Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-23 06:40:37

Bobithan

what is the meaning of life

why are we here
what is the purpose of us existing
was life a mistake
were we meant to be
etc
etc

#2 2016-07-23 06:41:41, last edited by Kaslai (2016-07-23 06:42:28)

Kaslai
Official Caroler

Re: what is the meaning of life

<Meme snipped by moderator>

#3 2016-07-23 10:38:41

Zumza

To have good moments.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#4 2016-07-23 10:45:15

Onjit
Website

to circlejerk about philosophy

:.|:;

Wooted by: (2)

#5 2016-07-23 11:58:21

skullz17

There is no reason for life, no one decided its existence, it just happened. The purpose of life differs from person to person and it's up to you how you choose to use the opportunities given to you.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#6 2016-07-23 16:23:26

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

The meaning of life is the answer to the ultimate question of life

suddenly random sig change

#7 2016-07-23 17:27:50

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

idk
to enjoy it?

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#8 2016-07-23 18:05:04, last edited by STD (2016-07-23 18:05:35)

STD
Formerly BenWanted

random-pictures-316.jpg

#9 2016-07-24 14:02:12

Raven
Formerly Diana2003

To live it to the fullest.

#10 2016-07-24 14:24:02

Koya
Fabulous Member

A wild ride for the attempt for satisfaction - whether that is happiness, achievement or sex (for me it's the first 2).

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#11 2016-07-24 17:43:32

Abelysk

To live and die. Whatever actions you commit while you live affect others, negatively or positively.

#12 2016-07-24 21:01:46, last edited by iPwner (2016-07-24 21:23:07)

iPwner
Website

Well, the question is kind of vague and unclear o-o, so first we need to come up with the QUESTION to find out the answer of the meaning of life before even trying to decipher the "meaning of life" as we currently phrase it, so concurrently the best answer to this heavily flawed question we have is, evidently, 42! ;3

Question a, b, c, d, and e all really make no sense.

a) "What is the meaning of life" <-- We already went over this, what exactly does the "meaning of life" mean?? Are you asking for a dictionary definition? If so, here's the meaning of life: "the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death." -_o Badly phrased question.

b) "Why are we here?" <-- What? Who's "we"? If you're referring to the collection of usernames on this site, firstly, I don't even know if you exist in physical form. A better question would be "why am I here?" I technically have no proof that any of you even exist and are anything more than rogue AI blurting out text into this text-based thought exchanging website. How the hell would I know the answer to why an extremely vague and opaque group referred to as "we" exists? What's "here" even referring to? Again, I might as well just blurt out a random number as the answer to this question because of how opaque and awfully phrased it is, so the answer to this question is, again, 42. :0

c)"What is the purpose of us existing?" <-- Us? Again, WHO THE HELL IS THIS ENTITY KNOWN AS US? o-o Baaaad question! If you want a question with a concurrent answer, please phrase it in a way that actually makes sense.

The best way to find out the already extremely opaque question of "What is the meaning of life?" is to simply ask more clear questions. Such as, "On average, what is the median shade in HTML color code of the Abudhabi sky at 14:00 in the evening using the 24 hour timescale?" Answer this question and we'll be one step closer to discovering the "meaning of life! ;0 But now as is, the best answer you can be provided with, is indeed,

42. L:

ssAARASAAAAAAAAA  iAAAAAAAAAAAAA OU yaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YAAAaa YAAaah; yaayaayaa, yayayaya-ya-ya YAAA YAAAYA; YAYAYA YAAHAYAhAAAAAAAAAA 

EPIOOOOOUUUUUUuuuuuu   IUO0O0oooooooooooppi

;3 0>o ~X_x~ <~(^V^)~> (); ;B ;~; *~<:',',',',',{ Q=(*@`)Q

Im A ®a®ity ®

#13 2016-07-24 21:34:09

iPwner
Website

What is a better question to find out the answer to "the meaning of life"? ;3 It's an incredibly bad question, as we don't even know what we're trying to find out, and people throughout the last 2000+ years of history have been foolish enough to not realize so! :O People have eternally pondered on "the meaning of life" and have been time and time again bamboozled and "starry-eyed", but OF COURSE this would happen because no one even knows what the question "What is the meaning of life?" is trying to elicit from us!!

1. Question  -  a sentence worded or expressed so as to elicit information.
"we hope this leaflet has been helpful in answering your questions"

But the problem with the question "What is the meaning of life?" is that it elicits MORE questions and doesn't request any information, because no one even knows what "the meaning of life" means. If they are asking for the definition of the English word "life", then the question was officially solved on February 1, 1884, when the Oxford English Dictionary was originally published! :0 A better phrased question, if this was the dictionary's goal, would be "What is the most common English Dictionary definition of the word "life"?"

So the challenge here is for you to come up with a completely NON-vague question to comprehend this supposed "meaning of life", whatever that even is supposed to mean. :d

Chop-chop!

ssAARASAAAAAAAAA  iAAAAAAAAAAAAA OU yaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YAAAaa YAAaah; yaayaayaa, yayayaya-ya-ya YAAA YAAAYA; YAYAYA YAAHAYAhAAAAAAAAAA 

EPIOOOOOUUUUUUuuuuuu   IUO0O0oooooooooooppi

;3 0>o ~X_x~ <~(^V^)~> (); ;B ;~; *~<:',',',',',{ Q=(*@`)Q

Im A ®a®ity ®

Wooted by: (4)

#14 2016-07-24 21:35:01

Koya
Fabulous Member

What purpose you you think your life has?

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#15 2016-07-24 21:49:25

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

I think people who talk about "the meaning of life" are wasting their time. Like you said, its an empty question that has no answer. Its just easier to talk about than anything of actual substance.

#16 2016-07-24 21:53:21

Bobithan

iPwner wrote:

What is a better question to find out the answer to "the meaning of life"?

merged with the vague topic since its essentially the same subject

#17 2017-02-21 05:36:18

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Gravedig because this topic is interesting and we need more active debates.

skullz17 wrote:

There is no reason for life, no one decided its existence, it just happened.

How do you know there's no reason for life? And I'd argue against the idea that life "just happened" but that may just be a topic for another time.

The purpose of life differs from person to person and it's up to you how you choose to use the opportunities given to you.

That's like saying that the purpose of the spoon is whatever you make it, whether it be an eating utensil, weapon, or backscratcher. The purpose of a spoon is to make eating easier, no matter what else you can use it for.

Also, I don't get how you can say it "differs" from person to person. Who decides that? Apparently no deities, as your first point would imply.

Okay, since deities are out of the question, let's look at it from a biological point of view. Life's purpose is to have babies and survive. But really, that's like saying the purpose of a PC is to move around numbers and display a visual output without looking at the big picture. You could argue philosophy but I don't think it's anymore than just a bunch of abstract ideas unless you bring in cosmic entities.

Unless you believe in supernatural entities, there's no satisfying answer to the question. Your post tries to say "it's whatever you want" but backpedals by saying "there is no reason for life". I think naturalist atheism and nihilism inherently need to be together to be coherent. Either some supernatural entity/entities exist or life is totally meaningless.

Koya wrote:

A wild ride for the attempt for satisfaction - whether that is happiness, achievement or sex (for me it's the first 2).

What people are "satisfied" by changes on a whim. Especially that latter of the three you bring up. I could write an essay on that alone but that's aside the point. I think you may be confusing shallow desires with internal peace and joy.

What purpose you you think your life has?

To do whatever it takes to make a positive impact on the world by encouraging the behavior of love between people. I will try to serve love. If God exists, and is love, I will try to serve Him too as a result.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#18 2017-02-21 09:30:53

soniiiety

WHAT THE HECK NONE OF YOU KNOW THE Answer ITS HARD TO FIND OUT WHAT THE MEANING IS BUT IF YOU KEEP LOOKING AND ASKING YOU WILL FIND IT ITS TIME FOR ME TO TELL THE GREATEST AND ULTIMATE ANSWER READY.............. it's EVERYLASTING LIFE ON EARTH IN PARADISE JW.org this is the only answer in the universe btw please click the link at your own risk you may be shocked at amazement for lots of answers to life questions btw don't hate me for this we can still al be friends

#19 2017-02-21 10:20:18

XxAtillaxX

Life is a natural chemical phenomenon guided by biological evolution on a multicellular scale.

It's not only conceited to presume life has meaning, but it's also misleading and evocative of human biases.
It's incorrect to pursue meaning, purpose or intent on behalf of the universe, as it's merely an evolved trait.

An example of evolutionary biases, and the absurdity of the question can demonstrated in a simple analogy posed as a question; "Why is the colour blue, blue?"
The universe has no implicit definition of blue as we know it to be, it's merely a particular wavelength on the visible light spectrum. It is what we evolved to perceive it as.

If you were seeking a poetic answer, which typically you'd elicit with philosophical nonsense, the most fitting and accurate, and vaguely conceited one would be a quote by the late Carl Sagan. "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#20 2017-02-21 10:55:40, last edited by Norwee (2017-02-21 10:58:05)

Norwee
Formerly NorwegianboyEE

WE ARE ALL THE RESULT OF A RANDOM CHEMICAL CONCOCTION OF RANDOM CHEMICAL INGREDIENTS IN WHAT WE DEFINE AS A UNIVERSE WITH RANDOM LAWS SOMEHOW RANDOMLY CREATING WHAT WE CALL CELLULAR LIFE WHICH THEN RANDOMLY HAD THE EXACT INGREDIENTS TO MULTIPLY CREATING MORE OF WHAT WE CALL CELLULAR LIFE WHICH THEN RANDOMLY MUTATED INTO MULTI CELLULAR LIFE WHICH SOMEHOW HAPPENED OVER THE ENDLESS FLOW OF WHAT WE CALL TIME AND THEN LATER WE WILL ALL DIE AND THEN MAYBE IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN SOMEWHERE IN THE UNIVERSE MAYBE NOT WE HAVE NO MEANING WE JUST SOMEHOW RANDOMLY EXIST IN THIS WATER-STONE-BALL IN THE UNIVERSE TRYING TO MAKE SENSE OF THE RANDOMNESS AROUND US OUR ONLY PURPOSE IS TO CREATE MORE LIFE AND THEN DIE UNTIL THE NEW LIFE YET AGAIN CREATES MORE LIFE IN AN ENDLESS CYCLE UNTIL THE SUN EXPLODES.

★              ☆        ★        ☆         ★
   ☆    ★                     ★

Wooted by:

#21 2017-02-21 15:26:40

Pingohits
Banned

to make life better for ourselves

791mAP8.png

#22 2017-02-21 15:52:53, last edited by hummerz5 (2017-02-21 16:05:24)

Bimps

hm thought i answered this

there is no meaning. just do what you do
--

soniiiety wrote:

WHAT THE HECK NONE OF YOU KNOW THE Answer ITS HARD TO FIND OUT WHAT THE MEANING IS BUT IF YOU KEEP LOOKING AND ASKING YOU WILL FIND IT ITS TIME FOR ME TO TELL THE GREATEST AND ULTIMATE ANSWER READY.............. it's EVERYLASTING LIFE ON EARTH IN PARADISE JW.org this is the only answer in the universe btw please click the link at your own risk you may be shocked at amazement for lots of answers to life questions btw don't hate me for this we can still al be friends

dont you dare ban me for this you dirty mods, this is a completely different post

you need to give actual reasoning as to why jehovahs witnesses are good. do not say to go to jw.org. explain it youself.

Wooted by:

#23 2017-02-21 17:47:54, last edited by N1KF (2017-02-21 17:48:39)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

soniiiety wrote:

WHAT THE HECK NONE OF YOU KNOW THE Answer ITS HARD TO FIND OUT WHAT THE MEANING IS BUT IF YOU KEEP LOOKING AND ASKING YOU WILL FIND IT ITS TIME FOR ME TO TELL THE GREATEST AND ULTIMATE ANSWER READY.............. it's EVERYLASTING LIFE ON EARTH IN PARADISE

I thought the point of Christianity was to try and live a holy life by following God's commandments, with heaven just being a bonus

Bimps wrote:

there is no meaning. just do what you do

[citation needed]

Everybody Edits is Fred

#24 2017-02-21 17:50:46

Raphe9000

The meaning of life is to procreate in order to continue the survival of the species.

Wooted by:

#25 2017-02-21 18:22:50, last edited by Tomahawk (2017-02-21 18:23:48)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

The purpose of life is to pursue pleasure and avoid pain, in the most abstract sense of the terms. Happiness is a form of pleasure, hunger is a form of pain. To act against this would be the purest definition of insanity, so it's not really a purpose of life so much as an observation of the motive behind all sentient beings' actions in life.

If you're looking for purpose, that's up to you. I doubt you'd appreciate it if someone gave you a life goal and told you to follow it.

Asking if life was a mistake is a loaded question, implying that it was actively created rather than coming about passively and by chance.

I'm sure you'd rather have existed than not, so that answers the rest.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

SirJosh39171488649862649451

Board footer