Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-06 06:01:13, last edited by Tako (2016-02-06 06:03:45)

Tako
Website

Revenant (Movie Spoilers)

Ok so let's talk about this movie because it's amazing. I know some of y'all have seen it so don't be shy. Give me your interpretation.

First, the cinematography and score are simply breathtaking. Everywhere you look the content is horrible (not in terms of quality but in terms of Glass' fortune) but the environment is beautiful. You know how it feels to be minutia when you watch this movie. How insignificant you are.

(Aside: did you know the film was only shot using natural light? Not a single lightbulb was used in the production of this film.)

I think it's very raw. Not only are you completely detached from modern society, but for a majority of the film, also western life and values. This strange setting really highlighted the philosophical themes at play. The problem with modern settings is that you want to make connections to the things you know a lot about. You can't really do that (unless you're a historian) with Revenant. It's like taking a theme and putting it on a mostly-blank canvas free of distractions.

But now here's what interesting. What is the theme?

Of course, there is passion and how it causes strength. But there is also a spiritual, unintuitive twist to it: love is innate to all creatures (the bear, the natives, not the westerners? inb4 political ideologies), but revenge is a human invention which is never executed properly. Strength is not achieving your revenge but giving it up.

But then they toss greed in there, so we have to back up. Strength is not only resistance to unbridled emotion, but also hedonistic desires.

Ok so now here comes the political ideologies.

I think we can agree that the fur trappers represent capitalism. This is a common belief among historians, especially considering how much it contrasts the Natives. The Natives respect the earth while we make a profit off it. Fitzgerald epitomizes capitalism. Capitalism in this context means sacrificing good will for personal gain. (In other contexts, capitalism is economically wise, but that's a different conversation entirely. Wolf On Wall Street, anyone?)

There are many Fitzgeralds in our society, but they're not quite as obviously evil. Empathy is what makes the world a better place.

Powerful stuff, man.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2016-02-06 06:07:15

Onjit
Website

Re: Revenant (Movie Spoilers)

Impressive film, the cinematography alone is brilliant.

Of course, Leo won't win an Oscar for is because he's just a really terrible actor (sarcasm in case it isn't obvious)

If there was one criticism I have for the film, I'd say that the dream sequences seemed... off. Like they didn't feel like they fit in the film as well as they could have IMO

Solid 9/10 I'd say.

:.|:;

#3 2016-02-06 06:30:48

JadElClemens

I saw the movie. I'm not a big movie snob, nor am I personally a fan of, like, thematic analysis or whatever. It was good, though. Boring at times, but for the most part I enjoyed it.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#4 2016-02-06 15:16:23

Pingohits
Banned

i want to watch the movie because the director Alejandro González Iñárritu directed Birdman, and i really liked that one

791mAP8.png

#5 2016-02-06 16:01:52

Onjit
Website

I forgot to mention, but I started reading the novel yesterday. I'll tell you how it turns out in a week or so.

#6 2016-02-06 16:23:35

Insanity

Saw this the week that it came out.

Saying that it was phenomenal is an understatement.

The lighting effects, camera movement and photography in combination of Leo's stellar acting is what in my opinion made this movie such a masterpiece.

And besides that, turning a simple story into something far more meaningful.

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#7 2016-02-06 19:32:37

Pingohits
Banned

also no one is talking about The Hateful Eight

has tarantino lost his touch or something?

791mAP8.png

#8 2016-02-06 19:48:55

iPwner
Website

My opinion:
Meaningful? lolThat

Amazing cinematography and filming? yes!!

Plot is slightly less generic than your standard woodholly film, but I've already seen the "he killed someone i love... REVENGE!!" plotline literally thousands/millions of times.

ssAARASAAAAAAAAA  iAAAAAAAAAAAAA OU yaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YAAAaa YAAaah; yaayaayaa, yayayaya-ya-ya YAAA YAAAYA; YAYAYA YAAHAYAhAAAAAAAAAA 

EPIOOOOOUUUUUUuuuuuu   IUO0O0oooooooooooppi

;3 0>o ~X_x~ <~(^V^)~> (); ;B ;~; *~<:',',',',',{ Q=(*@`)Q

Im A ®a®ity ®

Wooted by: (2)

#9 2016-02-07 01:40:32

Onjit
Website

Pingohits wrote:

also no one is talking about The Hateful Eight

has tarantino lost his touch or something?

well this is the topic for the revenant.

real talk tho the hateful eight was brilliant

#10 2016-02-07 04:50:24, last edited by Tako (2016-02-07 04:51:49)

Tako
Website

iPwner wrote:

My opinion:
Meaningful? lolThat

Amazing cinematography and filming? yes!!

Plot is slightly less generic than your standard woodholly film, but I've already seen the "he killed someone i love... REVENGE!!" plotline literally thousands/millions of times.

I think what makes it so good is the fact that it is such a common plotline but taken to a new degree and given new life by saying revenge is the true evil. It's such a basic concept that I think most of us can logically agree to, yet it pervades us because the irrational part of human nature says "Revenge is more satisfying".

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#11 2016-07-25 04:36:38

Onjit
Website

realtalk tho

the book is better

#12 2016-07-25 15:44:33

Breadfinn

leonardo dicaprio //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
good actor one of my favorite //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile haha

5671.jpg

#13 2016-07-25 18:01:31

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

Room was better and Tremblay deserved the nomination and Oscar #outactedDicapriobyamile
At least Brie Larson beat Jennifer Lawrence lol

Pyromaniac1469466091614265

Board footer