Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-15 16:32:44

Amazing-pirate
Anonymous user

Question about abortion

I have a question:

When a man abandons his child, he's called a jerk, loser, low-life, e.t.c e.t.c
When a woman abandons her child, she's called pro-choice.

Can anyone please explain this? I do not mean to play the banjo with your nerves by doing this - I'm legitimately intrigued by this dilemma.

#2 2017-01-15 16:44:07

malarial-masterpiece
Anonymous user

Re: Question about abortion

The abortion procedure takes place on an organism which does not and never has possessed consciousness, and by that virtue is not living any more than a corpse.

#3 2017-01-15 17:03:26

rowdy_rat
Anonymous user

malarial-masterpiece wrote:

The abortion procedure takes place on an organism which does not and never has possessed consciousness, and by that virtue is not living any more than a corpse.

You sound awfully familiar, even without signing.

Perhaps we should try and focus on this particular social aspect... since I'm not sure I can merge anon topics without cataclysms

Something to consider! When the man leaves, the child is still existing and in need of support. When the woman prevents the child from existing, the child does not need support.

#4 2017-01-15 17:12:52, last edited by Amazing-pirate (2017-01-15 17:13:03)

Amazing-pirate
Anonymous user

rowdy_rat wrote:

Something to consider! When the man leaves, the child is still existing and in need of support. When the woman prevents the child from existing, the child does not need support.

That is something to consider, thanks!

If you call it "pro choice" then the man should be able to choose whether he wants to deal with a kid or not, right? If the child is going to "ruin his life" ( like it does womans ), shouldn't he be able to abandon it? Pro choice, right?

If the man impregnates a woman, and the man chooses to abandon the wife while the child is in the womb however, should he still be called a "low-life" ( and such negative names respectively )?

#5 2017-01-15 17:33:22

Thick tank
Anonymous user

Amazing-pirate wrote:
rowdy_rat wrote:

That is something to consider, thanks!

If you call it "pro choice" then the man should be able to choose whether he wants to deal with a kid or not, right? If the child is going to "ruin his life" ( like it does womans ), shouldn't he be able to abandon it? Pro choice, right?

If the man impregnates a woman, and the man chooses to abandon the wife while the child is in the womb however, should he still be called a "low-life" ( and such negative names respectively )?

If the man had unprotected sex with a woman and then tells the woman to abort the child then he is a moron and should be treated as such. If he did use contraception but it failed and he did not expect the woman to get pregnant then it would become more ambiguous... If for example the woman poked a hole in the condom then he really should not be blamed for wanting her to abort the child. It all depends on what the situation is. Just use common sense when judging whether or not someone is righteous.

#6 2017-01-15 18:33:18

rowdy_rat
Anonymous user

Thick tank wrote:

Just use common sense when judging whether or not someone is righteous

can we just look at this sentence for a moment ... and question what debating is if not, at the heart of it all, accepting that many things are not common sense?

pirate, as you expand on your example, you're raising more issues that seem to be society-based or something. No longer are you equating it to child abandonment, you're extending it a bit.

In your example declaring the father as bad, you assume the mother wants the child. In vice-versa, you might be assuming that the father either wants o does not, but you're ignoring that parameter to concern yourself only with the mother's wish.

He is a low-life for essentially starting something and not sticking with it, which he is held to by the mother's desire to hold on to something.
She could be a low-life for not wanting the child, but he does. Then a society might call that her choice.

Eh, I'm not a huge fan of debating why a society has stigmas, they're going to stick whether they're logical or not. :[

Wooted by:

#7 2017-01-15 19:40:21

vanillaVillager
Anonymous user

double standards brah

same reason why modern feminism is total ****

Wooted by:

#8 2017-01-17 16:48:09

fleshyGazer33
Anonymous user

I think that if a woman has the right to get an abortion, a man should also have a right to legally give up his rights and responsibilities as a parent (before the baby is born). Double standards are stupid.

#9 2017-01-17 18:30:05

Nosy-ninja
Anonymous user

What is "right" and what is "wrong" is entirely subjective and as such any replies you get will be opinions.

Furthermore, abortion and abandonment are entirely different things, so your comparison is moot. All you're doing is starting is a comment war.

My nerves are rock solid.

- Tomahawk

#10 2017-01-17 19:06:08

TalkingTiger
Anonymous user

Nosy-ninja wrote:

What is "right" and what is "wrong" is entirely subjective and as such any replies you get will be opinions.

i too love naïve moral antirealism

Wooted by:

#11 2017-01-17 19:17:48

UncleanSatirist1
Anonymous user

If a woman abandons her child after the child is born, she'll also be frowned upon just as a man would be. This shows that the attitudes towards you in this situation do not depend on whether you are a man or woman, but rather whether you have aborted your child or abandoned it.

#12 2017-01-17 19:19:44

headstrongHorse
Anonymous user

Nosy-ninja wrote:

I don't think anybody here is claiming their opinion to be fact. Yet.

Furthermore, abortion and abandonment are entirely different things, so your comparison is moot.

If you're interested in talking about this more I would like to hear why you feel the two are different. While abortion is abandoning an unborn child in a sense, one could argue that the woman has the "right" to since she has to go through a lot more trouble giving birth to the baby. The question is, where do we draw the line of whether or not it's "acceptable" to abandon an unborn child?

On one side, you have people saying that the child's life is more valuable than the woman's or man's choice to allow it to be born. On the other, you have people saying that both the man and woman should be able to abandon it. In between the two, you have people saying that only the woman should be able to abandon it.

The issue of abortion really is just another confusing issue that people make into yet another mud-slinging political battle. I'm really not sure how to solve that, though, since I don't know of any logical arguments of how valuable an unborn child's life is. Most arguments on abortion rely on sappy and sentimental ideas, which is hard to shift away from.

All you're doing is starting is a comment war.

Let's wait and see what happens before we start claiming to know what will. Everybody here seems pretty peaceful so far.

#13 2017-01-17 23:37:40, last edited by Nosy-ninja (2017-01-17 23:39:00)

Nosy-ninja
Anonymous user

headstrongHorse wrote:

The question is, where do we draw the line of whether or not it's "acceptable" to abandon an unborn child?

There's two pretty long threads on abortion already if you want to rehash that:
http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=37350
http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=32597

headstrongHorse wrote:

I would like to hear why you feel the two are different

OP is trying to compare abandonment and abortion by labelling them both "abandonment", which doesn't work because to 'abandon' is to "cease to support or look after (someone); desert" and can only be applied metaphorically to abortion. To argue that abortion is abandonment in any literal sense would be unfounded because it is the deliberate termination of life. You can call it murder, but not abandonment.

The comparison hinges on that point, and I deny its validity. =3

TalkingTiger wrote:

i too love naïve moral antirealism

xD, I do perceive good and evil, I was just pointing out that OP is looking for some kind of conclusive answer to a subjective topic that can only be looked at objectively if you consider it on a case-by-case basis where every single influencing factor is known.

And that's ironic given the forum section he's posted in.

#14 2017-01-18 00:58:56

FuzzyFraud96
Anonymous user

Are you from planet Earth? Men are never called jerks etc because they don't get pregnant.

#15 2017-01-18 06:44:41

headstrongHorse
Anonymous user

Nosy-ninja wrote:
headstrongHorse wrote:

The question is, where do we draw the line of whether or not it's "acceptable" to abandon an unborn child?

There's two pretty long threads on abortion already if you want to rehash that:
http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=37350
http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=32597

I've read those two topics and they're mostly just Different continuously trying to make clear to atilla that he has pretty much no basis for his opinions he considers to be fact. Like N1KF (or I?!) said, there's not really much of an objective truth we can understand about abortion, and the topic really shows that as it goes absolutely nowhere.

headstrongHorse wrote:

I would like to hear why you feel the two are different

OP is trying to compare abandonment and abortion by labelling them both "abandonment", which doesn't work because to 'abandon' is to "cease to support or look after (someone); desert" and can only be applied metaphorically to abortion. To argue that abortion is abandonment in any literal sense would be unfounded because it is the deliberate termination of life. You can call it murder, but not abandonment.

The comparison hinges on that point, and I deny its validity. =3

That makes sense.

#16 2017-01-18 07:05:22

FuzzyFraud96
Anonymous user

Zoey returned!?

Board footer