Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-10 03:09:02, last edited by John (2016-02-13 01:12:18)

John

IP Hash - Check out alts!

Hello EE Forumers!
I have an idea to tell users apart.

Earlier today (2/9/2016) there was a user hacking, and when they got kicked they used a guest to join. To prevent the owner having to sit there and make sure people are not hacking, what if you could have a IP hash.

An IP hash is a hash of a user's IP address. For example, if my external IP is 0.0.0.0, if I were to do /iphash EMALTON it would return a random series of characters that came from that hash. IE 324XJ5. If my brother joined, and if someone did /iphash <Bro's Username> they'd get the exact same value as mine because we share the same IP: 324XJ5.

This gives the user their piece of mind, knowing they won't have to sit there and watch their levels all the time. There is no negatives because nobody has your actual IP address, so you can ban them. (Unless you're the hacker.)

Even the almighty Master1 likes this idea.

Hidden text

--

Even better idea:
Have the IP hash send under the add message type, so bots can check to see if that hash is banned.

Any suggestions / criticism is accepted, just be constructive and don't repeat!
If you think this is a great idea, then woot it!

PW?scale=2

#2 2016-02-10 03:58:21

hummerz5

Re: IP Hash - Check out alts!

ok, nerds of EE:

my problem with this is: how can the hash return the same value? is that because there's the same salt? seems like there's something missing

#3 2016-02-10 04:13:06, last edited by Xfrogman43 (2016-02-10 04:13:30)

Xfrogman43

hummerz5 wrote:

ok, nerds of EE:

my problem with this is: how can the hash return the same value? is that because there's the same salt? seems like there's something missing

Cause he would be on same IP... duh

What if they change IP's?

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Wooted by:

#4 2016-02-10 04:39:29, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2016-02-10 04:40:29)

XxAtillaxX

This could just easily be done by having the server check the IP address of two users.
No need to get fancy with hashes.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#5 2016-02-10 04:47:45

John

XxAtillaxX wrote:

This could just easily be done by having the server check the IP address of two users.

Xfrogman43 wrote:
hummerz5 wrote:

ok, nerds of EE:

Cause he would be on same IP... duh

What if they change IP's?

Froggie: Then it would update.

'tilla: Then I'd have to check every user on my banlist and compare it. No so efficient.

PW?scale=2

#6 2016-02-10 05:11:18

Xfrogman43

Emalton wrote:

Froggie: Then it would update.

Well obviously, but after you kick them or whatever again... Or will it automatically know which IP is what person even if they would change??

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#7 2016-02-10 05:18:21

XxAtillaxX

Emalton wrote:

'tilla: Then I'd have to check every user on my banlist and compare it. No so efficient.

What do you mean not so efficient? It's up to you to manage the banlist - which you'd be doing anyway if you were to store hashes.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#8 2016-02-10 08:01:17

Processor

No, no tracking. We respect the privacy of our users. Report a user and rely on us to ban them.

We currently don't support IP based kickbans but we can make /kick also ipban you. (For 5 minutes)

Thoughts?

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

Wooted by: (3)

#9 2016-02-10 08:15:53

Kaslai
Official Caroler

Considering the bans only last for five minutes, there really isn't that much point to do an IP ban. The amount of time and effort it takes to hop accounts is pretty great; it's probably around one minute of time and effort to do so. Sure, one minute is less than five, however you can just go browse reddit for those five minutes and when the five minutes have elapsed, just tab back in and click.

If the antagonist is dedicated enough to hop accounts after every kick, the owner will also be on relatively high alert. If there's five minutes in between joins, that's long enough to forget about the issue and they might not be paying attention the second time around. One minute intervals are fast enough to keep the owner relatively aware, though.

In all, I don't think IP bans would be a cause of harm, however I don't think they would help at all, either.

hummerz5 wrote:

ok, nerds of EE:

A hash function is, by definition, a function which always generates the same output every time for a given input. So, given the same IP, the same hash will be generated.

Wooted by:

#10 2016-02-10 08:40:32, last edited by Anatoly (2016-02-10 08:40:44)

Anatoly

Last edited by Zoey2070 (Today 06:30:44)

Zoey2070, what dont you like on the post above?

#11 2016-02-10 09:01:45

Gosha

AnatolyEE wrote:

Last edited by Zoey2070 (Today 06:30:44)

Zoey2070, what dont you like on the post above?

why you always care? If zoey edit something , there was a reason. Stop off-topic

#12 2016-02-10 14:17:44

John

Processor wrote:

No, no tracking. We respect the privacy of our users. Report a user and rely on us to ban them.

We currently don't support IP based kickbans but we can make /kick also ipban you. (For 5 minutes)

Thoughts?

That's the purpose of hahes, to protect privacy. I thought you can't report users for hacking because there is no proof.

XxAtillaxX wrote:
Emalton wrote:

What do you mean not so efficient? It's up to you to manage the banlist - which you'd be doing anyway if you were to store hashes.

Then I'd have to do /check user1 user1 for each person on banist, per player. Hashes would be much nicer and more efficient.

PW?scale=2

#13 2016-02-10 18:41:56

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Or, there could be a simpler /ipban that kicks the user's IP address as long as the level is open in the lobby.

Wooted by: (4)

#14 2016-02-10 19:20:06

XxAtillaxX

Emalton wrote:
Processor wrote:

Thoughts?

That's the purpose of hahes, to protect privacy. I thought you can't report users for hacking because there is no proof.

XxAtillaxX wrote:
Emalton wrote:

Then I'd have to do /check user1 user1 for each person on banist, per player. Hashes would be much nicer and more efficient.

I think you just don't want to accept that this idea is stupid and that there's an easier approach.
Hashes aren't necessary, you can simply have an ipban command.

You don't need to /check anything, let the server check and kick them if their IP address matches someone who is banned.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#15 2016-02-10 19:30:29

Hexagon

If you /ipban <username> it would just IP ban their user and so hashing it isn't going to add anything, as you don't need to know the IP address to ban it--EE does.

#16 2016-02-10 19:35:30

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Wow two people basically just suggested the same thing I did.

#17 2016-02-10 22:40:08

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Processor wrote:

Report a user and rely on us to ban them.

mfw on the blog there was post about reporting and it told us not to report hackers
mfw 5 minutes ban is useless anyway
please extend the ban to 1 hour (and dont let owners ban themselves so they dont mess up) or make /kick and /ban separate commands with kicking just forcing player to leave world
and add ip-banning to that

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#18 2016-02-12 17:25:41

Michele
Formerly AntonioS300

Processor wrote:

Thoughts?

That's not good, but we want a bot or a system to check users IP instead.

Idler.jpg
XOsS4ha.gif

#19 2016-02-12 19:46:44

Abelysk

Processor wrote:

Thoughts?

YES

#20 2016-02-12 19:48:57, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2016-02-12 19:49:39)

XxAtillaxX

N1KF wrote:

Wow two people basically just suggested the same thing I did.

I said it first.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

IP-based kick/banning might be useful though.
Though maybe it'd be OP if someone wanted to be anonymous on an alt.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#21 2016-02-12 19:51:44

Hexagon

I'm not a big fan of IP banning someone unless they're hacking the game in some way. Giving the world owners the ability to mute people or deny them certain locations to the map would be more effective.

#22 2016-02-13 01:09:53, last edited by John (2016-02-13 01:35:25)

John

XxAtillaxX wrote:

<le snip>
I think you just don't want to accept that this idea is stupid and that there's an easier approach.

You don't need to /check anything, let the server check and kick them if their IP address matches someone who is banned.

You don't understand. I'm trying to prevent loads of commands here.
If I have 3 people on my banlist: drmario, mrfacebook, and mrsfall. Whenever someone joins the room, your method states that I would have to do
/check "person who joined the room" drmario
/check "person who joined the room" mrfacebook
/check "person who joined the room" mrsfall

That's how you worded it anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
--
EDIT:
Have the IP hash be under the add message type.
and bots can check if the hash is banned, then kick the player.

PW?scale=2

#23 2016-02-13 01:37:02, last edited by XxAtillaxX (2016-02-13 01:37:37)

XxAtillaxX

Emalton wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

<le snip>

You don't understand. I'm trying to prevent loads of commands here.
If I have 3 people on my banlist: drmario, mrfacebook, and mrsfall. Whenever someone joins the room, your method states that I would have to do
/check "person who joined the room" drmario
/check "person who joined the room" mrfacebook
/check "person who joined the room" mrsfall

That's how you worded it anyway. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but just don't be rude.
--
Addon:
Have the IP hash be under the add message type.
and bots can check if the hash is banned, then kick the player.

You incorrectly inferred that there'd be a /check command, which invalidates the rest of the first portion of the reply.
Letting the server handle the bans is less convoluted than sending hash check packets.
Not only does this ensue potential risks if it's not salted enough, and isn't long enough to avoid collisions, but it's also more expensive in bandwidth for commands and add packets.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#24 2016-02-13 03:55:42

hummerz5

I guess I didn't word my question right
^20 posts later, my "salt" issue I so eloquently did not mention is mentioned.

oh well.

Is there a required function that necessitates having the hash list on client side?
otherwise I'd leave it at server... but where it is apparently means nothing because the issue still stands: proc don't want no ip ban.

hummerz51455332142582608

Board footer