Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-08-28 02:40:09

hummerz5

Re: About copyright...

... actually you're right no one cares? I guess I picture this as something where if everyone got upset then someone would do something. But no, I don't think anything copyright-ish goes anywhere beyond community acceptance at this point.

#27 2016-08-28 04:01:42

Xfrogman43

I forgot who, but they copied Jabatheblob1's Death Run bot a few days after jaba made it and nobody did anything

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#28 2016-08-28 10:34:25

Zumza

A simple solution would be to revive the League of Androids, so we can have democratic solutions for a variety of problems. Therefor if lets say we will vote for establish an EE Patent Secretary, those who don't follow the rules would simply get out of our group. In rare cases, we could establish a person who will represent us in the EE staff(e.g. Processor) and take a further step in big problems.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#29 2016-08-28 10:34:48

Processor

The community can have their own opinion on bot copiers. They can boo the creator and not play that level if it is against their morals.

We, the staff, won't enforce any rules that limit creativity.

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

Wooted by:

#30 2016-08-28 13:35:11

den3107

Tomahawk wrote:
hummerz5 wrote:

Are you suggesting we shouldn't allow copying of generic bot-related ideas (as a community)?

I'm fine with copying generic bots, like dig and snake. However, popular private bots like Bombot, YoScroll, EX Shift and so on have made their own little niche, and should be left alone. People should make new bots instead.

To what extent will copying be copying though? For example my Dueler BAL, is somewhat the same a Shift (so yes, I copied from it), yet still bring in a completely different mechanic (with the teams and stuff) (so it's not JUST Shift anymore, still "illegal" according to above rule?).

Tomahawk wrote:

So admins/mods will address a bot-copying complaint seriously?.

As Processor seems to suggest, yes, but only when literally copying code and claiming it as yours. Claiming a bot idea (eg Shift) as yours would be faulty, and you'd get angry replies, but would not result in your bot being forcibly shut down, unless you refuse to correct yourself after a warning.

Also: I indeed to think original bot ideas should be promoted, but I think duplicates aren't that bad either:
Imagine Digbot, it's so overdone that there's always a digbot running at least once a week.
now that's a good thing! So long all the digbots are somewhat decent, the people that enjoy digbots can actually play them when they want to!
So now they don't have to wait for that single person to come online for 1 hour once every 2 weeks.
Obviously the decent part would here be a bit of a problem, since with Shift, you'd usually lack good levels, Yo!Scroll would probably lack a decent randomness and Bombot would probably be buggy and unbalanced (since people decide to change room size or add all kinds of random stuff).

den31071472387711621156

Board footer