Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-23 21:00:16

hummerz5

sending blocks

So, IIRC, everyone sends blocks with the delay (except for that one guy who made a thread and y'all ignored me saying the thread.sleep) as System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(delay)...

Would it be more efficient in this case to have a fancy timer setup, or a form of WaitCall, so it isn't hogging a thread?

Or is the delay so minimal that the benefit is negligible compared to the extra processing required?

#2 2015-12-23 22:53:57, last edited by Tomahawk (2015-12-23 22:58:31)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Re: sending blocks

I've had decent results with a timer and a queue; the timer send a block for every tick when the queue has 1+ items in it, so all I need to is queue block packets. This has the added benefit of being able to easily add packets sent to a list, as a few ticks after a block is sent, the code checks whether that block is still in the list - the packet is removed from the list if/when it's received back from "b".

While it's definitely more difficult to get a timer doing something similar, in the long run it saves a good few lines of code by removing the need for any Thread.Sleep() or terrible thread hogging.

Whether it's actually more efficient... ^^ I can't really say. It's definitely more convenient, especially with block-checking added, and it might be faster given that the resolution of Thread.Sleep is about 10 or 15ms. Timers can be reprogrammed to have a resolution of 1ms.

• I was on a roll while coding this, and made the timer automatically optimise its tick to send blocks as fast as possible without resending too many packets. In that case a timer is even more convenient.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:
Tomahawk1450907637569768

Board footer