at random, you could probably write them off for spam and be done. If I was condescendingly discussing something with someone in Debates and I kept changing up their words with malicious intent, I think folks would just ignore my attempts at discussion. No sense trying to argue with a wall of that nature. A table has four legs. Cats have four legs. Therefore, all cats are tables. Also I like having overly eloquent conversations with Tomahawk, who is capable of time travel

#4 2017-01-21 04:48:25

Raphe9000

Different55 wrote:

This is really bad and I hate it! YOU GET A WARNING! YOU GET A WARNING! EVERYONE WILL GET A WARNING!

hummerz5 wrote:

but i did say dis

I don't see anything wrong with fake quotes as long as they aren't in a purposely insulting manner. If it's made just to go after someone, I guess it could warrant a minor warning at the very most.

Wooted by:
Raphe90001484970505643879

Board footer