Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-10-06 03:31:09

WMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWMWM

Re: Do you believe in a post-life?

Once you die you turn back alive when you are eaten by decomposers. You become part of them and live once again. And yes i'm atheist.

WM malfuntion VgPb7gb.png

#27 2016-10-06 04:07:36

Abelysk

As someone who experienced an out-of-body experience, I believe we leave our physical vessels and live forever in the spirit realm upon death (I completely believe we have spirits - what is the energy force that activates our very cells, no, DNA?)

If hierarchy such as God or gods of other religions do indeed exist, then our spirits will be forced to colonize with spiritual civilzations (Heaven, Hell, etc).

So, yeah, I believe in an afterlife.

Wooted by:

#28 2016-10-06 04:59:21

oranj
EE Homegirl
Website

While I believe that there's an afterlife, I believe that if there wasn't that your consciousness would become like an inanimate object for instance, unfeeling what-so-ever

So in other words, your consciousness would completely cease to exist, all memories gone and everything

f0872edc17bb4a21a24c813c41c4f8b8.png
An orange made of Oranjes

#29 2016-10-06 05:22:34

Doodle
Formerly Hacked

AnatolyEE wrote:

Do you believe in life after death?

Hello, i'm not a troll. My identity is in Christ. I'm a Christian, a slave to Christ's, no longer to sin. Since this is a vague question, i will elaborate my explanation.

I believe that this life is not the end to our soul, but that this physical life is a preparation for the next one to decide where our soul will lie. We all have the Spirit(definition: The soul of man; the intelligent, immaterial and immortal part of human beings. (SPIR'IT, noun [Latin spiritus, from spiro, to breathe, to blow. The primary sense is to rush or drive.]- Noah Webster dictionary1828) within us that will never end because God put the breadth of life in us. After death i believe there will be a time to come for all of mankind to be judged on the basis of morality which is the Law of God, that which we all know what it is because were made in God's image therefore bearing the law within our hearts and conscience therefore we feel guilt when it's broken. And i believe God(the creator of all things) is Holy as He is so he demands holiness, obviously we humans are beyond that because of our sinful nature being inclined to do evil. Whether it be a white lie, stealing, fornication, or unjust hatred. So we all deserve banishment from the presence of God, there we get Hell. For banishment from the presence of the Lord is the very essence of destruction to a spirit that was made for God and if that banishment last forever, it is everlasting destruction. That's the Hell i truly believe is alive as do all genuine Christians and most non believers.

Heaven is the place where God has created for those who truly love Him to rest in peace. Most people believe they deserve the place. But consider this, what have you done to deserve or gain eternal life? We all fall short to perfection, that's one reason why we Christians believe the only way to salvation is by the grace of God through faith alone in the Son of God who made the sacrifice for our sins, and therefore fulfill the law by loving our neighbor as our self, not by our own works thinking we can inherit glory. The phrase is true; "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it." You don't have to do anything to enter hell, just don't repent and keep rebelling against God as we naturally do. We all are depraved and empty without God in our lives, and the result of that is evil.

Responses

Swarth100 wrote:

Religion has absolutely no say in the scientific field (no sane person would deny evolution tbh), but neither can science have a say in the religious field.

Just to be clear if you are associating the word religion with God;
Any religion is the practice of worshiping their god, so those who worship the creator acknowledge his creation, and his creation was done by science(knowledge), and since by science, God has a big part in the scientific field in creation, therefore we get the word CREATIONIST, aren't we all? I denie evolution because i denie the scientific impossibility of nothing creating something... which Richard Dawkings believes. Who is the sane one?  https://youtu.be/UT3dfPOdAYU

XxAtillaxX wrote:

There is no Adam and Eve, just as there was no great flood, and neither is the Earth 6000 years old. Religion and Science, I believe, just as many philosophers do, must be kept distinct.

Sorry but if were not from Adam and Eve, i find it hard to believe my great great grandfather was a fish...
You say religion should have nothing to do with science? But is not philosophy the study of reality? And if you take God out of the reality, "you don't even get nihilism but blurp..."  I'm just trying to be clear if you are associating the word religion with God as who he is. However i agree that the worship of God shouldn't affect scientific research, just God shouldn't be taken out of the picture, that is what is truly stupid, anybody who wants to learn about creation? Don't denie the creator.

AtillaxX also wrote "Faith is not the answer"
Now faith is key, it is the confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. Even atheist have faith.

I end with this beautiful poetic song for the hopeless interested in knowing who Jesus is.
https://youtu.be/Ms1uqdX6wXY

Wooted by:

#30 2016-10-06 06:02:02

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Hacked wrote:

I denie evolution because i denie the scientific impossibility of nothing creating something... which Richard Dawkings believes. Who is the sane one?  https://youtu.be/UT3dfPOdAYU

While I like most of your post I found a few points a bit questionable. I don't think evolution is considered "nothing creating something" more than a baby turning into an adult is. The idea behind evolution is that the stronger traits in animals will pass on, while those the weaker ones are killed off. For example, some animals might need longer necks in order to reach food. Those that couldn't get the food due to small necks would slowly die out over many generations.

I also agree that Richard Dawkins's idea that nothing coming from nothing (which is "something") is silly. There are some other arguments that I think hold more water, such as that the universe doesn't run on logic but if you genuinely believe that, you better throw science out of the window. Also, while atheists are usually evolutionists, they're different ideas with different contexts. Some might argue that evolution and the existence of God are compatible. For example, some may argue that the days of creation are symbolic to long time spans where the earth grew, before God created the first humans eventually. I've seen some give comparisons as to how the scientific theory of an evolving earth fit pretty well if you consider it all "symbolic". Others might argue that the book doesn't mention it being symbolic and that it should be interpreted literally unless there's something to suggest that it shouldn't.

What do you think? Now that I typed that all, I might realize this may be better discussed in another topic.

#31 2016-10-06 06:03:31

XxAtillaxX

@Hacked: You misquoted me, I'm not Swarth100.

I'll tear your arguments apart either way.

I know that you probably don't care and willingly abide by creationist teachings, however when you make absurd statements like "i find it hard to believe my great great grandfather was a fish", it makes you sound like an educated fool.
Do you know what common ancestors are? If you are going to make a statement, then at least remotely know what you're talking about.

I'll let you know a little bit about your religion and faith as well.

You know what faith has brought to mankind? A complete and utter lack of scientific progress - it is your idiotic dogmas that have led to countless lives being lost.
You would not be able to spout your religious beliefs if not for scientific advancement beyond your oppressive religion, it's disgraceful you side with it.
If not for scientific advancement, you wouldn't have all of the luxuries you take for granted; your life would be a living hell compared to today.

I know you believe in your predetermined faith because mommy and daddy told you it was good because their parents said it was good and so on.
I'll let you in on a secret: mommy and daddy are just as stupid as anyone else, they aren't always right. One day they'll be gone, and you'll have to think for yourself.

So, here's the thing. I would suggest keeping your hands clasped away from the keyboard for a little bit, and give it some thought like very few people do.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by: (3)

#32 2016-10-06 06:55:33

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

well yea

what was the point for the universe to explode and we specifically were coincidently at the perfect distance away from the sun in the big bang

sure the big bang created millions of stuff whatever
scients have found a planet that we can inhabit and is bigger than earth
or something

I'm a christian so I guess my answer is biased.
Idk

#33 2016-10-06 08:13:03, last edited by Doodle (2016-10-06 20:26:34)

Doodle
Formerly Hacked

N1KF wrote:
Hacked wrote:

I denie evolution because i denie the scientific impossibility of nothing creating something... which Richard Dawkings believes. Who is the sane one?  https://youtu.be/UT3dfPOdAYU

While I like most of your post I found a few points a bit questionable. I don't think evolution is considered "nothing creating something" more than a baby turning into an adult is. The idea behind evolution is that the stronger traits in animals will pass on, while those the weaker ones are killed off. For example, some animals might need longer necks in order to reach food. Those that couldn't get the food due to small necks would slowly die out over many generations.

I also agree that Richard Dawkins's idea that nothing coming from nothing (which is "something") is silly. There are some other arguments that I think hold more water, such as that the universe doesn't run on logic but if you genuinely believe that, you better throw science out of the window. Also, while atheists are usually evolutionists, they're different ideas with different contexts. Some might argue that evolution and the existence of God are compatible. For example, some may argue that the days of creation are symbolic to long time spans where the earth grew, before God created the first humans eventually. I've seen some give comparisons as to how the scientific theory of an evolving earth fit pretty well if you consider it all "symbolic". Others might argue that the book doesn't mention it being symbolic and that it should be interpreted literally unless there's something to suggest that it shouldn't.

What do you think? Now that I typed that all, I might realize this may be better discussed in another topic.

Indeed it is silly.
The idea of symbols i believe was created by man, and i don't think it has any part in the development and creation of earth. However everybody uses it to invoke some meanings.
I guess now the conversation has shifted away from belief of life after death to evolution and creation however it's a part of the foundation to debating whether there is life after death for both sides, like i said, the topic question is vague for many possible arguments. But i guess it must be quick to the point of only what we believe in life after death. If you would like for further conversation pm me. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
Let me leave you with this to answer me in pm.
How did bacteria design the human cell and DNA that is" more complex than a computer" as Bill Gates stated and is it just by random chance all of creation turned out this beautiful and intelligent? There's a reason why government allows only evolution to be taught in public schools and not creation. At least teach both right? for better critical thinking.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

@Hacked:
I know that you probably don't care and willingly abide by creationist teachings, however when you make absurd statements like "i find it hard to believe my great great grandfather was a fish", it makes you sound like an educated fool.
Do you know what common ancestors are? If you are going to make a statement, then at least remotely know what you're talking about.

I'll let you know a little bit about your religion and faith as well.

You know what faith has brought to mankind? A complete and utter lack of scientific progress - it is your idiotic dogmas that have led to countless lives being lost.
You would not be able to spout your religious beliefs if not for scientific advancement beyond your oppressive religion, it's disgraceful you side with it.
If not for scientific advancement, you wouldn't have all of the luxuries you take for granted; your life would be a living hell compared to today.

I know you believe in your predetermined faith because mommy and daddy told you it was good because their parents said it was good and so on.
I'll let you in on a secret: mommy and daddy are just as stupid as anyone else, they aren't always right. One day they'll be gone, and you'll have to think for yourself.

So, here's the thing. I would suggest keeping your hands clasped away from the keyboard for a little bit, and give it some thought like very few people do.

Oh no! you didn't hear it from me XxAtillaxX, i'm just quoting Dawkings. https://youtu.be/sTsVao0M6OA
Please if you will, tell him to stop influencing atheist who believe him...
A complete and utter lack of scientific progress?
Let me remind you sir, that Christians helped build many of the first hospitals and public schools in America.
And let me remind you sir, that the U.S.A. is founded by three main values, Christianity being the first foremost which helped influence the Constitution of the United states giving citizens their inalienable rights, free will, and to bear arms for protection and offense against a tyrannical government. Then there's the concepts of British parliamentary system and Roman concepts which each had some parts adopted. Christians have a foot in the history of America and it's development.

I agree that we have incredibly advanced in a short amount of time in history however not by putting off religion but by critical thinking. Even though the norms of religion was questioned, it was thinking that advanced us, not Christians oppressing the advancement of knowledge which is science.
[edit; irreverent part deleted]

By the way, i was not raised a christian at all, my mom's muslim and my dad used to be too but now professes to be a christian but i don't see the lifestyle. My testimony is i became a christian when i started to attend a church at the age of 14 or 15 when my older brother felt God calling him when he was invited by a stranger to church and he was transformed person totally that day when he went to church and listened to a sermon at home on youtube called "The shocking youth message" by Paul Washer. I simply tagged along attending church because he invited me and soon enough i started to hate the wicked things i often did from lying, sex.ual immorality, and burst of hatred. I willing came to Christianity not by growing up in it but by my heart and mind being enlightened with who God is and unending love. Hating the things He hates and loving the things He loves.

And by the way again, your tactic of scolding me is not working. I've got tough skin, Papa taught me well. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

This conversation has now swayed from the topic as i somewhat said to N1kf, further conversation would likely be suggested by pm from a forum moderator.
I would like to continue.

#34 2016-10-06 08:29:34

XxAtillaxX

You are quoting a video which is clearly intended to be a joke.
Are you unable to differentiate jokes and facts? If so, that would explain a lot about your beloved faith, which is nothing more than a joke nowadays, albeit cruel and twisted.

The United States founders were secular and did not impose religion as any sort of value.
Christians have oppressed scientific advancement, this is irrefutable, and you'd only look like a fool by disputing it.

You should go back to history class, and it's rather sad a Canadian has to point this out to you.
My only intention was to refute your idiotic claims, and now that it's blatantly obvious to everyone, besides you, I have no reason to seek further discussion.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#35 2016-10-06 08:39:34

Vinyl Melody
Formerly BananaMilkShake

I dont believe since if you die, you die. That's it. No gods or demons taking you. Just pure blackness.
Actually, this is the reason why I started not believing in things. Like jesus and satan.

cb0de83627.png
Thanks to: Ernesdo (Current Avatar), Zoey2070 (Signature)

Very inactive, maybe in the future, idk.

#36 2016-10-06 08:44:32

Sensei1

Pingohits wrote:
0176 wrote:

Humans came from monkeys? Didn't humans and monkeys share a common ancestor?

yeah that sry bad wording

another point:
i believe humans really just die and go into nothing, but what...happens? it's nothing, but how do we perceive that? completely black? is there a passage of time?

there's this short story called The Egg by Andy Weir, it's really interesting and touches on topics such as life after death and reincarnation

tldr; the entire universe is just an embryo, and every single life, every single person, you will live through. you will become abraham lincoln, you will become edward snowden, you will become every single prisoner in Guantanamo Bay. i remember staying up at night thinking about that story because i was terrified of living through a life where someone gets burned alive, or buried in cement. it's a very insightful story, i strongly recommend reading through it

That was pretty amazing!

Wooted by:

#37 2016-10-06 09:14:52, last edited by Doodle (2016-10-06 09:22:08)

Doodle
Formerly Hacked

XxAtillaxX wrote:

You are quoting a video which is clearly intended to be a joke.
Are you unable to differentiate jokes and facts? If so, that would explain a lot about your beloved faith, which is nothing more than a joke nowadays, albeit cruel and twisted

Here's a more sobering one, https://youtu.be/pbD6XzC9rqQ ah heck, i suggest you just go to the gold at 2:20-:240.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

The United States founders were secular and did not impose religion as any sort of value.
Christians have oppressed scientific advancement, this is irrefutable, and you'd only look like a fool by disputing it.

Did not impose any sort of religion as value? Who are you trying to fool? I know that all of the founding fathers were not Secular nor all Christians however you still denie the fact of Christianity playing a key role in the development of this nation. I don't impose the fact of religion being put into government but just the values of Christianity influencing the laws and government of America. It seems rather people are forgetting...

I've read some of the second article, i believe you when you say there was oppression by "Christians" or in the name of Christ like in the days of the reformation of the Roman Catholic church during Martin Luther's lifetime in the 16 century. It's a common fact that everybody who claims themselves to be Christians doesn't mean they are nor live like it. The Roman catholic church during the 16 century is a big example time period, they were corrupt by telling the people to give money to the "church" and god will grant them salvation.  Same thing today on t.v., the television evangelist preaching the Satan given prosperity gospel message to live your wonderful life now through comfort and fortunes instead of sacrifice for real heavenly gifts.

Wooted by:

#38 2016-10-06 10:06:57

Hostage
Banned
Website

oh snap this is what happens when a christian comes into a forum filled with atheists

no postlife is not a good!!11

35fa6ee9efa7e42687d426ffeba72dbdb9a95cbfb7d221d698ca2146feebab7c.jpg

Wooted by: (2)

#39 2016-10-06 12:33:29

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Humans as sentient organisms aren't able to contemplate their own non-existence - it's just not possible to imagine a future lack of self because all thinking is done from the frame of reference of your own consciousness. How could a conscious being possibly visualise unconsciousness?

Personally, I don't think we respawn reincarnate or continue living in some way. Avoiding the topic of religion, I agree with the argument that the initial belief in an afterlife was caused by a fear of death. Theism facilitated this belief.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#40 2016-10-06 13:43:21

Insanity

Science and Religion don't mix.

If you want to be religious, and as result, completely ignant to scientific discovery, nobody can stop you.

But when someone states the obvious fact that science is real, and religion is not, don't be that fool to try and refute 100s of years of evidence and discovery with "muh, god is a beast and science is bs"

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#41 2016-10-06 15:10:01

MBlood

Pingohits wrote:

there's this short story called The Egg by Andy Weir, it's really interesting and touches on topics such as life after death and reincarnation.

Didn't expect it to be that good.

Away.

Wooted by:

#42 2016-10-06 16:31:15

Anatoly

Yes, people! Do that! Fight for me in this topic!

#43 2016-10-06 19:00:39, last edited by Swarth100 (2016-10-06 19:01:39)

Swarth100

Insanity wrote:

Science and Religion don't mix.

If you want to be religious, and as result, completely ignant to scientific discovery, nobody can stop you.

But when someone states the obvious fact that science is real, and religion is not, don't be that fool to try and refute 100s of years of evidence and discovery with "muh, god is a beast and science is bs"

I'm very sorry to hear this, as it is a very common misunderstanding.

Let's look at science and religion seperately.

What is Science? Science is the analysis of what we can observe and measure in our surrounding environment/world/space. Science requires a fact, which is proven to be true (i.e. light speed is measured to be 300 000 km/s) and through further observation and experiments states conclusions knows as scientific laws or principles (i.e. no particle with mass can go at a greater speed than light).

What is Religion? Religion is believing in ideas or ideals which cannot be proven to be right or wrong by facts. Religion is a way of thinking that looks at fields not analysable by science. The existance of God, the presence of a soul, and, to an extent, our free will, are all "things" that science cannot talk about, and should not talk about. Why? Well, they defy the scientific method as you cannot sense, measure or feel God, nor can you carry scientific experiments over him.

Common misconceptions:

Among Religious people. There are some people which believe that religion should have a say in the scientific field (i.e. They deny evolution, bull***** on the age of the earth, etc). Now science is the LOGIC observation and measurement of what is around us. Science comes with LOGICAL PROOFS. Anyone trying to deny anything that has been said by science, I'm sorry to say, is just a complete idiot. It's just like saying that the sun is green because you read it in a book. You can see it is NOT green, you measure its colour NOT to be green, but you want to believe something else. Unfortunately there are many people like this around and not only are they a SHAME for any religious community, but they also lack some basic mental functions.

Among Scientists. There are a number of scientists that believe that everything which isn't measureable or analysable with the tools of science does not exist. They thus deny the existence of God. The problem science NEEDS to be able to measure something to say if it is right or wrong, or to say if it exists or not (i.e particles that travel at speeds faster than light do not exist according to the current scientific laws). What scientific laws could be applied to God? None I believe.

A general FYI for those claiming that science can explain everything. The Big Bang as of now CANNOT be explained. All known scientific laws can only be applied some 1/10^40 s AFTER what science believes was an explosion. Yup science BELIEVES the Big Bang existed, it is in fact just a THEORY, as so far by no means was it able to replicate it, analyse it, or have consistent evidence about it.

So just as religion, science has some flaws; but please, PLEASE, remember to keep these too very different disciplines DISTINCT.

#44 2016-10-06 19:09:45

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Wooted by:

#45 2016-10-06 19:27:27

Different55
Forum Admin

Tomahawk wrote:

Humans as sentient organisms aren't able to contemplate their own non-existence - it's just not possible to imagine a future lack of self because all thinking is done from the frame of reference of your own consciousness. How could a conscious being possibly visualise unconsciousness?

One time I was lying there in bed in the early afternoon and suddenly it was evening. I didn't feel rested, I didn't feel like I had fallen asleep or was waking up, time just evaporated. Absolutely nothing happened to me that I'm aware of during those few hours. Even when you're sleeping you're sort of aware of the passage of time, but this was a total blank. I imagine death would be something like that but if there's no afterlife there'd be no snapping out of it on the other side.

As far as my beliefs I hope there's an afterlife but I can't say one way or the other. Nobody's exactly reported back and the people that sort of have can all be dismissed with "You're dying, your brain is screwy and untrustworthy." So unless the rapture starts some time within my life all I got is "It'd sure be nice if there was." I still go through the motions even though I just hope more than I believe because even if it's all fake they still seem like solid rules to live by. Too many people take religion too far to the point of ignoring or rejecting what's right in front of them. If any religion is true then there should always be a way of reconciling it with whatever you see in the real world. But that's getting a bit off the topic of an afterlife I guess.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#46 2016-10-06 19:39:17

hummerz5

interesting points that slightly differ from the topic

I agree. I'm really not totally on board with the whole religion thing right now, but they have some good values to have and my brand of religion is quite laid back as it is. There's a nice community aspect to the smaller religious bunches which isn't so bad.

The folks who don't exist basically cease all time until something happens, which imo is p cool. IF there was some after-life that takes even billions upon billions of years to reach outside of us, it would reach our consciousness immediately. (In theory).

If people understood more about the brain, would we discredit religion/souls more?

also: I don't know. Also: I moved the topic because this seems based in debate

#47 2016-10-06 19:47:45

Kessiope

I' alone on EE now ! Toop don't answer to this //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

#48 2016-10-06 21:16:31

Ratburntro44
Website

the claim that one "can't prove a negative" is folk logic at best, and hardly related to the rest of your post

also conflict thesis is ahistorical ********

Wooted by:

#49 2016-10-07 00:31:47

Bobithan

No assumptions need to be made beyond that of the proposition to argue whether or not there is or is not an afterlife; therefore, both arguments are equally valid. Russel's Teapot has no bearing on the idea of an afterlife, much less the existence of a God.

aka towwl

#50 2016-10-07 00:35:57

Bimps

no i dont believe there is a postlife. but if there is, i would want it to be an eternal dream. neverending. i would love that honestly

Wooted by:
Anatoly1476114936628997

Board footer