Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-20 20:25:47

Hostage
Banned
Website

"Being Offended"

Yeah ok.
I've been thinking for a while now,and i made this.
Offensive.Being offended.
Insulting.
Insulting does not exist.
You do not choose for someone to be offended,they do.
They can ignore it.
But i know what you're thinking.
What if someone constantly gets offended,like every single day?
Well that won't happen if someone just ignores it,but in rare cases some stubborn people will keep doing it no matter what.
And?
They say emotional pain is worse than physical pain.
Hell no!
What hurts more;
when someone calls you names and makes incredibly clever & funny roasts about it EVERY SINGLE DAY
or when somebody punches you in the stomach EVERY SINGLE DAY
Still,they're just words.You can't offend someone with an object,can you?
You have to say something to "offend" them.
But it's your choice,go cry because you get laughed at at school or just laugh with them.
Oh i forgot.
Cyber bullying.
WHAT THE HELL?
CYBER BULLYING?ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
GETTING CALLED NAMES ONLINE BY A PERSON YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW?
Cyber bullying.Even more useless than twitter.Oh wait-that's instagram.

35fa6ee9efa7e42687d426ffeba72dbdb9a95cbfb7d221d698ca2146feebab7c.jpg

#2 2015-12-20 20:28:29

hummerz5

Re: "Being Offended"

I have no idea what you want to debate here. Quick, before the mods come!

Cyber bullying? Yeah, we get "rallies" in school about that topic. Apparently people are in danger of suiciding due to this kind of bullying. Logically, there has to be something we're missing. If it was that easy to just ignore the insults, why would there be such an issue surrounding it?

#3 2015-12-20 20:34:15

Hostage
Banned
Website

The people that wanna commit suicide.Ugh.This "bullying" happens every single day,everywhere.It's like cutting yourself with your dad's razor as a kid.It's bad,it hurts and you cry etc.But you don't keep cutting yourself with that razor every day,don't you?Even though that razor is still in the same spot,where you can reach it.

#4 2015-12-20 20:35:03

hummerz5

well, I don't really walk past my dad's razor... I don't think he really has one I could do a number on myself with
so I'm not sure where your analogy is going

#5 2015-12-20 20:39:05

Hostage
Banned
Website

call me when your dad comes out of puberty

#6 2015-12-20 20:39:53

hummerz5

ok will do

#7 2015-12-20 20:41:49

Schlog

i have no idea what this discussion even is
i read the op and it's too confusing to understand

#8 2015-12-20 20:43:34

Hostage
Banned
Website

tl;dr
topic i wrote in 2 minutes
turned into something

#9 2015-12-20 20:46:11

Bobithan

I'll give this topic some direction, I guess:

Is being offended by insults, in real life or online, really that big of a deal? Do they do damage or should everybody just ignore the "haters"?

aka towwl

Wooted by:

#10 2015-12-20 21:07:32

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Bobithan wrote:

Is being offended by insults, in real life or online, really that big of a deal? Do they do damage or should everybody just ignore the "haters"?

Everyone says to ignore the "haters" and to move on.  That's easier said than done.  No matter how many times you are insulted or cursed, you never go numb to the words.

Everyone's excuse of "welcome to the internet" is one of the **** things I've ever heard.  So because it's the internet it's okay to abuse people?

Discord: jawp#5123

#11 2015-12-20 21:18:17, last edited by Calicara (2015-12-20 21:19:06)

Calicara

I am indifferent to this subject.

You see on one hand I believe that constructive bullying builds character. For example, calling someone noob should not be the start of world war III, but for a lot of people it is. And the sooner people learn it's just a word the sooner they can get over the fact that it only has meaning so long as you allow it to.

That being said, there are certain lines which should not be crossed. For example, I would never tell someone to kill themselves even jokingly. I would also never joke about someones sexuality, or deceased loved ones. There are certain subjects which shouldn't be approached.

There is a difference between building character and just being mean.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

Wooted by:

#12 2015-12-20 21:23:44

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Calicara wrote:

constructive bullying

What?  Bullying is bullying.  There is nothing constructive about it.  The only thing you do to someone's character when you bully them, is ruin it.

#13 2015-12-20 21:52:51

Anak

Cyberbullying can be very different to bullying in real life
In real life, say in school, it's not something you can just escape so easily. You can't just move on, because you might see these people every day. There's no way to block someone in real life. Meanwhile on the internet, it's easier to just walk away from things. Someone can make a comment on you and you can just ignore it and say "I'll never see you in my life again"

#14 2015-12-20 22:10:35, last edited by Calicara (2015-12-20 22:14:50)

Calicara

JaWapa wrote:
Calicara wrote:

constructive bullying

What?  Bullying is bullying.  There is nothing constructive about it.  The only thing you do to someone's character when you bully them, is ruin it.

Not true! While it's true bully's are usually meaning to cause harm without good intention, some kinds of bullying can have positive effects. For example, you call someone a name long enough and they're not going to care anymore. They're gonna realize there's worse things than being called a stupid name liked idiot/fat/noob etc...

The other thing it can do is spur a positive effective in the bullied, in which they feel they need to work harder to be better. So for example, a person who might be just ok at drawing might work harder and become better as side effect to someone telling them they suck. Thus in effect the bully spurred that person to be a better artist.

It comes down the base argument of Good Vs Evil. One cannot exist without the other, they are coexistent.

tgA1y17.jpg

#15 2015-12-20 22:23:41

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

So you're saying it toughens them up?  What about the people who can't handle being called names, and start to inflict harm on themselves.  Do you think they eventually go numb to the cuts on their arms?

There is criticism and being an **** hole.

Wooted by:

#16 2015-12-20 22:30:54

Anak

Tough love is bs quite honestly. It doesn't make people think "Wow, I appreciate them for toughening me up", it makes people think "I want to get away from them because they're mean to me."
Maybe just don't be petty and be nice

Wooted by: (2)

#17 2015-12-20 23:07:11, last edited by Calicara (2015-12-20 23:09:47)

Calicara

JaWapa wrote:

So you're saying it toughens them up?  What about the people who can't handle being called names, and start to inflict harm on themselves.  Do you think they eventually go numb to the cuts on their arms?

There is criticism and being an booty hole.

Being called names can both help and hurt. Obviously if someone feels inflicted to the point where they need to commit self harm that is a problem, and that is not what I'm advocating. You're taking my opinion to generally.

Anak wrote:

Tough love is bs quite honestly. It doesn't make people think "Wow, I appreciate them for toughening me up", it makes people think "I want to get away from them because they're mean to me."

I disagree. Sometimes you have to push people to be better. Tough love can be effective, but again there is a difference between being constructively mean and just being plain mean. This is the reason we have so many PC people in the world, because they grow up believing they are good special little snowflakes. Sometimes you just have to be told you suck. Like ripping a band-aid off a wound, you'll get over it.

tgA1y17.jpg

#18 2015-12-20 23:15:28

Anak

Calicara wrote:
Anak wrote:

I disagree. Sometimes you have to push people to be better. Tough love can be effective, but again there is a difference between being constructively mean and just being plain mean. This is the reason we have so many PC people in the world, because they grow up believing they are good special little snowflakes. Sometimes you just have to be told you suck. Like ripping a band-aid off a wound, you'll get over it.

Constructively mean isn't a thing though
Like, you don't say to someone "Your art sucks!" thinking it'll make them get better. They just won't want to talk to you anymore. Seriously just be nice to people.

Wooted by: (2)

#19 2015-12-20 23:43:24, last edited by Calicara (2015-12-20 23:44:59)

Calicara

But it is.... I think it's best looked at case by case... But for me here's how it is,

I was bullied in Middle School for having weight problems and not being part of the 'cool crowd'. It made me upset at the time but looking back now I think I am a better person for it. Freshman year of college someone called me a (swear), and I just kept walking. (Where as most people might try to pick a fight.) It taught me to pick and choose my battles and to not get offended over stupid names.

Besides you know what they were right in middle school. I was fat, I did suck. Even if I though they were wrong I didn't have anything to show for myself. We were just kids being kids. But I learned to get over it, I grew thick skin. I went off to college. I was lonely for a while but I learned how to create a support system. I did more growing when i was sad than I did when I was happy. I don't know how else to explain it to you. Watch animes. The more the hero is put down, the stronger he becomes.

tgA1y17.jpg

#20 2015-12-21 01:06:43, last edited by Zoey2070 (2015-12-21 01:14:06)

Crastopher
Website

w... what? where do i... even begin with this?

its.. okay to bully? its okay... to insult people? to hurt them? this is so far stretched youve already snapped this subject into pieces. its.. never okay to insult someone? ever??? no matter what???????

constructive criticism is telling someone things they can improve on in a positive manner. "i think your art looks pretty good! if you wanted to improve even more, maybe try working on hands more. : )" is absolutely different from "haha your hands suck". where are you getting "constructive bullying" from? bullying is defined as the act of physically or emotionally harming someone. theres... no circumstance whatsoever that is defendably "good". no matter what. this shouldnt be hard to get??????

say i dated some kid named... lets say, zach. zach emotionally manipulated and physically abused me. i finally broke out of the relationship, and now im more wary of people who try to manipulate my thoughts and opinions. and now i dont care for when someone tries to guilt trip me or threaten me.

so that abuse and manipulation i had to go through is all of a sudden good, because i learned from it?? now this kid zach shouldnt go to jail because he was "constructively abusing me"?? no!! thats not okay!!! you are saying that insulting and intentionally hurting people is okay!! no!! okay!!

do you understand how hard it is for me to resist flipping out right now? what you are saying is not **** okay!! bullying is not **** okay!! no matter what!! in 2012, 64% of gun deaths were due to suicide! do you think that 64% were all just like "hey, im going to literally destroy my entire existance because it's a cool fad and all my riends are doing it!" or something? what the hell is wrong with you? how can you literally sit there and wholeheartedly believe and argue that bullying in any form whatsoever is acceptable at ALL? there is no excuse for bullying. there is no excuse for bullying. there is no excuse for bullying.

youre saying that its okay to insult someone and attack them instead of being kind and going "keep it up, youre doing well!"!!!!!!!!!!!! theres no damn "case-to-case" situation!!! harming!! someone!! on!! purpose!! is!! wrong!! in EVERY case, EVERY SINGLE CASE, SUPPORTING them and BELIEVING in them is incredibly acceptable, and INSULTING them and PUTTING THEM DOWN is NOT! WHAT! SO! EVER!

clean your life! talk to a counsellor! talk to ANYONE! about this! bullying! is! wrong! P E R I O D!

im gay

Wooted by:

#21 2015-12-21 01:09:48, last edited by Zoey2070 (2015-12-21 01:14:20)

Bimps

Crastopher wrote:

its.. okay to bully? its okay... to insult people? to hurt them? this is so far stretched youve already snapped this subject into pieces. its.. never okay to insult someone? ever??? no matter what???????

constructive criticism is telling someone things they can improve on in a positive manner. "i think your art looks pretty good! if you wanted to improve even more, maybe try working on hands more. : )" is absolutely different from "haha your hands suck". where are you getting "constructive bullying" from? bullying is defined as the act of physically or emotionally harming someone. theres... no circumstance whatsoever that is defendably "good". no matter what. this shouldnt be hard to get??????

say i dated some kid named... lets say, zach. zach emotionally manipulated and physically abused me. i finally broke out of the relationship, and now im more wary of people who try to manipulate my thoughts and opinions. and now i dont care for when someone tries to guilt trip me or threaten me.

so that abuse and manipulation i had to go through is all of a sudden good, because i learned from it?? now this kid zach shouldnt go to jail because he was "constructively abusing me"?? no!! thats not okay!!! you are saying that insulting and intentionally hurting people is okay!! no!! okay!!

do you understand how hard it is for me to resist flipping out right now? what you are saying is not **** okay!! bullying is not **** okay!! no matter what!! in 2012, 64% of gun deaths were due to suicide! do you think that 64% were all just like "hey, im going to literally destroy my entire existance because it's a cool fad and all my riends are doing it!" or something? what the hell is wrong with you? how can you literally sit there and wholeheartedly believe and argue that bullying in any form whatsoever is acceptable at ALL? there is no excuse for bullying. there is no excuse for bullying. there is no excuse for bullying.

youre saying that its okay to insult someone and attack them instead of being kind and going "keep it up, youre doing well!"!!!!!!!!!!!! theres no damn "case-to-case" situation!!! harming!! someone!! on!! purpose!! is!! wrong!! in EVERY case, EVERY SINGLE CASE, SUPPORTING them and BELIEVING in them is incredibly acceptable, and INSULTING them and PUTTING THEM DOWN is NOT! WHAT! SO! EVER!

clean your life! talk to a counsellor! talk to ANYONE! about this! bullying! is! wrong! P E R I O D!

calm down ipwner and wait out your ban

Wooted by:

#22 2015-12-21 01:12:51

Insanity

LOL if you get offended by what someone says from behind a computer screen

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

Wooted by:

#23 2015-12-21 01:21:43, last edited by Zoey2070 (2015-12-21 02:47:36)

Crastopher
Website

Crastopher wrote:

i am so **** at this! stop defending it! its not bimps okay to intentionally hurt people! do you know why it's called putting someone down? because youre LOWERING their self-esteem! how can you think insulting and harming someone in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER is okay in ANY CASE WHATSOEVER! its! not! learning and becoming a better person due to a bad situation DOES NOT MAKE THE SITUATION GOOD!

i dont even know what to say anymore. im just completely baffled you could legitemately argue that bullying is okay at all. that is literally so disrespectful to the millions upon MILLIONS who committed suicide!! who cut!! who hurt themselves!! who attempted suicide!! who got DEPRESSION and who got ANXIETY and PARANOIA as a result of bullying!! bullying!! is never!! okay!!

shut up about constructive bullying! that DOESNT EXIST! being constructive is helping someone up off the ground!! it means youre making them feel better!! bullying is just knocking them right back into the mud!! theres no "constructive bullying"! you are literally so insensitive and disrespectful to EVERYONE whos been put down and whos been hurt physically and whos been hurt emotionally!!!

i dont. CARE! about your situation!! okay! im absolutely glad that you grew thick skin from that horrible situation!! but that DOESNT make it right!!! i dont care if theyre "kids"! their age does not justify the fact that they INTENTIONALLY hurt you!! and not everyone can grow thick skin!! suicide is the second highest method of death in teenagers and pre-teens!!!!!! MOST. people! cannot grow thick skin!!!!! stop pretending that the fact that YOU survived a situation means that EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS WORLD CAN! there's 7 BILLION people in the world. and NONE of them are you! but ONE!

dont even respond until you watch this video, okay? what you are saying is not acceptable in any form. defending bullying is not acceptable in any form. defending bullying is not acceptable in any form.

im gay

#24 2015-12-21 01:48:37, last edited by hummerz5 (2015-12-21 01:48:56)

hummerz5

This is also sorta funny with the whole "quit crying m8, life ain't fair" thing people say. Those same folk say "hey man, bullying isn't good, so we'll protect you m8" Slightly hypocritical.

If life isn't fair, then yes, some bullying is constructive. It might not be right, but this world isn't perfect. Ignoring the fact that some people are [donkey depressions] doesn't help you cope with life. Early exposure gives you better defense/coping mechanisms.

#25 2015-12-21 01:51:17

Different55
Forum Admin

Crastopher wrote:

do you understand how hard it is for me to resist flipping out right now? what you are saying is not f**king okay!! bullying is not f**king okay!! no matter what!! in 2012, 64% of gun deaths were due to suicide! do you think that 64% were all just like "hey, im going to literally destroy my entire existance because it's a cool fad and all my riends are doing it!" or something? what the hell is wrong with you? how can you literally sit there and wholeheartedly believe and argue that bullying in any form whatsoever is acceptable at ALL? there is no excuse for bullying. there is no excuse for bullying. there is no excuse for bullying.

i am so **** at this! stop defending it! its not bimps okay to intentionally hurt people! do you know why it's called putting someone down? because youre LOWERING their self-esteem! how can you think insulting and harming someone in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER is okay in ANY CASE WHATSOEVER! its! not! learning and becoming a better person due to a bad situation DOES NOT MAKE THE SITUATION GOOD!

i dont even know what to say anymore. im just completely baffled you could legitemately argue that bullying is okay at all. that is literally so disrespectful to the millions upon MILLIONS who committed suicide!! who cut!! who hurt themselves!! who attempted suicide!! who got DEPRESSION and who got ANXIETY and PARANOIA as a result of bullying!! bullying!! is never!! okay!!

shut up about constructive bullying! that DOESNT EXIST! being constructive is helping someone up off the ground!! it means youre making them feel better!! bullying is just knocking them right back into the mud!! theres no "constructive bullying"! you are literally so insensitive and disrespectful to EVERYONE whos been put down and whos been hurt physically and whos been hurt emotionally!!!

i dont. CARE! about your situation!! okay! im absolutely glad that you grew thick skin from that horrible situation!! but that DOESNT make it right!!! i dont care if theyre "kids"! their age does not justify the fact that they INTENTIONALLY hurt you!! and not everyone can grow thick skin!! suicide is the second highest method of death in teenagers and pre-teens!!!!!! MOST. people! cannot grow thick skin!!!!! stop pretending that the fact that YOU survived a situation means that EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS WORLD CAN! there's 7 BILLION people in the world. and NONE of them are you! but ONE!

dont even respond until you watch this video, okay? what you are saying is not acceptable in any form. defending bullying is not acceptable in any form. defending bullying is not acceptable in any form.

Take 5, and come back and make your points in plain english. Even if what you say has merit to it, nobody's going to take you seriously or even bother to read through what you say when you're hysterical, or at least when your text reads that way.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

Wooted by:
hummerz51450749096569298

Board footer