Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-25 10:18:29

Onjit
Website

Does religion still serve a purpose in our modern world?

In ancient times, gods were used as an explanation of the world's mysteries. Now that we now know why many of the things that happen in the world, with science, is religion still useful?

Do fables taken as truth provide a valuable moral and spiritual position, or is it more important to be realistic?

:.|:;

#2 2015-12-25 12:11:48, last edited by Tako (2015-12-25 12:12:37)

Tako
Website

Re: Does religion still serve a purpose in our modern world?

I kind of talked about this in the "Does god exist?" topic, and after much jibberish I ended up saying we will never have a complete understanding of the universe, so the need for a god will always exist. "God" in this sense isn't really an explanation, but a symbol for everything we don't know.

Realism dashes hope and accelerates our probable doom. We all need a little mystery in our lives.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Wooted by: (4)

#3 2015-12-25 12:38:05

Zumza

Yeah... To rise conflicts of course. You don't watch news?

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#4 2015-12-25 13:56:49, last edited by Creature (2015-12-25 13:57:09)

Creature

Only to give fake hopes to people's heads.

This is a false statement.

#5 2015-12-25 15:33:30

Slushie

It doesn't really have a purpose, but it's here to stay for a while longer. Eventually we will reach a point where the vast majority of the population doesn't believe in a god. Even now, at least where I live, the majority of people either aren't religious or their faith is weak.

Most religious people I meet are only religious because they don't want to accept that life doesn't have a purpose, or that there's no god waiting for them at the end of the tunnel to reward them for their efforts and punish those who did them wrong. The justification is rarely "I believe in God because I don't understand the world".

ok

Wooted by:

#6 2015-12-25 17:54:39

Schlog

it's around to be annoying in my opinion

Wooted by:

#7 2015-12-25 18:07:07, last edited by shadowda (2015-12-29 19:07:30)

shadowda

i'm honestly surprised people still believe in that stuff. i thought we were smarter that that. 

its about fear. the fear of death and the unknown. the only* reason people still believe in, lets say Christianity, is so that they feel ok about death and so they have justification to do bad things. "as long as i believe in Jesus, i can do what ever i want."

* yea... its not the ONLY reason. that was hyperbole, exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally. there are plenty of good people who believe in Christianity who don't go to far.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#8 2015-12-25 18:14:04

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Weak people needs something to tell them what to do.

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by: (2)

#9 2015-12-25 18:20:38

Processor

I see it is part of the culture, but it is taken way more seriously than it should be.
I personally don't need to have all my questions answered in order to live.

I have never thought of programming for reputation and honor. What I have in my heart must come out. That is the reason why I code.

Wooted by:

#10 2015-12-25 18:26:17

Hostage
Banned
Website

ZeldaXD wrote:

need*
grammar nazi
on a related note,
i agree.

now for my opinion:
Jesus.
I don't think he was religion-y at all.
He was sick of all those gods,and crap.
He knew he couldn't stop people from believing,so he made up one god,and sacrificed himself to get rid of paganism.

35fa6ee9efa7e42687d426ffeba72dbdb9a95cbfb7d221d698ca2146feebab7c.jpg

#11 2015-12-25 18:52:35

Yandax

Yes, because science can't explain everything. And if they can, sometimes they don't explain it right.

Pretend I didn't exist until now

All hail me, the king of insensitive jerks

Woot if you hate me

#12 2015-12-25 18:54:04

Abelysk

Religion stays as long as Christmas stays. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#13 2015-12-25 19:35:49

AmdS
Website

Creature wrote:

Only to give fake hopes to people's heads.

Why would someone do that?

That's completely pointless. You will get nothing doing it. This isn't fun

#14 2015-12-26 02:02:03, last edited by Calicara (2015-12-26 02:02:59)

Calicara

So many skeptics...

Well I am not overly religious myself, but I will say this. I don't believe choosing to participate in a religion makes anyone superior/inferior to anyone else. It's only natural to want to provide an explanation for the universe, and our purpose in life. Religion can help provide answers and life advice (regardless of whether we believe it's true), and for the most part can work to harbor communities of peace.

I am not denying that religion can also lead to violence, but so too can scientific advancements (guns/the atomic bomb/the internet etc....) It's not whether you participate in the things that matter, it's how you do it. I have some Christian/Catholic friends who are upstanding people. Their church works to provide a safe community for them, and they work toward doing community service for their communities. I don't think it's the religion that's inherently bad, it's how people celebrate it.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

Wooted by: (3)

#15 2015-12-26 02:09:20

hummerz5

^superior/inferior is bad. Probably leads to wars in itself. I agree: religion supplies to some people morals that they might not have found otherwise.

Indeed, people fight over their beliefs, religion included. I'd say guns/atomic bomb/internet intensified violence, but did not cause it. That saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people" although slightly crass and shortsighted, does fit this bill. If we didn't have an atomic bomb or the internet, we'd be out there stabbing out our beliefs.

#16 2015-12-26 02:14:41, last edited by Pyromaniac (2015-12-26 04:20:02)

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

Wow a lot of you guys are undeniably pleasant person to be around. Just let people be. Damn. Looking at you zelda.

EDIT: wow, nothing like a censor to take the poignancy out of my post. Just to be clear, Im calling you a$$holes.

#17 2015-12-26 02:34:59

Anak

I think religion is very culturally significant, and grounding for some people. In a seemingly purposeless atheist world, theism provides purpose for those who need/want it. Of course, some people remain purposeless without religion but will also find that religion is not the answer for them.
Maybe that begs the question that if the world had been atheist since the dawn of time, would world culture still be the same, but just use something else in the place of religion?
I think another question that is important to ask is that, if parents didn't "force" (for lack of better word) religion onto their kids but their kid still learned about various religions, would there be as much religious people on Earth as there is?

#18 2015-12-26 02:36:07, last edited by Calicara (2015-12-26 02:38:19)

Calicara

I do believe in the "Guns don't kill people, people kill people argument." I mean in America people think giving more guns to people is going to prevent mass shootings, even though as we make it easier to get guns mass shootings go up, and statistically speaking, very few 'vigilantes' are able to really help anyone at all. Guns are only part of the problem.

That being said my the point is, I think religion, like technology, can be used for both good and evil.

Going back to Onjit's question: Is religion still useful? Do fables taken as truth provide a valuable moral and spiritual position, or is it more important to be realistic?

Think of it this way. We might lie to children all the time. We say Santa puts the gifts under the tree, he rides around with flying reindeer, and has workers called elves. Is filling their heads with hopes and dreams necessarily a bad thing? You can explain Santa's not real, but what would be the point? You can reason all the scientific improbabilities of why reindeer can't fly, and maybe prove that elves don't exist. But even when you realize it can't possibly be real, is the belief that they might be such a bad thing? It's when you use those beliefs to hurt others I think is the problem.

P.S. Even when we argue whether something 'exists', remember existence is not all about tangibility. Just because we can't see something, doesn't mean it isn't real.

tgA1y17.jpg

#19 2015-12-26 05:04:13

hummerz5

^Beliefs shelter us from reality, which might not be kind. As children we're given many tales to satisfy the mind. Perhaps religion is that grand humdinger... it satisfies those who don't want to face a purposeless void.

* This is assuming no god exists, otherwise comparing religion to a childhood story isn't valid. I realize we can't be certain one way or the other, but shh already

#20 2015-12-26 05:32:08, last edited by Calicara (2015-12-26 05:33:05)

Calicara

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp … e=5709A057

This meme makes me think of all the skeptics in the world. I do not like think of religion as a shelter from reality, but a relatively humane way of coping with existence. We are all born and we will all die someday. We do not know what happens after we die, we can only speculate.

We can deal with this in three ways:

1. Deny that there is any universal order and accept that everything is chaos
2. Accept there is some sort of order, but we're all doomed to be miserable
3. Accept there is some sort of order, and some people are miserable, and we can help to fix that

Mystery and belief enriches our lives and adds purpose to our otherwise void existence...

I mean. I'm a pretty cynical person, but this past year my grandma passed away. And I don't know if heaven is real, but I'm going to keep believing she is there. Because that belief is what helps me cope with the loss of a person I loved. The reality is cruel, and I don't deny that. But, when something hurts so bad the only way to deal with it is to pretend it's going to be ok, I think we can grant some liberties in denying what might be true.

tgA1y17.jpg

#21 2015-12-28 00:57:45, last edited by Yandax (2016-11-27 21:17:39)

Yandax

ZeldaXD wrote:

Seriously? Weren't you ever taught to respect the regions of others? I have a couple things to say about this statement.
First, good job insulting yourself. A blanket statement like that means that anyone who listens to people telling what to do is weak. For the rest of your life you will listen and hopefully obey someone. Whether it's your parents, boss, spouse, or physician, it'll happen.
Second, you just insulted about 80% if the world. I did a quick google search on that so that should be reasonably correct.
Third, many of the world's greatest mind have a religion.
Fourth, religion helps people. I've never seen atheism or evolutionists turn druggies and alcoholics turn into normal, nice, sober people.

I kinda added that last point to make a point for this entire topic.

Pretend I didn't exist until now

All hail me, the king of insensitive jerks

Woot if you hate me

#22 2015-12-29 04:26:43

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

shadowda wrote:

i'm honestly surprised people still believe in that stuff. i thought we were smarter that that. 

its about fear. the fear of death and the unknown. the only reason people still believe in, lets say Christianity, is so that they feel ok about death and so they have justification to do bad things. "as long as i believe in Jesus, i can do what ever i want."

I'm offended.
People who don't understand the religion do that.

#23 2015-12-29 05:02:57

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

ZeldaXD wrote:

You indeed described me correctly. Why else would I pray for help and apologize to God if I thought I were so powerful through life myself? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#24 2015-12-29 16:44:06

shadowda

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:
shadowda wrote:

its about fear. the fear of death and the unknown. the only reason people still believe in, lets say Christianity, is so that they feel ok about death and so they have justification to do bad things. "as long as i believe in Jesus, i can do what ever i want."

I'm offended.
People who don't understand the religion do that.

ok then. educate me. and what is "the religion". last time i checked there was more than one.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

#25 2015-12-29 16:50:41

shadowda

Yandax wrote:
ZeldaXD wrote:

Seriously? Weren't you ever taught to respect the regions of others? I have a couple things to say about this statement.
First, good job insulting yourself. A blanket statement like that means that anyone who listens to people telling what to do is weak. For the rest of your life you will listen and hopefully obey someone. Weather it's your parents, boss, spouse, or physician, it'll happen.
Second, you just insulted about 80% if the world. I did a quick google search on that so that should be reasonably correct.
Third, many of the world's greatest mind have a religion.
Fourth, religion helps people. I've never seen atheism or evolutionists turn druggies and alcoholics turn into normal, nice, sober people.

I kinda added that last point to make a point for this entire topic.

its been shown atheists are actually nicer people on average then religions people. becasue we dont need a god to tell us to be good people. and we don't expect everlasting happiness is we are nice.

When religious people do "good things" they are often doing so in conditioned response to an ethereal reward/punishment set of beliefs. When non-believers do "good things" its because they want to do them.

the article

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

Onjit1488533398649350

Board footer