Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-17 04:57:23

Evilbunny

How big of an issue is swearing

I don't think swearing is an issue after the age of 12.
I say this because if you know a child who swears, they aren't very good communicators. They use the same insults and words over and over again without actually explaining themselves. Children are constantly learning how to use language and if the have swearing crutch words to rely on, they will have a hard time maturing.
Around the age of 12 kids usually have a pretty good grasp of what is expected of them and it should be up to them how they want to express themselves, even if that is just trash talking on Xbox live or whatever.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#2 2015-12-17 05:04:50, last edited by mrjawapa (2015-12-17 05:13:21)

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Re: How big of an issue is swearing

who bimpsing cares?

I've never understood why we disallow younger people to say certain words.  Is it because it has more emotion behind it?  We're restricting people from showing extreme emotion?  Why?

"When you insult people using those words it hurts more!"  Well since they have more meaning behind them, then yeah, I guess I understand that.  But instead of restricting a person from a particular word, beat the living **** out of them the first time they decide to insult someone.

Discord: jawp#5123

#3 2015-12-17 05:05:54

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

the thing is, not everyone on here is twelve or older. that's pretty much all it boils down to, and several words we have censored (on here) (also i'm pretty much assuming this is specifically on here) are pretty much only used to insult people.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#4 2015-12-17 05:06:50

hummerz5

Why do we consider swearing an issue? Why is it that people consider that language unacceptable? Seems a bit outdated. (Though I am one who doesn't curse every sentence, shockingly)

IIRC, kiddos start grasping curse words by the age of 4-6 or something. They just don't use 'em because of the parenting methinks. [citation needed]

#5 2015-12-17 12:12:40

Nebula

swearing turns into <snip>. All knows.

#6 2015-12-17 12:31:27, last edited by rgl32 (2015-12-17 12:31:55)

rgl32

You can say things like crap or darn and in most cases and you won't get told it's bad to say, swearing is generally just looked down upon in society for some reason. But the truth is, there are workarounds to almost every swear word where it would magically become acceptable, some exceptions, but not a lot.

As for small kids, they typically repeat what they hear from others (friends/family/etc.), so they tend to have less of a filter, and hardly know what they are saying. Those words are typically used more appropriately once they are older. I'm not stating this as fact, just my experience from paying attention to others.

#7 2015-12-17 12:42:21

Nebula

Swearing is bad. Filter is life.
//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#8 2015-12-17 18:14:24

Insanity

it's not an issue lol

kids learn to swear in school at the age of 10-12

they just know not to use those words otherwise they get rekt

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

Wooted by: (5)

#9 2015-12-20 21:19:45

Abelysk

When kids swear, you know they've been around the wrong group.
The more people swear, the worse they morally are.

#10 2015-12-20 21:26:05

Insanity

Kefka wrote:

swearing has nothing to do with morality

idk why swear words are even called swears

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.

#11 2015-12-20 21:27:08

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Kefka wrote:

mfw i am a serial killer based on how much i swear

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by: (3)

#12 2015-12-20 21:29:27

Schlog

Kefka wrote:

Is this another way to call me Hitler? This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you be morally wrong for swearing?

#13 2015-12-20 21:32:08

Tako
Website

I think some of us need an emotional outlet (e.g. when you stub your toe or drop a glass) and when you let children use them, they're unlikely to understand the connotation, and will use them at an inappropriate time. This dilutes the significance and makes the word essentially useless.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#14 2015-12-20 22:56:14

hummerz5

Kefka wrote:

I have to agree with this. Sure, it's not a 100% guarantee, Zoey, and it doesn't guarantee your morals, MLG, but it is a good indicator.

Tako may have a point with the misunderstanding relating when cursing is acceptable.

But, my uneducated opinion is that we've all heard a good deal of swear words. Some more than others. This means we're all capable of using them. However, whether or not you use them DOES show whether or not you can stick to your morals.

I feel part of it deals with the parent impressions. IF they're strict about keeping with morals, and including swearing as part of the morals, the kids'll keep or drop it as a whole.

If not causation, the people around here who curse often are also those who have the "underage drinking party scene" going on with 'em too. Probably something about breaking rules, idk.

#15 2015-12-20 23:44:02

Erquerliet

Don't insult anybody and you're free to swear all you want.

TnhaiGq.png

Wooted by:

#16 2015-12-20 23:49:50

Calicara

Kefka wrote:

I disagree. Many people don't realize it but for each situation we have different types of lexicons. IE: We will talk to our parents differently than we talk to our teachers, and we will talk to our teachers differently than we talk to our friends. It's the same social standards that allow gay people to call each other "****" or allow black people to call each other "****". Different words are more socially acceptable in some circles than others. It has nothing to do with morality.

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

Wooted by:

#17 2015-12-21 00:26:38

hummerz5

^filter gotcha! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Good point! We compartmentalize certain expressions for certain people! I wholeheartedly agree. That doesn't change how I can compare between people who talk to me (as friends, or acquaintances) with obscenities.

I won't get specific, because everyone here has different morals. If I make an example, we'll sidetrack so hard. BUT, again. There is a slight correlation between people who curse generously and those who have bad backgrounds... at least, as bad as I can hint towards in a small town high school setting!

#18 2016-10-05 01:28:36

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I just read NorwegianBoy's post on the update topic and I started to write a response. Since my post started to turn into an off-topic rant, I thought I would post it here instead in hope that it revives some discussion.

I think taboo swearing fills a role that can't really be filled with something else. When somebody is politer than most others, people tend to notice. If we treat all words with the same "shock" value, there is no behaviour considered "good". There's a problem with this — people like to offend other people just to see their reaction. Maybe you're right, in that people shouldn't get that offended when people try to do that (see also: comedy, which almost always has to invoke something offensive). However, my problem with swearing is that it overuses a swear word just to try to repeatedly give that "impact" when in reality it makes that word more meaningless and tasteless. And yes, swear words are designed to offend, otherwise people would use random words such as "umbrella" as swear words. If you make a dead baby joke, some may find it funny the first time, but if you say it ten times to shock people, people will get tired of that and understandably criticize you for that. Even if everybody did accept swearing, there would be no use of swearing since its point is to shock people. People would start only using the most offensive English slurs, then invent new ones. The cycle would only continue.

Calicara wrote:
Kefka wrote:

I disagree. Many people don't realize it but for each situation we have different types of lexicons. IE: We will talk to our parents differently than we talk to our teachers, and we will talk to our teachers differently than we talk to our friends. It's the same social standards that allow gay people to call each other "****" or allow black people to call each other "****". Different words are more socially acceptable in some circles than others. It has nothing to do with morality.

I disagree with that. Just like how somebody would be finer with swearing when talking to a friend than to a parent, a friend would be finer with getting drunk and partying with a friend than a parent. I would like to note that I'm not saying that swearing makes likely to get drunk and party etc. I think that the reverse applies, that those more careless about their behavior will swear more. Resisting the temptation to try to "shock" people with swear words is a sign of discipline. If you use it only in rare cases to emphasize what you say, good for you, but you're only part of a small minority of younger people.

#19 2016-10-05 02:10:18

MBlood

99% of EE is older than 10 years, and they swear, too.

Away.

#20 2016-10-05 02:10:48

Insanity

It isn't even an issue

#21 2016-10-05 02:42:57

Yandax

More than half of you people posting on this topic ask why it is actually offending/wrong to swear, but you yourselves swear, and do it to get shock. To get the point across. If you didn't think this wasn't a problem, you wouldn't swear as much and use different words.

(Yeah, yeah,  posting this was probably a bad idea.)

Pretend I didn't exist until now

All hail me, the king of insensitive jerks

Woot if you hate me

Wooted by:

#22 2016-10-05 11:08:06

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

It's an issue when it turns the chat toxic. I don't wanna read messages in which players swear at each other.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Tomahawk1475662086627978

Board footer