Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-17 05:11:27

Bobithan

Does PewDiePie deserve what he earns?

As we all know, PewDiePie is the most popular YouTuber on the Internet, and from a quick Google search you can find that he makes ~$7.6 million a year.

So my question is: Should he be making that much?

aka towwl

#2 2015-12-17 05:14:33

Ratburntro44
Website

Re: Does PewDiePie deserve what he earns?

why not, if someone feels like giving him that money then i see no reason to stop them

Wooted by:

#3 2015-12-17 05:14:37

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Not seeing where that's a 7.6 million annual job.  He sits around and plays games.  I call B.S.

Discord: jawp#5123

#4 2015-12-17 05:19:47

hummerz5

"Deserve"

There are many jobs that seem unbalanced for the work put in and the money output.
Celebrities come to mind; they act, sing, or do the sporting and get paid sizable sums for their actions.

The common complaint argument is "why are soldiers, risking their lives, paid less than footballers, risking their (?)"

At first, I'd say no. To all of these examples. But then we're opening such a large can of worms as to "when does a person doing work not "earn" the wages"? and I'd just as soon not consider those questions.
So although the system is totally skewed, it still is capitalism.

#5 2015-12-17 05:33:07

Schlog

Hell no. All he does is scream into a microphone and play video games.

Wooted by: (2)

#6 2015-12-17 05:34:03

Insanity

tbh he did something right to get to that point

so yes, imo he does

this is just how the world works

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

Wooted by: (3)

#7 2015-12-17 05:42:00

Xfrogman43

Does anyone actually deserve anything? It's all perspective and what you think of that particular individual. If a lot of people think he deserves what he earns, then he will just keep getting bigger and bigger until he eventually explodes and dies off.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#8 2015-12-17 05:52:14

Krosis
Formerly Arkonagames
Website

as long he is earning his money by legit things, then why not?
it's not like he is getting money from illegal things

Krosis.gif

#9 2015-12-17 06:24:56, last edited by Calicara (2015-12-17 06:26:07)

Calicara

JaWapa wrote:

Not seeing where that's a 7.6 million annual job.  He sits around and plays games.  I call B.S.

I pretty much agree with Jawapa. Though I'd be interested to know what he does with all that money. Is it a straight to pocket thing or what? How much of that money goes to new games/equipment? I'm not so familiar with Pewdewpie as I am with Game Grumps.

I don't think anyone deserves to get paid to do practically nothing, but eh... If he's using that money for his equipment, and/or to help others, I don't see the issue so much as if we was pocketing it and using it only for himself.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

#10 2015-12-17 06:37:07

Gosha

MLGNinja wrote:

Hell no. All he does is scream into a microphone and play video games.

More you scream = More views = more money.

Wooted by:

#11 2015-12-17 06:39:29

Null
Website

It's a pretty insane figure for what he does, but he's giving his audience what they want. I've heard most popular Youtubers are good entrepreneurs as such.
You just gotta know what a large demographic wants and give it to em.

At least we can take solace knowing that he often uses his widespread attention for charities and fundraising work.

[only logs in here when drunk]
EE Pics
______

#12 2015-12-17 06:46:24

Not directly related to PewDiePie but this is one of my favorite articles I've ever read and it pops in my mind every time celebrities' wages are discussed.
http://supportersnotcustomers.com/2013/ … ers-wages/

And just like most famous people, I'd say most of all that money comes from their "branding" - the sheer marketing potential they have.
For example, you might say Cristiano Ronaldo shouldn't earn millions from playing football (and he's been pretty lacking in the football department lately..) He actually doesn't, really. Most of those millions come from sponsoring, advertising and the like - just make him appear in person in your 10-second ad or tweet something about your brand and you'll at the very least making all the fangirls wet over your product. Or in the case of PewDiePie, all the 12-year-old Minecrafters?

#13 2015-12-17 07:31:25

AmdS
Website

I like their job with YouTube and I watch theirs videos when I am bored, but 40 millions of subscribes is so legit.

If he do what he like, or if he do people happy watching their videos, why not?

#14 2015-12-17 07:54:02

Gosha

Don't really know why people care
He found easy way to earn money
I think that you just jealous , like everybody , but pls just don't care
If you don't like pewdiepie's way to earn money - don't watch him. Done

#15 2015-12-17 13:09:21

Nebula

He is famous! OMG
fine he deserve it.

#16 2015-12-17 16:35:46

Creature

Is his job useful? No.
Does his job helps people in their life? No.
Does his job requires knowledge? No.

Youtube, you should stop spending large money in gaming youtubers.

This is a false statement.

Wooted by:

#17 2015-12-17 17:25:46, last edited by Abelysk (2015-12-17 17:26:00)

Abelysk

PewDiePie started small, ended up big.

This proves that entertainment is the most important thing in life! Heck, people who play sports get more money than doctors. Ridiculous.

#18 2015-12-17 22:53:28, last edited by Muftwin (2015-12-17 22:54:04)

Muftwin

hummerz5 wrote:

"Deserve"

There are many jobs that seem unbalanced for the work put in and the money output.
Celebrities come to mind; they act, sing, or do the sporting and get paid sizable sums for their actions.

The common complaint argument is "why are soldiers, risking their lives, paid less than footballers, risking their (?)"

At first, I'd say no. To all of these examples. But then we're opening such a large can of worms as to "when does a person doing work not "earn" the wages"? and I'd just as soon not consider those questions.

Implying getting people to like you widespread is easy. If being a calebrity singer or a minecraft lper is an easy job to you go do it as you said you'll make way more doing it than most other things.

hNtlhM5.png
ZOEY DOESNT ACCEPT ANYTHING

#19 2015-12-18 01:22:16

Anch

No but Danielcool1 deserves it.

Wooted by:

#20 2015-12-18 05:14:34

hummerz5

Muftwin wrote:
hummerz5 wrote:

"Deserve"

Implying getting people to like you widespread is easy. If being a calebrity singer or a minecraft lper is an easy job to you go do it as you said you'll make way more doing it than most other things.

Right, but isn't that really just a stroke of luck? Of the hundreds(thousands?) of "totally awesome minecrafters" who have youtube accounts, how many actually make that money? I figure it's a combination of personality traits and timing. He couldn't have done any work to streamline that market... sure, it wouldn't be easy for us, but it wasn't hard for him.

Back on topic:
Additionally, we are in no position to ask if anyone deserves what they make. capitalism at its finest, your deciding whether or not something is moral doesn't apply to whether or not they made the money. A system of that sort simply couldn't thrive. Well, it could, but it'd be dull.

#21 2015-12-18 06:28:25

!nb4
Formerly AYB

One letter:
No
All PEW PEW PEW
pewdiepie does is sit around playing video games and jokes around (and curses)
I thing he is just some crappy guy

ZCK0zcQ.gif

#22 2015-12-18 16:51:15

Hostage
Banned
Website

Because there are 30 million (or more) 10 year olds in the world.

inb4 someone quotes "including u lelele" and gets 20 woots

35fa6ee9efa7e42687d426ffeba72dbdb9a95cbfb7d221d698ca2146feebab7c.jpg

#23 2015-12-18 21:20:17

Bimps

AYB wrote:

One letter:
No

those are two letters

#24 2015-12-18 21:44:37

Muftwin

Right, but isn't that really just a stroke of luck? Of the hundreds(thousands?) of "totally awesome minecrafters" who have youtube accounts, how many actually make that money? I figure it's a combination of personality traits and timing. He couldn't have done any work to streamline that market... sure, it wouldn't be easy for us, but it wasn't hard for him.

How is it luck? hes actually the best minecraft youtuber the only way you could judge this objectively is by how many people follow him/how much money he makes, which he wins. Is it really "luck" that he apparently has such a great personality. We're getting too deep here, can you even control yourself or is your personality just "luck"? I dont think so.

hNtlhM5.png
ZOEY DOESNT ACCEPT ANYTHING

#25 2015-12-19 00:43:35

hummerz5

Muftwin wrote:

How is it luck? hes actually the best minecraft youtuber the only way you could judge this objectively is by how many people follow him/how much money he makes, which he wins. Is it really "luck" that he apparently has such a great personality. We're getting too deep here, can you even control yourself or is your personality just "luck"? I dont think so.

Well, the way I figure, he has personality traits. It just so happens that there was an opening (albeit we didn't know) for "the best minecraft youtuber" who fit the bill. I'm still sticking to chance here.

- the chance that YouTube would take a Minecraft play-and-video person
- the chance that (out of the hundreds that probably tried before him with those videos) he was promoted
- the chance that his personality held qualities to support his becoming popular.

If chance isn't the right word, OK. But you cannot set 10 people down, tell them to become an internet sensation playing a video game, and have them succeed.

You ask "can you even control yourself or is your personality just luck." Either way, it doesn't matter. If he chose those traits, or his personality predetermined them, somehow the combination ensured his success.
Provided we're assuming he succeeded through personality, as opposed to some conspiracy theory.

Master11450544279568480

Board footer