Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-02 02:00:36

hummerz5

A Demographic Question

Sort of. Have we done a survey or something to see what fraction of our EE bot community uses "SDK"s or other aides other than the playerIOclient?

That, and how many programmers are still here?

I feel like someone probably has made a survey, or the question has come up at some point. This question sorta connects to other questions, but that's out of the scope.

If you guys know of any demographic data we might've scrounged up, could you forward that sweet sweet link?

#2 2016-06-02 08:57:50

den3107

Re: A Demographic Question

First off: That list will never be complete as most people aren't active enough as this post will die out by the time they check the forums again (if at all).
What do you call a programmer? Somebody who tries to code, somebody who gets spooned all his code, somebody who actually studies it, somebody who already has a programming-related job?
Wheredoyoudrawthelineonanimalsforfood.jpg
There have been surveys about what programming language most people like to use, but I don't think this exact question, though you could vaguely guess by estimating the total amount of bot makers and look how many people pulled the SDK gits.

Wooted by:

#3 2016-06-02 13:58:32, last edited by Tomahawk (2016-06-02 14:00:17)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

I suppose everyone could post the names of the bot coders they know are currently active, and we'll end up with a list.

For SDKs, what about people who used to use one, or have used them for some bots and not others? Do you include people who've copied code from an SDK, but not referenced the dll? I'm not sure it's a yes/no answer.

@den3107:
The way I see it, anyone who has made/is making a bot is a programmer. Being spoonfed isn't relevant; downloading VS and learning some C# is what counts.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#4 2016-06-03 01:26:53, last edited by hummerz5 (2016-06-03 02:06:35)

hummerz5

I mean, it really isn't too important to get everybody churning on this. I was just curious to know what sort of community we have, if it has been growing... how many "spoonfed" "programmers" as you put it...

edit:
oh now I remember what I wanted to wonder. How many folks do we have that have done the tutorials, or have mooched off of others... so, how many noobs.
actually that's not what I wanted to ask, but I can't remember it again.

oh yeah. And is our way of treating these noobs fitting? Perhaps we needn't ask if it's too great...but as a community, is it sufficient?

#5 2016-06-03 03:55:02

supersmarthead

den3107 wrote:

First off: That list will never be complete as most people aren't active enough as this post will die out by the time they check the forums again (if at all).
What do you call a programmer? Somebody who tries to code, somebody who gets spooned all his code, somebody who actually studies it, somebody who already has a programming-related job?
http://api.ning.com/files/KtF8hZpsH-0Di … orfood.jpg
There have been surveys about what programming language most people like to use, but I don't think this exact question, though you could vaguely guess by estimating the total amount of bot makers and look how many people pulled the SDK gits.

Where did that photo come from

i hope its not serious

#6 2016-06-03 09:14:43

den3107

supersmarthead wrote:

Where did that photo come from

i hope its not serious

Off topic: that picture and pictures that look alike pass by rather often on 9gag. In this context it was meant as a reference: when is somebody considered a program, and not when somebody is fit for meat.

on-topic: The problem with many of those noobs is that they do the tutorials without any knowledge of C#, or even programming in general.
We can't help them if they don't know the basics, unless we'd (as I said) give them their code on a spoon on a choo-choo-train and show them they have to put it in their mouth and not in their ears.
But what I just said has been discussed many times over many topics, so I suggest not to reply on it before it comes out of control again.

#7 2016-06-03 17:29:43

Kaslai
Official Caroler

I'm one of the programming noobs here who needs to use the PlayerIOClient library to get anything done in EE //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

Wooted by: (2)

#8 2016-06-03 18:13:36

den3107

Kaslai wrote:

I'm one of the programming noobs here who needs to use the PlayerIOClient library to get anything done in EE //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

I hate to be the one to join a noob like you :c I even have to use Captain9's dll to get live player positions!

Wooted by:

#9 2016-06-03 23:03:02

hummerz5

Kaslai wrote:

You're right. Though I prefer avoiding those extra pieces of software, I guess that doesn't make someone a noob...

Do we still have people bumbling through the tutorials and giving up? Or has that ebbed?

hummerz51464991382604864

Board footer