Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-12 22:30:40, last edited by hummerz5 (2016-06-13 15:38:59)

hummerz5

[Meta!] A Census! [YOU THERE. POST HERE.]

Hey. I bet you thought this was another survey. I do like those...

But no. I ask you, the reader, who is reading these words, to reply. I'm curious to know who reads these forums. Who still is around?

There is but one required question: Which are you: an avid bot user? an inactive bot programmer? a currently active programmer? (some combination?)

Beyond that, I simply want to know you exist. If you want more stuff to say, though,

- Tell us about your upbringing by wolves
- How involved in programming are you? (Do you have a job? Have you never written a line in your life, only to read this terribly boring subforum for some reason?)
- Have you made EE bots in the past?
- What's your favorite color?
- How much do you care to boast about your (possibly overestimated) programming skills?

There have been similar threads, but they were pre-forum move and don't really apply to the now.

TL;DR: please post in this thread now. At least once, but not consecutively. just tell why you're on this subforum, really.

edit: 1984 posts. Orwell.

Wooted by:

#2 2016-06-12 23:12:39

XxAtillaxX

Re: [Meta!] A Census! [YOU THERE. POST HERE.]

As a lonesome and frightened bunny, I was captured by wolves to be eaten alive.
During my captivity, I had devised a plan to escape; a plan that was simple, yet effective, as a programmer, I had prior experience with this sort of discipline.
Over the span of several months, or so -- I can't quite remember -- as I had stopped counting in lieu of the hunger of which I experienced from the depravity of such wolves, I had been digging a hole, day after day.
In the midst of being caught, I had narrowly escaped into the cold winter day, burrowing into nearby hill, with only myself to blame; I should have never left my den past midnight. I surely wouldn't forget this lesson.

I'm pretty involved in programming, though I only do it as a hobby, averaging likely 20 hours a week towards it.
Yes, several (mostly non-interactive).
Pink (currently).
I think anyone who has seen my code can decide for themselves how shoddy I am.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#3 2016-06-12 23:31:12

den3107

Upbringing by wolves in terms of programming?
Got a book, read it, did the assignments, and so far haven't learned that much new stuff.

Studying ICT software development, almost finished 2nd semester (let's hope I actually make it), invited into delta (elite)-trail of study but not going to take it.

I've made EE bots, but my threading implementation is terrible and I still have to think of better ways to do it so my bots become less buggy. I also suck at thinking of new ideas.

Your mom (just kidding, sky blue).

I personally think I have a quite big ego, so whenever I'm proud of something, I try to tell as many people (but somewhat subtle) how awesome I am because I finally made something good out of 100 failures (jk, I'm just plain awesome, everything I make is flawless).

Why I'm here? Still have no idea.

Wooted by:

#4 2016-06-12 23:44:48

Kaslai
Official Caroler

When I was a child, I was eaten by a magical wolf whose insides provided me with all the nutrition and entertainment I could want. I'm definitely not making this up.

I have a programming job and I do EE things once every 2-4 years.

I've made ~4 EE bots in the past, only one of which I have released.

My favorite color is areola pink.

My programming skills are a solid 3 out of 100.

Wooted by:

#5 2016-06-13 00:38:17

hummerz5

I appreciate the captivating responses. I hope that those folks that skip this thread find it eventually.

Now, my response!

I be an inactive bot programmer.
I actually was not brought up by wolves. Kongregate kids will understand.
I'm probably going to learn some of this as I head off to college, but no guarantees. Otherwise my life has been "ooh online tutorial"
I don't really have a favorite color. I suppose I'd pick blue at random.
My last "boasting" question was simply because people won't ever give realistic evaluations of their own abilities. The humble or sarcastic will devalue their abilities; the inexperienced will be quick to boast. So I guess it's a nonquestion. Indeed, "look at my work and judge with your own ability" (not qtd. in Atilla's post) is probably the most accurate response. Answer a question with a question, in essence.

Looking for more responses. Thanks again.

#6 2016-06-13 03:39:43

Xfrogman43

hummerz5 wrote:

//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

hummerz5 wrote:

- How involved in programming are you? (Do you have a job? Have you never written a line in your life, only to read this terribly boring subforum for some reason?)

I'm not as involved as I was when I was 12/13. I get easily distracted so that's probably why. No job... (yet???)... Have written a few simple lines of code. Currently learning how to use Unity to make some pretty dope games.

hummerz5 wrote:

Yes I have. Famously known for Frogbot in 2013 or so.

hummerz5 wrote:

green

hummerz5 wrote:

- How much do you care to boast about your (possibly overestimated) programming skills?

I don't boast about my programming skills because I suck. However, my brothers (older ones) tend to tell people that I program and they think it's amazing. Probably only because they don't program. I can't come up with 'creative/original' ideas because my imagination is as dull as Squidward.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Wooted by:

#7 2016-06-13 22:08:43

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

The wolves were kind to me, as is made clear by my profile picture, which depicts my recently deceased godfather - Fenrir bless his soul.

My programming is and hopefully will always be only a hobby. Getting paid to code feels too much like work, and nothing ruins a hobby quicker than being bribed to do it.

I can't say I've made any bots, as that would imply that I've actually completed them. I'd like to release a public bot, but while I have plenty that are half-built, my motivation turns to dust after coding the core features. I simply cba to do the polishing, bugstomping and future-proofing required to create something that'll allow me to keep hating on lazily-coded bots with any kind of integrity.

Red. The nice kind.

I teach others to code bots, mainly via teamviewer, so let's hope I'm somewhat competent at C#. I try and apply the principles of grammar-naziism to bot coding, without going full Stack-Overflow on people and having them code like processor when he made botbits.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#8 2016-07-03 11:14:29, last edited by DarkDragon4900 (2016-07-03 11:18:44)

DarkDragon4900

The wolves were dragons in my case.

A few months after I joined EE (around 2014), I started with C#, and I'm slowly moving to other languages (too lazy). And it's

Tomahawk wrote:

only a hobby.

But I do enjoy it a lot and it takes a rather large part of my life as a no-lifer.

Private bots, yes, a lot. I tried to make a few BALs before but I was always either too late or couldn't finish it.

Purple.

I wouldn't say that I'm an expert nor a rookie. Enough said.

Wooted by:

#9 2016-07-03 13:00:39

Koya
Fabulous Member

Questions

One wolf that had been there my whole life was trying to do programming for university and sucked at it so I did his coursework for him, no others were computer literate.

Programming is my career as a full stack web developer and designer, I work with C#, Node.js, JavaScript/jQuery, HTML & CSS.

Yes, but they're all awful - I have ideas for new bots but I'll see if I get around to them.

Pink for sure.

I like the minutia, I often spend more time working on the small things rather than the big things - but if there is ever an error it's usually always obvious.
To me my presentation is neat and in an intuitive order so I can return months later and just know where something is (or refer back to an index or diagram to help me through).
My maths is pretty on point so I never have issues with that.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

Wooted by:

#10 2016-07-03 20:35:03

MartenM
Website

What are wolves?

Well because I should not work yet coding is a hobby. Maybe it will be my job maybe not. We will have to see //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

I made my first bot like a month ago. Since then I have made a private bot (cursebot) and at the moment I am working on another private bot.

I see my self as a noob, maybe better than some other noobs, but still a noob.

lm3hgg8.jpg

Ingame: marten22        My steam: MartenM

Wooted by:

#11 2016-07-03 21:32:40

hummerz5

Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback. Looks like we have a grand total of nine programmers in this community.

Good to know.

I mean, this would probably be the most productive if the people with questionable background knowledge stumble into town. Either way, great getting to know everyone.

#12 2016-07-05 04:59:09

ashtoin

Well, hopefully this isn't closed so I'm not making a fool of myself...
Never actually met a wolf. Mostly brought up by cats and video games.
I'm an avid coder, liking to take up personal challenges to make stuff easier for myself, or random games I usually never finish past the concept stage. I'm proficient in Java, can get by in C++ & lua, and came back to everybody edits after a long hiatus as a fun way to learn C#.  I'm actively working on an open-sourced bot called LuaBot, as well as throwing some of my random ideas at my horribly bloated and slow testing bot.
I haven't made any bots in the past other than my current project however.
Something akin to this
I like to think I know what I'm doing, even if I don't strictly follow conventions... (I like to abuse threads. A lot. Usually stuff I make is either non-threadsafe, or too threadsafe)

After approximately a long time of being idle...
I've finally found the time, energy, and inspiration to begin...
Announcing...
the long-awaited sequal..
with an actual GUI...
event-based system instead of threads...
..nope never mind out of inspiration. I'll be back in another month or two.
It's here: LuaBot 2.0! (Hopefully we fixed that missing DLL problem)

Wooted by:

#13 2016-07-12 17:35:42

John

I'm still alive.

I was taught by Atilla and Showpath many, many years ago.

I C# every other day. I work at a software company and I am forced to use 4D.

Yes, I've made quite a few. Most of them are private though. I'm sure there is a thread on them somewhere, I am slowly reviving each one of them.

Blue, but I'm partially colorblind.

Boasting is bad

PW?scale=2

Wooted by:
John1468341342612260

Board footer