Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

jakery

Easter contest thoughts...

Note: I did not enter the Easter contest, so, as my dad says, "I don't have a horse in this fight."

It seems there are still some hurt feelings lingering for those who entered the contest and didn't win. I want to share some thoughts.

For those who won
There have been complaints about medals in sigs to display your win.

Putting medals in forum sigs is a bit much. The medals get re-displayed on every post you've ever made, so you're constantly reminding the whole forum that you won. It's a fine line between being proud and being a show-off.

On the other hand, I'm sure I would do the same if I was in your shoes. You're proud of your work and the recognition you received. You like having it in your sig because you feel good about the win. There's nothing wrong with that. You're free to do whatever you want. I'm just giving you something to think about.

For those who lost

When my hard work and talent seems to go ignored or unappreciated in a contest, that stings. In my life I've won a couple of contests that I cared about, and I've lost dozens that I really cared about. Losing a contest hurts. The more praise I get after losing, the worse I feel. After losing I don't hate the winners or the judges; I hate the whole contest and feel like an idiot for even trying.

If this sounds familiar to you then we're cut from the same cloth. The truth is I don't have an easy answer. I don't know how to fully beat the depression that comes with a loss. What I have learned is to rethink my participation in contests: Enter contests expecting to lose. And by that I don't mean, "Don't get your hopes up;" I mean this:

I WILL lose, despite how much I deserve to win. The judges are all morons and wouldn't know talent if it bit them in the )). I'm here because I like putting my talent on display and meeting other people with similar interests.

I forgot there were any prizes. I never thought about them, and I never pictured myself having those prizes or using them.

When the winners are announced, I'm not going to be one of them. I'm not the least bit surprised; The judges play golf with the winners' parents on weekends. Besides, the awards are meaningless. The awards ceremony is a planned show, and I'm not written in. When the show is over, I'll applaud and move on. It was a good show.

I'm not implying that the Easter contest was rigged; I'm demonstrating that you should do whatever it takes to convince yourself that winning is not the goal. Contests like this are meant to be fun exhibitions. If losing a contest will wreck your experience, do yourself a favor and do not participate; you're in for lots of hurt.

Trust me... I'm speaking from experience.

For those who designed the contest
Keep making contests.

Last edited by jakery (Apr 27 2011 9:26:47 am)

#2 Before February 2015

Pawlowic

Re: Easter contest thoughts...

I totally Agree. +1 Rep //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#3 Before February 2015

Kaosslasher

Meh, idk what you say, i still think its stupid judging by the challenges / minis instead of art :S

#4 Before February 2015

TheGreenTroll

the people whom lost shall ST*U.

THe only thing that annoys me is that there were 5 first placers. WTH? Pure retardation... pure retardation.

#5 Before February 2015

musuki

Kaosslasher wrote:

Meh, idk what you say, i still think its stupid judging by the challenges / minis instead of art :S

Why is it stupid to judge a level by its gameplay?

#6 Before February 2015

bobofawesome

I like your smiley thing at the bottom

#7 Before February 2015

DK Levels

musuki wrote:
Kaosslasher wrote:

Why is it stupid to judge a level by its gameplay?

This.
Rooms are made to be played, not just so they look 'pretty' And I'm pretty sure they judged art as well as game play //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
Oh and also, about the sig thing, I only put it there because I am pretty proud, since I didn't even place last time.
I do agree with you though, it does seem like I'm showing off, so I'm going to change it as soon as I get back on my normal computer, its been long enough...   //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#8 Before February 2015

vladinskiID

very very cool //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

#9 Before February 2015

EE_Scythe

100% Agreed...

#10 Before February 2015

NuclearWar

We're cut from the same cloth //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#11 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

vlad, you are crazy.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#12 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

I'd +rep you, but I already have in the past 6 hours for some reason or another.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

jakery 142386546895964

Board footer