Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-02-21 19:28:08

skullz17

Re: what is the meaning of life

N1KF wrote:
skullz17 wrote:

There is no reason for life, no one decided its existence, it just happened.

How do you know there's no reason for life? And I'd argue against the idea that life "just happened" but that may just be a topic for another time.

Who does a life benefit besides other lives? If all life suddenly ended, would there be anyone left to care? I say no, but the answer depends on your faith.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#27 2017-02-21 20:01:03

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Tomahawk wrote:

The purpose of life is to pursue pleasure and avoid pain, in the most abstract sense of the terms.

Who is to say that pleasure is the most important thing in life? Why not work, for example? One may not enjoy work but it helps other people more than just making yourself happy. In a way, work is more important than just simple pleasure. What about wisdom? Why shouldn't the purpose of life to become wiser? Or smarter? Or more powerful? etc.

skullz17 wrote:
N1KF wrote:
skullz17 wrote:

How do you know there's no reason for life? And I'd argue against the idea that life "just happened" but that may just be a topic for another time.

Who does a life benefit besides other lives? If all life suddenly ended, would there be anyone left to care? I say no, but the answer depends on your faith.

So, your point is that the existence of life wouldn't benefit a creator? If that's your argument, could you also argue that having a child wouldn't benefit their parent(s)?

#28 2017-02-21 20:07:02

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

N1KF wrote:

Who is to say that pleasure is the most important thing in life?

I did clarify that.

*quotes himself like a nub*

Tomahawk wrote:

so it's not really a purpose of life so much as an observation of the motive behind all sentient beings' actions in life.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#29 2017-02-21 20:09:21

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Tomahawk wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Who is to say that pleasure is the most important thing in life?

I did clarify that.

*quotes himself like a nub*

Tomahawk wrote:

so it's not really a purpose of life so much as an observation of the motive behind all sentient beings' actions in life.

Can we be sure that pleasure is truly the motive behind everybody's actions?

#30 2017-02-21 21:08:56

skullz17

N1KF wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

The purpose of life is to pursue pleasure and avoid pain, in the most abstract sense of the terms.

Who is to say that pleasure is the most important thing in life? Why not work, for example? One may not enjoy work but it helps other people more than just making yourself happy. In a way, work is more important than just simple pleasure. What about wisdom? Why shouldn't the purpose of life to become wiser? Or smarter? Or more powerful? etc.

skullz17 wrote:
N1KF wrote:
skullz17 wrote:

So, your point is that the existence of life wouldn't benefit a creator? If that's your argument, could you also argue that having a child wouldn't benefit their parent(s)?

I'm saying I don't believe in a creator (if you mean God). And that analogy doesn't work because I'm talking about life in general. The concept of life itself. If you want to look at it case by case, it's different for everyone. If you want to generalise it, ultimately it comes down to happiness and inner peace, that is what we all want I think.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#31 2017-02-21 21:28:52, last edited by Tomahawk (2017-02-21 21:52:07)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

N1KF wrote:

Can we be sure that pleasure is truly the motive behind everybody's actions?

Yep. Consider anything you've ever done and you'll realise that you did it either for pleasure or to lessen pain, which in itself could be viewed as a form of pleasure.

EDIT: For instance:

N1KF wrote:

One may not enjoy work but it helps other people more than just making yourself happy.

Helping other people by providing charity is also a form of pleasure - i.e. voluntarily causing other people to feel pleasure increases your own. You wouldn't do something you didn't enjoy if the benefits weren't greater than the negatives - if the pleasure gained wasn't greater than the pain endured.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#32 2017-02-28 21:24:12

Bimps

N1KF wrote:
Bimps wrote:

there is no meaning. just do what you do

[citation needed]

citation: my brain

#33 2017-02-28 21:26:30

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Bimps wrote:
N1KF wrote:
Bimps wrote:

there is no meaning. just do what you do

[citation needed]

citation: my brain

No you're wrong because my brain says so!

#34 2017-03-01 04:35:18

Onjit
Website

Well obiously this kind of thread is just an excuse to circlej-

Onjit wrote:

to circlejerk about philosophy

Oh.

:.|:;

Wooted by:

#35 2017-03-01 09:01:21

Abelysk

Guys think about this

A flower grows and blooms and dies

Imagine that process

Now apply that to humans. All we're made for is survival. The perception of consciousness we are accustomed to is simply a result of our inflated intelligence. All we're made for is structuring the world around our needs. We've rooted our presence into the planet and are changing it to our society's needs and tastes. That's all.

#36 2017-03-01 18:29:17

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Kefka wrote:

Guys think about this

Imagine that process

Now apply that to humans. All we're made for is survival. The perception of consciousness we are accustomed to is simply a result of our inflated intelligence. All we're made for is structuring the world around our needs. We've rooted our presence into the planet and are changing it to our society's needs and tastes. That's all.

[citation needed]

#37 2017-03-01 22:15:09

Pingohits
Banned

it's practical to believe humankind is trivial, we are on a rocky ball hurdling through space at enormous speeds, and we're worried about the vase we ordered two weeks ago hasn't come up in the mail

but yet again, it is practical to make life worth at least something; if you're at a dead-end job working miserable hours with other miserable co-workers, why be like them? it's easier to treat it with optimism and dignity, instead of making it harder for yourself

the same goes with life; we may or may not know the true purpose of why we are here, but it's optimal to make it worthwhile

791mAP8.png

#38 2017-03-01 23:10:37

Abelysk

N1KF wrote:
Kefka wrote:

Guys think about this

Imagine that process

[citation needed]

Your computer is a prime example of a bi-product of humans needing things to make living easier. We live, improve the world for our society, and die.

#39 2017-03-02 01:00:15, last edited by hummerz5 (2017-03-02 18:04:21)

Bimps

N1KF wrote:
Kefka wrote:

Guys think about this

Imagine that process

[citation needed]

thank you
(edit: clarify: snipped)

Wooted by:

#40 2017-03-04 18:51:02

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

here are my answers and i will not debate because i am a stubborn ninja

1) to die
think we all die in the end right there's no fountain of youth or anything right

2) to invent religion to invent a meaning of life
what does religion do? invent gods who made stuff like us

3) to ask the meaning of life
what are you doing here

4) to debate with atilla
because atilla sucks and they thing life is just chemical reactions atilla must have suicidal thoughts how do you claim everything to have no meaning or purpose like seriously your life must be sad

5) to provide pointless answers to questions
^

SirJosh39171488649862649451

Board footer