Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-30 18:18:21, last edited by horse-horse (2016-07-30 18:34:15)

horse-horse
Anonymous user

Is trans sexuality a mental illness?

As the title states, do you think trans sexuality is a mental illness? If no, should it be "normalized"?

VIDEO MIGHT HAVE SLIGHT NOT SAFE FOR WORK IMAGES

www.sexchangeregret.com

#2 2016-07-30 18:22:57, last edited by eccentric Emu (2016-07-30 18:30:58)

eccentric Emu
Anonymous user

Re: Is trans sexuality a mental illness?

The people who have a sex change as a fetish/sexual pleasure should not be grouped with those who do not identify as the body they were born in.

Sex change is not perfect and even those who are transsexual still aren't treated as the person they want to be.

It isn't curable but people can cope in a number of ways.
I wouldn't call it an illness, more like abnormality.
If I had 1 wish it would be for everyone to be born in the body they would feel right in.

#3 2016-07-30 18:24:09

vile voter
Anonymous user

I think it technically is a mental illness in that it isn't the norm, but it's not something that needs to be "fixed" via something like sterilization or anything other than a sex change.

#4 2016-08-04 17:14:11

asinine-Artist
Anonymous user

I do think it is a mental illness. whether a cure should be found or not is a different debate.

#5 2016-08-04 18:54:37

Dumb_dan
Anonymous user

I think that changing one's body to such extreme levels is unhealthy and should be discouraged.

#6 2016-08-04 18:56:08

killer-kidnapper
Anonymous user

totes mental illness n should be treated as such
enabling them would only make it worse

#7 2016-08-05 04:53:27

radical roman
Anonymous user

The proper term is transgender, and no; it's classified as a dysphoria.

#8 2016-08-05 05:23:27

Master_Maggot
Anonymous user

radical roman wrote:

What makes that its own thing rather than a category of mental illness?

#9 2016-08-05 06:43:31, last edited by radical roman (2016-08-05 06:55:53)

radical roman
Anonymous user

asinine-Artist wrote:

I do think it is a mental illness. whether a cure should be found or not is a different debate.

Master_Maggot wrote:
radical roman wrote:

What makes that its own thing rather than a category of mental illness?

The issue isn't an inability to recognise the reality of their physicality, rather it's a discomfort with their perceived sex.

Dumb_dan wrote:

I think that changing one's body to such extreme levels is unhealthy and should be discouraged.

Any reasonable cognitive person should be able to modify their body, lest they do it themselves.

killer-kidnapper wrote:

totes mental illness n should be treated as such
enabling them would only make it worse

Nearly half of transgender people commit suicide, and a large amount of them are harassed, attacked and murdered.
Studies indicate that transgender people have an extremely high rate of suicide attempts; one study of 6,450 transgender people in the United States found 41% had attempted suicide, compared to a national average of 1.6%. - Wikipedia
Currently, there have been few recent studies on the matter, I would strongly advocate for further evaluations of new-age persons within the next few years, considering sexuality acceptance has been progressing rapidly within the last decade.

Also, that site s controlled by a right wing activist, and a contributor of an anti-LGBT, anti-abortion, the typically conservative site - TheFederalist.com.
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/06/02 … and/203855

#10 2016-08-05 07:36:30

Master_Maggot
Anonymous user

radical roman wrote:

The issue isn't an inability to recognise the reality of their physicality, rather it's a discomfort with their perceived sex.

Alright but a lot of mental illnesses make people uncomfortable. For example that is literally OCD in a nutshell. People with OCD have a defect in their brain that makes the part of their brain responsible for disgust totally flip out. I just don't see how a defect in the parts of the brain responsible for identity or whatever is not a mental illness but any other kind of mental abnormality is. What makes this abnormality different?

#11 2016-08-05 07:54:41, last edited by Dumb_dan (2016-08-05 07:59:17)

Dumb_dan
Anonymous user

radical roman wrote:
Dumb_dan wrote:

Any reasonable cognitive person should be able to modify their body, lest they do it themselves.

I think it should be legal, but people should be aware of the potential issues that can come with it.

#12 2016-08-05 07:56:43

Master_Maggot
Anonymous user

I don't think I worded that great. What I'm trying to say is

To my knowledge, there's nothing about transgenderism that isn't seen in at least several mental illnesses. What is so special about it that pushes it out of the category of mental illness?

#13 2016-08-05 08:19:16, last edited by radical roman (2016-08-05 08:20:14)

radical roman
Anonymous user

Master_Maggot wrote:
radical roman wrote:

Alright but a lot of mental illnesses make people uncomfortable. For example that is literally OCD in a nutshell. People with OCD have a defect in their brain that makes the part of their brain responsible for disgust totally flip out. I just don't see how a defect in the parts of the brain responsible for identity or whatever is not a mental illness but any other kind of mental abnormality is. What makes this abnormality different?

By definition, mental illness is simply a term for anything psychologically unwanted; gender dysphoria is largely a hormonal defect, the psychogenic debate isn't merely binary in biological etiology.
It would be intellectually lazy to dismiss the neurological relationship within gender dysphoria and the opposite sex.

#14 2016-08-05 13:39:15

Master_Maggot
Anonymous user

radical roman wrote:
Master_Maggot wrote:
radical roman wrote:

By definition, mental illness is simply a term for anything psychologically unwanted; gender dysphoria is largely a hormonal defect, the psychogenic debate isn't merely binary in biological etiology.
It would be intellectually lazy to dismiss the neurological relationship within gender dysphoria and the opposite sex.

Yeah yeah you're very smart and need to show that off by using big words to stroke your ego. But again I'm pretty sure transgenderism has lots of mental illness pals that are also caused by a hormonal imbalance. What makes this hormonal imbalance different from every other?

#15 2016-08-05 14:44:16

radical roman
Anonymous user

Master_Maggot wrote:

Yeah yeah you're very smart and need to show that off by using big words to stroke your ego. But again I'm pretty sure transgenderism has lots of mental illness pals that are also caused by a hormonal imbalance. What makes this hormonal imbalance different from every other?

If you think medical/biological terminology merits pseudo-intellectual remarks, I feel very bad for your teachers.
Would you like to specify some examples? It would be better refutation material than "I'm pretty sure x y z".

Wooted by:

#16 2016-08-05 15:05:20

horse-horse
Anonymous user

Imagine treating people with Anorexia by chopping off their stomachs.
Imagine treating people with Bulimia by giving them puke medicine.
Imagine treating people with Body Dysmorphia by giving them steroids.

Now imagine that treating individuals with Gender Dysphoria is called transitioning where a mentally ill individual gets life-modifying hormones that re-shape their cosmetic appearance, and after that they get their balls slashed off and **** rearranged, or the other way around.

Also: https://www.acpeds.org/the-college-spea … s-children

#17 2016-08-05 15:44:22, last edited by radical roman (2016-08-05 15:47:37)

radical roman
Anonymous user

horse-horse wrote:

Imagine treating people with Anorexia by chopping off their stomachs.
Imagine treating people with Bulimia by giving them puke medicine.
Imagine treating people with Body Dysmorphia by giving them steroids.

Now imagine that treating individuals with Gender Dysphoria is called transitioning where a mentally ill individual gets life-modifying hormones that re-shape their cosmetic appearance, and after that they get their balls slashed off and **** rearranged, or the other way around.

The treatment of gender dysphoria isn't a damaging modification, and the result of non-treatment is suicide;
people diagnosed with gender dysphoria are thoroughly evaluated for any mental illnesses by several psychologists prior to treatment, which includes HRT.
Additionally, gastric bypass surgery is truly damaging on non-obese people of a strictly maintained BMI.

Also, "The American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds) is a small, socially conservative advocacy group of pediatricians and other healthcare professionals in the United States.".
It isn't an independent non-political scientific committee.

Wooted by: (2)

#18 2016-08-05 15:47:37, last edited by horse-horse (2016-08-05 15:52:37)

horse-horse
Anonymous user

radical roman wrote:

Also, "The American College of Pediatricians (ACPeds) is a small, socially conservative advocacy group of pediatricians and other healthcare professionals in the United States.".
It isn't an independent non-political scientific committee.

Nice ad hominem you made there. Care to read the page first instead of directly aiming to criticize the source in a poor attempt to discredit them? You directly googled the name and went to wikipedia and quoted it as if it was any argument.

radical roman wrote:

Also, that site s controlled by a right wing activist, and a contributor of an anti-LGBT, anti-abortion, the typically conservative site - TheFederalist.com.

Same as you did here.

#19 2016-08-05 15:54:07

radical roman
Anonymous user

It isn't an ad-hominem, their organisation represents an ideology, and I only advocate for independent non-political scientific studies, from organisations with funding from non-corporate and/or bipartisan councils.
I would prefer not to spend my time debunking a collection of political arguments, especially those which do not specifically cite any politically independent, scientific sources.

#20 2016-08-05 15:59:42, last edited by Useful upgrade (2016-08-05 16:01:06)

Useful upgrade
Anonymous user

Discussions like this make me feel uneasy, it's mostly people not knowing anything about transgenders telling others how transgenders should be threated. I'd say find a transgender person to talk with about it instead of starting a discussion with other people who probably don't know much about the subject.
If you are respectful, and ask a question related to this on a transgender forum, I think you'll have a lot more to gain than from this topic.

#21 2016-08-05 16:03:41

horse-horse
Anonymous user

radical roman wrote:

It isn't an ad-hominem, their organisation represents an ideology, and I only advocate for independent non-political scientific studies, from organisations with funding from non-corporate and/or bipartisan councils.
I would prefer not to spend my time debunking a collection of political arguments, especially those which do not specifically cite any politically independent, scientific sources.

What sources have you provided? Wikipedia?

I doubt you have spent any second checking the sources they've provided, you've gone directly to check if they're conservative and automatically dismissed any of the sources, including the World Health Organization.

#22 2016-08-05 16:19:24, last edited by radical roman (2016-08-05 16:22:51)

radical roman
Anonymous user

horse-horse wrote:
radical roman wrote:

I doubt you have spent any second checking the sources they've provided, you've gone directly to check if they're conservative and automatically dismissed any of the sources, including the World Health Organization.

It is a carcinogen, I doubt you have spent any time researching what the World Health Organisation citation is about, nor what IARC categories are.
Simply put, the IARC categories tell you strength of the scientific evidence of something causing cancer, not how dangerous it is.

The Group 1 classification contains many things, such as cigarettes, plutonium, wood dust, and soot from chimneys.
Not all of those are equally dangerous. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Oh, and here's your citations:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanon … 1/fulltext
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercaus … arcinogens
http://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/ci … icad38.pdf

#23 2016-08-05 16:22:28

horse-horse
Anonymous user

radical roman wrote:
horse-horse wrote:
radical roman wrote:

It is a carcinogen, I doubt you have spent any time researching what the World Health Organisation citation is about, nor what IARC categories are.
Simply put, the IARC categories tell you strength of the scientific evidence of something causing cancer, not how dangerous it is.

The Group 1 classification contains many things, such as cigarettes, plutonium, wood dust, and soot from chimneys.
Not all of those are equally dangerous. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

That's not the point, the point is that you've dismissed the sources instantly instead of reading it. Again, provide sources (not for this specific quoted thing) for your claims.

#24 2016-08-05 16:24:56, last edited by radical roman (2016-08-05 16:29:10)

radical roman
Anonymous user

I have now provided sources, including ones from the WHO and Cancer.org, see my edited post. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Again, I only advocate for independent non-political scientific studies, from organisations with funding from non-corporate and/or bipartisan councils.
Why? Because I expect studies to be scientifically literate, bipartisan, peer-reviewed and comprehensive.

#25 2016-08-05 16:38:59

Master_Maggot
Anonymous user

radical roman wrote:
Master_Maggot wrote:

If you think medical/biological terminology merits pseudo-intellectual remarks, I feel very bad for your teachers.

"I-I'M N-NOT PRETENTIOUS!!! YOU'RE J-JUST DUMB!"
What I'm talking about goes beyond simply using medical terms.

radical roman wrote:

Would you like to specify some examples? It would be better refutation material than "I'm pretty sure x y z".

Fine, postpartum depression is an obvious one. Pretty sure bipolar disorder or other mood disorders can often be caused by hormonal imbalances. Depression is frequently caused by hormonal imbalances. All of these are unquestionably mental illnesses, all caused by hormonal imbalances. You still have yet to say how your hormonal balance is in any way different or special. What makes it so special that it gets its own safe space out from under the umbrella of "mental illness"?

Board footer