Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-02 08:35:34

Jabatheblob1

Highest Level Of Math

So i am in my Senior level of High School and I am taking a Calculus class. I am really enjoying the class and doing really well in it as well. I am curious about other branches of math and branches of math the ee community has taken and which ones interested them most!

If you would like me to make a bot for you, go here.

#2 2016-02-02 08:38:26

Kaslai
Official Caroler

Re: Highest Level Of Math

Linear algebra has been pretty useful for me considering I use it very frequently at work. Calculus is also good for optimizing algorithms at times. Knowing how to take the integral of complex functions is a very useful skill to have.

#3 2016-02-02 14:55:23, last edited by Insanity (2016-02-02 14:55:44)

Insanity

There is Calculus 1 all the way to Calculus 5. Unless you're going to be a Math, Chemical Engineering major, or a Mechanical Engineering major, you definitely do not have to worry about Calculus 5

Calc 2 has volumes of revolution (finding the volumes of objects using integration), how to integrate any indefinite integral with a variety of techniques, and has to do with sequences and series. This, in my opinion, is the most annoying Calc to learn

Calc 3 is multivariable calculus. It shows you how to do things such as double integrals and integrate with more than one variable. It's the actual continuation of Calculus 1, and it's not bad

Calc 4 is Differential equations, I only know diff eqs in a basic way because I've never taken this class before, but people say it's not too bad

Calc 5 is probably like that secret hidden level at the end of those glitchy 3D platformers I used to play where only the proest people can actually get to or find, I have no idea what the hell this course is about

I don't really find actual interest in calculus, I take it because I have to take it to fulfill my major requirements, but it's pretty baller in that the only things you really need to know are the concepts, and you can more or less ace the tests, there is no absurd memorization like a lot of other courses

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2016-02-02 21:47:38, last edited by JadElClemens (2016-02-02 21:50:11)

JadElClemens

I've taken Calc up to Calc III and (Ordinary) DiffEq so far. I would never have referred to DiffEq as Calc IV before this (although the above post seems like a half-joke anyways), but the name fits, honestly.

I'm fairly sure I'll have to take Linear Algebra before I graduate, but that's the last pure math course I have to take.

DiffEq was probably my favorite course so far, mainly once we got into Laplace transforms. The method for solving them was the kind of grind-y math work that I enjoy.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#5 2016-02-03 22:16:24

Tako
Website

I would recommend looking at colleges' course catalogs. You've probably already submitted your apps so check those first.

Here is mine (Rhodes College, a small liberal arts college in Memphis, Tennessee)
Here is MIT's (Some pages, such as Intro to Topology, contain lecture notes too. Good introduction.)
etc.

These sites (and every college should have one) are a good "intro to the intro" so-to-speak. I recommend this over convoluted and error-prone Wikipedia articles any day.

As for the experience, that varies greatly depending on your professors. I believe that difficulty is a factor that educators can control, not only through assignments but also through the delivery of information. So is interest. And these two things are what make or break a class.

Something I've learned this semester is that the most prestigious colleges don't really care about the quality of their teachers. In fact, I would go as far as to say they don't even hire teachers. They hire researchers. Then, they ask the researchers to teach the young plebeians who happen to be down the hall MFW at 9 AM, and occasionally let them enter their office at least once a week if their hopelessly small minds can't grasp the material.

Of course, not all prestigious colleges are like this. Some factor in teaching ability in the hiring process.

And, likewise, not all researchers abandon their oratory skills to make more room for their research. Some care about students as much as they do their research. But if you put yourself in their shoes, it's easy to see how teaching quality can be forgotten. Here they are, dealing with the very top of their subject, immersed in complex theories and formulae, and then they have to descend all the way down to the bottom just to teach students who don't even want to be there.

But be warned.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Wooted by: (2)

#6 2016-02-04 01:43:45

sthegreat

I'm taking Math III. I'm in 8th grade.

Sigh.

user.php?id=sthegreat

#7 2016-02-04 01:48:34

Pingohits
Banned

sthegreat wrote:

Sigh.

you must be supersmart and superspecial

want a sticker, superstar?

791mAP8.png

#8 2016-02-04 02:06:50

hummerz5

Pingohits wrote:
sthegreat wrote:

Sigh.

I'm taking math VIII. I'm in third grade.

oh you what no

#9 2016-02-05 00:41:26

sthegreat

Pingohits wrote:
sthegreat wrote:

Sigh.

dude pls
i was not even trying to brag