Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Re: Introducing: The Random Machine

Yeah, like I've said, maybe 3 times already, it isn't a RANDOM machine. It's an EXTREMELY-COMPLEX-PATTERN machine.

You guys are taking the fun out of it D:

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#27 Before February 2015

h0pe

you could put a few more keys in the random spots, but as far as I'm concerned, the probability of the key depends on placement, could be closer to the inside is a greater chance, or closer to the corners is a greater chance, but I'm too lazy to actually do the math XD

EDIT: I spent a few more minutes looking at it, and the green(closer to the middle) has a greater percentage that either red or blue...

Last edited by h0pe (Jun 8 2011 4:59:18 pm)

#28 Before February 2015

Lopoi2

mustang wrote:

^ Computers and calculators cannot create random numbers. You're confusing pseudorandom for truly random, for pseudorandom numbers can be generated by a function whereas purely random numbers cannot.

Thus, this "random" machine is not truly random and would repeat after a set amount of time if anyone cares to test it.

Nope.

I have one calculator that generates one random number (and it doesn't repeat). And there are many sites like random.org that create random numbers. So computers can do it too.

It is a truly random.

#29 Before February 2015

Wocco

Recreated it on a small world, heres the links:

beta
non-beta

code is "RANDOM" feel free to edit to see if it has any effect after changes.

+rep if this was helpful //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#30 Before February 2015

mustang

Lopoi2 wrote:
mustang wrote:

^ Computers and calculators cannot create random numbers. You're confusing pseudorandom for truly random, for pseudorandom numbers can be generated by a function whereas purely random numbers cannot.

Thus, this "random" machine is not truly random and would repeat after a set amount of time if anyone cares to test it.

Nope.

I have one calculator that generates one random number (and it doesn't repeat). And there are many sites like random.org that create random numbers. So computers can do it too.

It is a truly random.

Sigh. Clearly you didn't even read random.org, or you would have noticed this quote:

www.random.org wrote:

Perhaps you have wondered how predictable machines like computers can generate randomness. In reality, most random numbers used in computer programs are pseudo-random, which means they are a generated in a predictable fashion using a mathematical formula. This is fine for many purposes, but it may not be random in the way you expect if you're used to dice rolls and lottery drawings.

RANDOM.ORG offers true random numbers to anyone on the Internet. The randomness comes from atmospheric noise, which for many purposes is better than the pseudo-random number algorithms typically used in computer programs.

The numbers from random.org are NOT coming from a function calculated in a computer; they're coming from data measurements of an external source (the atmosphere in this case), hence they can be considered truly random.

As for your calculator, it is using a pseudo-random number generator that appears random, hence why it seems to always output a "random" number when you use it. This quote from Wikipedia will explain:

Wikipedia wrote:

A "random number generator" based solely on deterministic computation cannot be regarded as a "true" random number generator, since its output is inherently predictable. How to distinguish a "true" random number from the output of a pseudo-random number generator is a very difficult problem. However, carefully chosen pseudo-random number generators can be used instead of true random numbers in many applications. Rigorous statistical analysis of the output is often needed to have confidence in the algorithm.

Please don't make bold claims without doing some research.

#31 Before February 2015

Chimi

*looks up from behind stacks of physics books*

Damnit, you beat me.

Last edited by Chimi (Jun 9 2011 4:35:50 am)

#32 Before February 2015

Lopoi2

Now I know how to make the really random machine.

Wait and you will see and say: "Wow, that's really random"

#33 Before February 2015

Zalgryth

I've had class discussions about the differences between pseudo-randomization and randomization in regards to cryptography.

I'm sure everyone knows by now, as mustang has pointed out, this isn't a random machine. However, it can be regarded as a simple pseudo-random key presser based on a few factors:
1. Starting position
2. Time elapsed.

I'd say this should be sufficient to act as a pseudo-random key generator, especially since it's not too large. Everybody Edits is severely restricted when it comes to machines because of the size of the worlds. I'd say this is a very good start to pseudo-randomization in-game.

EDIT:
It would also take a considerable amount of time to memorize the key press patterns. If anyone were to figure it out, I'd say it's really easy to switch the location of the keys around, and maybe a few arrows, to completely throw off previous estimations.

Last edited by Zalgryth (Jun 9 2011 4:59:11 pm)

#34 Before February 2015

Lopoi2

Here it is:
http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWBz-q8bZVa0I

Well, It's not random for keys (because I use them on my decive) but it's random exits.

Basically is my Demux machine, but with a automatizated activator. Go there while I'm in, because I need to be there for it works.

Explain:

I'm in a rolercoaster with all the combinations of keys. When I press some they choose some way, total: 8 ways. Then you get the coins (or the crown).

It's random because you can't choose the time to enter, but it would work better when I have portals, and chris make the button door, then it will be tottaly random, now is just a slow random.

Try it. ^^

#35 Before February 2015

Zalgryth

Lopoi2 wrote:

Try it. ^^

It needs some major improvements. I don't see how it works but I can tell you out of 4 times I went in, the first three times I fell down the same hole.

#36 Before February 2015

Lopoi2

Zalgryth wrote:
Lopoi2 wrote:

Try it. ^^

It needs some major improvements. I don't see how it works but I can tell you out of 4 times I went in, the first three times I fell down the same hole.

yeah, that happens because I didn't made the times equal.... But I tried and I take 5 coins.

And it happens to you because the time for you get up is the same time I get at the same place you got. But I will resolve it putting some minigames after the exits. For this I need the portals.
Other ways to improve it:

-Button Door: It would be faster, so I don't have time to stop.

-Ghost Mode: You can't see me, so it's unpredictable.

#37 Before February 2015

Dabes

I made one. Did not see any continuous pattern in my 20 minutes of watching. But who knows
http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWYONTfw_Ba0I

#38 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Very nice, dabes.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#39 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Well as long as everything's equal and follows a pattern it'll be random
And I got stuck in the corner in a matter of seconds.

#40 Before February 2015

The Red Troll

i got in it... then getting out... but i thought the evil death machine and escaped, but escaping isnt all it seems

#41 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

On his random machine I kept goin and goin and goin in no obvious pattern.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#42 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Then I suggest he only uses 1 spawn point, because the one furthest to the left creates a path that isn't random.

#43 Before February 2015

Dabes

Second Try.
http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWYONTfw_Ba0I
Again not sure becuz i dont want to wait that long to find a continuous pattern. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Tako142386991191521

Board footer