Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-08-05 16:47:12, last edited by radical roman (2016-08-05 16:48:07)

radical roman
Anonymous user

Re: Is trans sexuality a mental illness?

Master_Maggot wrote:

"I-I'M N-NOT PRETENTIOUS!!! YOU'RE J-JUST DUMB!"
What I'm talking about goes beyond simply using medical terms.

Elaborate.

Master_Maggot wrote:

Fine, postpartum depression is an obvious one. Pretty sure bipolar disorder or other mood disorders can often be caused by hormonal imbalances. Depression is frequently caused by hormonal imbalances. All of these are unquestionably mental illnesses, all caused by hormonal imbalances. You still have yet to say how your hormonal balance is in any way different or special. What makes it so special that it gets its own safe space out from under the umbrella of "mental illness"?

It is almost as if you hadn't read my previous reply,
"By definition, mental illness is simply a term for anything psychologically unwanted; gender dysphoria is largely a hormonal defect, the psychogenic debate isn't merely binary in biological etiology.
It would be intellectually lazy to dismiss the neurological relationship within gender dysphoria and the opposite sex."

You can use mental illness as a blanket term for nearly anything, considering the generic definition it has.

#27 2016-08-05 20:42:10

Master_Maggot
Anonymous user

radical roman wrote:

Elaborate.

How about here, no medical terms, maximum pretentiousness still achieved. Not commenting on content, just phrasing.

radical roman wrote:

I would prefer not to spend my time debunking a collection of political arguments, especially those which do not specifically cite any politically independent, scientific sources.

radical roman wrote:

You can use mental illness as a blanket term for nearly anything, considering the generic definition it has.

Well that's exactly it, my question is what is transsexuality doing out from under the blanket?

#28 2016-08-09 23:23:48

bold-bat
Anonymous user

This is so cringeworthy

#29 2016-08-10 01:03:57

asinine-Artist
Anonymous user

so would transgenderism be a birth defect then? or a disease or something?

a physical or biochemical abnormality that is present at birth and that may be inherited or the result of environmental influence.

A disease is a particular abnormal condition, a disorder of a structure or function, that affects part or all of an organism

#30 2016-09-26 03:09:34

Lanky_laxative
Anonymous user

hi! actual trans person here. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

asinine-Artist wrote:

so would transgenderism be a birth defect then? or a disease or something?

a physical or biochemical abnormality that is present at birth and that may be inherited or the result of environmental influence.

A disease is a particular abnormal condition, a disorder of a structure or function, that affects part or all of an organism

transgender isn't a birth defect. a birth defect is something usually inherited at/before birth that causes physical effects (e.g. messed up chromosomes or body parts). transgender doesnt cause any physical defects at birth.

it's not a disease either. diseases are contracted- being transgender cant be "contracted".

being trans isnt a mental illness because it goes beyond the way people think, feel, behave and act. being trans isnt "i feel/think i am (this gender)". it's "i am (this gender)". period. also, it doesnt have to absolutely mean you're "cutting off" your genitals. only some transgender people feel like they have the wrong genitals; it's more than "i was born with (male/female) body parts but should have (female/male) body parts".

even before the idea that your gender isn't specifically male or female, some trans people who are the gender opposite of the sex assigned from them at birth don't terribly mind keeping their body parts as they are. it all depends on how much gender dysphoria you receive, and in what places of your life you receive it in.

#31 2016-09-26 03:13:47

Unpaid_Usher
Anonymous user

Lanky_laxative wrote:

t's not a disease either. diseases are contracted-

not true. Asthma (for example) is a disease and isn't contracted, you can be born with it.

I personally believe that it is a disease but it doesn't mean it is wrong. If having a sex change is the treatment then ok, have your treatment and I hope it makes you happy, I have no problem with that. But it is a disease and isn't normal.

#32 2016-09-26 03:15:12

fair fish
Anonymous user

yes it is a mental illness, no people should not mutilate their own bodies because of it

#33 2016-09-26 03:37:24

Foul fireman
Anonymous user

Lanky_laxative wrote:

being trans isnt a mental illness because it goes beyond the way people think, feel, behave and act. being trans isnt "i feel/think i am (this gender)". it's "i am (this gender)".

You say you are, because you think you are.

This woman says she's a cat. She's not really a cat, it's only a mental disorder.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLmwLcLikXQ[/youtube]

Until 2012, it was referred to as a mental disorder by the American Psychiatric Association.
Source: http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/ … ic-manual/

They stopped calling is a mental disorder, and redefined what a mental disorder is, because it upset people.

#34 2016-09-26 03:39:13

Dumb_dan
Anonymous user

Foul fireman wrote:

This woman says she's a cat. She's not really a cat, it's only a mental disorder.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLmwLcLikXQ[/youtube]

You could argue that cats aren't part of society, while gender already is.

Board footer