Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-21 23:13:26, last edited by Dazz (2016-04-21 23:30:52)

Dazz

About old times and good music

Man... I'm a very, very nostalgic person, sometimes when I think at how fast years are passing, I get depressed, I was just thinking, like, except the cr*** stuff we hear everyday on radio and TV, does anyone here remembers, listens or  likes:

BoneyM
Abba
Kelly Family
Queen
Modern Talking
U2
Guns N' Roses
Prince (not a big fan but since he just died, RIP)
AC/DC
Metallica
Van Hallen
Bob Marely
Depeche Mode
Bon Jovi
Deff Lepard
Pink Floyd
ERA
Enigma
Vangelis
Roxette
Ottawan
CC Catch
Bad Boys Blue
Mike Oldfield

etc etc 80's - 90's anyone here?

Man I could mentions TONS!!!!! more but... these were the times, awesome, awesome music...nothing compared to what we hear today. NOTHING!

Anyone here listening any of these from time to time? anyone here dying to blow the speakers listening anything mentioned here?

Tell me your favorites, speak to me, what makes your soul melt through your ears?

#2 2016-04-21 23:25:33, last edited by Insanity (2016-04-21 23:27:44)

Insanity

Re: About old times and good music

Bryan Adams
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Led Zeppelin
Journey
The Police
Aerosmith
Kenny Loggins
Dire Straits
Rolling Stones
Green Day
Matchbox Twenty
Michael Jackson
Tupac Shakur
Biggie Smalls
Dr. Dre
Snoop Dogg
Eminem

All these artists are amazing

I still listen to a lot of their music today, its fire af

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2016-04-22 00:04:45

Kira

Where's NWA //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

Wooted by:

#4 2016-04-22 00:06:56

Insanity

Kira wrote:

I would have included them in my list if I listened to them when I was younger, but I honestly didn't.

I only heard about them during the release of the movie "Str8 Outta Compton"

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#5 2016-04-22 00:12:24, last edited by Dazz (2016-04-22 00:13:11)

Dazz

Kira wrote:

Because the group was subsequently banned from many mainstream American radio stations. No wonder it didn't had much impact in Europe or elsewhere.

Therfore I can honestly say, they didn't broke our spekers much here in Europe either, at least not from my point of view at that time. Maybe for others interested in this genre of music.

#6 2016-04-22 00:35:31, last edited by Pingohits (2016-04-22 00:37:35)

Pingohits
Banned

Blur
Bonobo
Crystal Stilts
Fleet Foxes
Led Zeppelin
Massive Attack
Moullinex
Nouvelle Vague
Pink Floyd
Pixies
Portishead
Portugal. The Man
STRFKR
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra
Sparklehorse
Swans
Tame Impala
The Doors
The Flaming Lips
The Kooks
The Shins
The Strokes
The White Stripes
Thievery Corporation
Tricky
Velvet Underground

mixture of classic rock, indie rock, some psychedelic stuff, and trip hop

791mAP8.png

#7 2016-04-22 00:59:48

AmdS
Website

That moment when you think you're lost because you don't know anything of this musics these guys are talking about because you're not "old" as they to know those musics //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/sad

#8 2016-04-22 01:45:08

Calicara

I love the Beatles they're great. I also listen to the Eagles with my mom sometimes, they're pretty good. You might know them from their song Hotel California. And don't forget the beach boys //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

Wooted by: (3)

#9 2016-04-22 05:50:48

Null
Website

Bob Dylan
Built to Spill
Dinosaur Jr.
Jesus + Mary Chain
The Fall
Modest Mouse
Pavement
Pixies / Frank Black
Queen
R.E.M.
The Smashing Pumpkins
Sonic Youth
Specials
Velvet Underground

Most of my current interests revolve around the 90's, not as.. classic as other people's lists. Though I don't really search for music to listen to much, since for so long I've been centered around 2 or 3 bands, taking in all their b-sides, rare, live tracks and such.

Like what Nickolai's talking about.. the trend about saying modern music is all bad is not true, annoying for me seeing so many YT comments bringing negativity everywhere. It always revolves around radio music and what 'everyone else' is listening to. But it's nice to just enjoy your own favourite tunes. People can feel elitist if they want, but don't brag or complain.
Lucky for me all my favourite old artists are still making music though! Stephen Malkmus of Pavement, Frank Black did a lot of solo stuff after the Pixies disbanding (and they just started up again, albeit a bit weakly) etc.

[only logs in here when drunk]
EE Pics
______

Wooted by:

#10 2016-04-22 05:51:08, last edited by Dazz (2016-04-22 06:11:00)

Dazz

Nickolai wrote:

You listed a lot of great artists and a lot of my favorites. A big reason I even listen/feel nostalgic to these artists is because my parents listened to them while I was growing up. When I was 2 or 3 years old, my favorite artist was Bob Marley (I don't really remember and I'm going off what my parents told me).

I've never been a big Prince fan (I don't hate him but I just never listened to a lot of his work but I probably will now) but there is a really good rendition of "While my guitar gently weeps" which made me realize how savage he can be on the guitar, which was something I was never aware of.

Guns and Roses "Paradise City" reminds me of camping because my brother made a slide show and used that song.

I will say you should give new music/artists a chance. There are incredibly talented people out there as well as the incredibly untalented, just like back then. A lot of people tend to believe that every older artist was a legend (like the ones you listed) but fail to realize there were also terrible artists back then. We don't hear about them because they were terrible! But of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Another reason to listen to new artists is so you can feel nostalgic about them in the future. There are a lot of alt-rock artists I associate my high school days with because that's who I was listening too. I lot of great car rides and great memories with my friends and music.

Anyways I will get on with a few more favorites.

Queen - Almost any live performance. Freddie Mercury was an incredible performer with so much passion and energy. I would have loved to been there live.
ABBA - I really like "Take a chance on me" because my dad would sing the "chance chance take a chance" part when we would play monopoly when I was younger. (He would only sing it when someone pulled a "chance" card. I never knew why he would sing it but later realized it was a real song)
Bon Jovi - My dad trying to hit all the notes on "Livin on a prayer" always cracks me up
Pink Floyd - Driving through a desert at night after doing some illicit activities and listening to the album Dark side of the moon. Creepy but was a fun night

Some other artists not listed that I really enjoy
Beatles - This was an early favorite of mine. They get a lot of flak for being overrated but I still enjoy them
The Clash
Joy Division
Daft Punk
The Smiths
The Doors
LCD Soundsystem - Gave a great performance at Coachella this year and an awesome tribute to Bowie EDIT: Forgot to include an impressive fact. Most of the instrumentals on their (his?) records are all done by one guy. He brings in people to perform live though
The Strokes/Julian Casablancas solo work or with The Voidz

Ofc new music/artists get a chance, in fact I think thanks to technology today especially the internet they have more chances than anyone anytime ever.  All I have to say is, I'm a open person, I like to listen anything, if it sounds interesting to me it's enough, I don't care about the lyrics, so you can come up with a head banging hit and I will appreciate it but I can say this: with FEW exceptions, sadly in the last ten or so years, even more, I almost can't remember anyone to be able to come with an entire album of music to be as likable as the legends mentioned above, I mean,,, sure they make some great hits and all, ofc after a week or a month they are goners from the charts and replaced by new artists. Nothing they created made me listen their entire albums  or more from them than their hits or singles. I could listen anything from Queen instead or whatever, heck, Kate Bush if you want, undoubtedly they are LEGENDS and their music after decades and decades, somehow they still sound like the greatest hit ever, no matter how many years have passed. Idk...the thing is that their music was appreciated then and it can still be much appreciated today, I wouldn't brake my leg dancing nor waste much of my time for many songs I've heard a year ago or anything yesterday at the radio.

Wooted by:

#11 2016-04-22 06:21:20, last edited by Abelysk (2016-04-22 06:24:54)

Abelysk

Yeah. Mainstream music nowadays is trash.
There a few gems out there that have excellent voices in the present.

London Grammar
Björk
Santigold
MGMT
Foster The People

etc...

#12 2016-04-22 06:43:58

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Dazz wrote:

I was just thinking, like, except the cr*** stuff we hear everyday on radio and TV, does anyone here remembers, listens or  likes

Dazz wrote:

more but... these were the times, awesome, awesome music...nothing compared to what we hear today. NOTHING!

you're not better for liking ~le old music~

Dazz wrote:

80's - 90's

judging by your previous posts, i'd say you're at the very max 25, but closer to 18ish. are you really going to try to tell me that the 80s-90s is ~your~ generation of music when you were born in the late 90s and most likely remember nothing from it?

dae le wrong generation xD xD??????

whatever my "old" music tastes is like...

led zep, queen, bon jovi
idk
(my mom's a huge deff lepard fan tho)

bit later stuff

system of a down
marilyn manson
elliot smith

um and my more "recent tastes" are
voltaire
creature feature
panic! at the disco
fall out boy
my chemical romance
marina and the diamonds
and amanda palmer/the dresden dolls/evelyn evelyn
[a lot of which are admittedly trash but fite me]

if u check out any of the things i listed, which i doubt you will because ~le wrong generation~ and ~all new music is crap~ and w/e, i suggest amanda palmer
so gud

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by: (3)

#13 2016-04-22 14:01:10, last edited by Dazz (2016-04-22 23:29:45)

Dazz

Zoey2070 wrote:
Dazz wrote:

I was just thinking, like, except the cr*** stuff we hear everyday on radio and TV, does anyone here remembers, listens or  likes

Dazz wrote:

more but... these were the times, awesome, awesome music...nothing compared to what we hear today. NOTHING!

you're not better for liking ~le old music~

Dazz wrote:

80's - 90's

judging by your previous posts, i'd say you're at the very max 25, but closer to 18ish. are you really going to try to tell me that the 80s-90s is ~your~ generation of music when you were born in the late 90s and most likely remember nothing from it?

dae le wrong generation xD xD??????

whatever my "old" music tastes is like...

led zep, queen, bon jovi
idk
(my mom's a huge deff lepard fan tho)

bit later stuff

system of a down
marilyn manson
elliot smith

um and my more "recent tastes" are
voltaire
creature feature
panic! at the disco
fall out boy
my chemical romance
marina and the diamonds
and amanda palmer/the dresden dolls/evelyn evelyn
[a lot of which are admittedly trash but fite me]

if u check out any of the things i listed, which i doubt you will because ~le wrong generation~ and ~all new music is crap~ and w/e, i suggest amanda palmer
so gud

Yes Zoey you're close add few more and yes, I do remember music since I was little,  my father used to work as a dj when he was young, therfore he had a great collection of music of famous artists, I grew up listening all his records and few houndreds of reels with music from the 70's 80's and tapes with 90's later CDs, etc. After I grew older I started to collect music too and got hooked in this, not as far as working as a dj unfortunately.

The thing is you don't even have to remember or try hard to keep up since most of the 80's and 90's is still on TV and radio even today! probably more than 00's music.

Anyway, nothing here about ''le wrong generation''. Just nostalgia guilty pleasure and a matter of taste. I'm quite open actually, except I'm not easily impressed, even if I am, it's for a short period of time.  I will check everyone's post because I'm interested.

#14 2016-04-22 18:49:34, last edited by Anak (2016-04-22 18:50:39)

Anak

I'm definitely not old enough to have experienced the older generations of music, but that doesn't mean I haven't delved into them. I'm more of a 90s electronic scene guy myself, in that sense. I think I should be listening to more people though, like Kate Bush, or The Black Dog, or Boards Of Canada. A lot of today's music imo is very innovative and unheard of, and unfortunately that kind of music is always the lesser known music. That being said, I do enjoy a lot of mainstream stuff, it's just that obscurer music is stuff that resonates more with me.
The list below is quite long, but I think any musician down there you should pick up and start listening to. There's quite a variety in there, so some of it may not be your cup of tea, but I do think it's interesting to see how different genres and subgenres have further divided themselves into new branches of music. Doesn't hurt to take a spin.

Worthy mentions from then and now

#15 2016-04-22 19:01:34

Abelysk

Anak wrote:

Nicki Minaj

????

#16 2016-04-22 19:06:51

Anak

Kefka wrote:
Anak wrote:

Nicki Minaj

????

Yes?

#17 2016-04-22 19:24:00, last edited by gkaby (2016-04-22 19:26:10)

gkaby
Website

my parents always played soundtracks and a few other albums that had old music in the car when i was growing up, so i heard a lot of music by a wide range of ppl, though not a lot by any specific person, and they almost never listened to any new music so i never really heard any of that

until like a few years ago the only band i knew/listened to practically was queen

and then i started finding new music i liked thru things like youtube, pandoa, and ppl on ee like kingotheozone who showed me a lot of music, and more recently reddit

idk i wanted to say @ amds to add to it that even if you never practically listen to older music for your entire life you could very quickly start getting into it and listening to a lot
though maybe its diff for me because id frequently heard older music for much of my life idk

i have recently started listening to more modern music that i previously didnt like so i think rather than new music being bad it might just be a lack of familiarity with i or something idk?

some more recentish bands/ppl ive been listening to are radiohead, kanye west, tim minchin. there are a bunch of other individual songs that are new that i like, whereas like a year ago i didnt actively listen to any old music

i think my favorite old bands are

Hidden text

edit thers a thing i believe in where i think if even if u dont like a song or genre or persons music at all the first time u hear it, u should keep an open mind or whatever to liking it and come back to it in a week or month or so and eventually u might start liking it a lot

almost all the music i liked i disliked or thought was boring or something the first time i heard it, and i eventually ended up loving it so i recommend that technique

idk

Wooted by:

#18 2016-04-22 20:42:51, last edited by 0176 (2016-04-22 20:44:15)

I wonder what styles and generations of music will people in around 30-50 years like. The music in this thread would be in the 60-90 years old range by then, that sounds weird in my head

#19 2016-04-22 21:03:44

Pingohits
Banned

0176 wrote:

I wonder what styles and generations of music will people in around 30-50 years like

considering the rise of strophic form, probably a mixture of electronic tones set to repeat for 4 minutes while a heavily sync'd singer murmurs lyrical gibberish

791mAP8.png

Pingohits1461355424597742

Board footer