Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-10 22:12:00, last edited by Tako (2015-12-10 22:19:45)

Tako
Website

Is life fair?

Do you think life is fair?

Options:
Yes
No; unfair
No; life is neither, because fairness doesn't exist

Explain.

----

Subquestions:

What is life (in this context)?

Options:
The humans themselves and their interactions with nature. (Are the events that comprise X's life fair?)
A manifestation of an ideal, created by a supernatural being, but flawed by nature. The ideal is (a) except perfect. (Is life supposed to be fair?)
Other (Explain)

Explain.

Yes I know I phrased this like an intense homework question but it's not; I think it's a cool thing to think about.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#2 2015-12-10 22:16:52

Bobithan

Re: Is life fair?

There is no true decider for what is fair and what is unfair, proven by how this is a debatable topic; therefore it is neither fair nor unfair for any definition of "life".

#3 2015-12-10 22:17:48

Koya
Fabulous Member

No, we never have equal opportunities and it's just down to luck; it's not fair but you can balance out within a lifetime.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#4 2015-12-10 22:17:53

Tako
Website

Bobithan wrote:

There is no true decider for what is fair and what is unfair, proven by how this is a debatable topic; therefore it is neither fair nor unfair for any definition of "life".

You put words to the idea that I've felt but haven't been able to articulate. Thank you.

Wooted by:

#5 2015-12-10 22:18:49

Tako
Website

Koya wrote:

No, we never have equal opportunities and it's just down to luck; it's not fair but you can balance out within a lifetime.

So you think the potential for fairness has nothing to do with its definition?

#6 2015-12-10 22:20:03

Anak

Life isn't fair nor unfair, but rather how humanity has shaped life is either of those.

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2015-12-10 22:22:34, last edited by Tako (2015-12-10 22:23:50)

Tako
Website

Anak wrote:

Life isn't fair nor unfair, but rather how humanity has shaped life is either of those.

What is your definition of life here? Also I'm little foggy on your grammar, could you rephrase the last 4 words?

#8 2015-12-10 22:23:53

Anak

Tako wrote:
Anak wrote:

What is your definition of life here?

Birth to death, nature, Earth, etc. Things lie that can't really be objectively defined in such a way.

#9 2015-12-10 22:27:08

Pingohits
Banned

fairness is an idea developed by humankind

splitting a cookie in two is considered fair, but what really is fair?

it is impossible to IMAGINE fairness, because it is merely a concept

in the cookie problem, what if the other half was to a person with a serious gluten allergy? (considering the fact the cookie is gluten and must be eaten)

would that be FAIR?

would it be fair to devour a snack where you would soon meet your untimely demise?

what we have to understand is that the idea of fairness is something we think we understand, but in reality we do not. Kind of like the brain.

791mAP8.png

#10 2015-12-10 22:27:33, last edited by Tako (2015-12-10 22:31:48)

Tako
Website

Anak wrote:

Things lie that can't really be objectively defined in such a way.

That didn't stop Plato from definitng "justice", or Aristotle from defining "happiness". Life is just as concrete as either of those, yet they still have definitions.

#11 2015-12-10 22:30:31

Tako
Website

Pingohits wrote:

fairness is an idea developed by humankind

splitting a cookie in two is considered fair, but what really is fair?

it is impossible to IMAGINE fairness, because it is merely a concept

in the cookie problem, what if the other half was to a person with a serious gluten allergy? (considering the fact the cookie is gluten and must be eaten)

would that be FAIR?

would it be fair to devour a snack where you would soon meet your untimely demise?

what we have to understand is that the idea of fairness is something we think we understand, but in reality we do not. Kind of like the brain.

Although your example is a little flawed, your conclusion is that of Plato's. In his Theory of Forms, every thing has a physical part and an "ideal" part, which is perfect. for example, there is a drawing of a circle and a perfect circle. It is impossible to grasp the ideal form.

But when considering if life is fair, do we need to use the ideal form of fairness, or is it arbitrary?

#12 2015-12-10 22:31:07, last edited by Zoey2070 (2016-11-27 04:22:22)

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

according to people life isn't fair

but how can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real? ie, can fairness exist, in an objective way?
so i'm still gonna say no

life is the worst RNG please nerf

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by:

#13 2015-12-10 22:34:18

Anak

Tako wrote:
Anak wrote:

Things lie that can't really be objectively defined in such a way.

That didn't stop Plato from definitng "justice", or Aristotle from defining "happiness". Life is just as concrete as either of those, yet they still have definitions.

Things like justice are human concepts though. Life can't be measured on how just or fair it is, because it's, well, life. You can tell how happy someone is, or how just a law is, but you can't say how fair life is, because it's a subjective view which life can't take.

#14 2015-12-10 22:34:49, last edited by Tako (2015-12-10 22:42:49)

Tako
Website

Anak wrote:

but you can't say how fair life is, because it's a subjective view which life can't take.

Zoey2070 wrote:

but how can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real? ie, can fairness exist, in an objective way?

What's wrong with this objective definition:
Fairness is doing what you are supposed to do according to absolute morals, i.e., that which is forever true.

Life therefore is fair because it obeys the laws of nature, which are always true (materialist perspective) or life is neither because life is comprised of humans which are the opposite of "absolutely moral".

#15 2015-12-10 22:41:18

Anak

Tako wrote:
Anak wrote:

but you can't say how fair life is, because it's a subjective view which life can't take.

Zoey2070 wrote:

What's wrong with this objective definition:
Fairness is doing what you are supposed to do according to absolute morals.

(Those morals are the impossible to know (see prev. post) so that would imply life isn't fair because humans aren't fair.)

I've established that life =/= human civilisation and society
Assuming we're talking about life, you can't apply morals to it
Assuming we're talking about humanity, you can apply morals to it

#16 2015-12-10 22:45:16, last edited by Tako (2015-12-10 22:45:42)

Tako
Website

Anak wrote:

I've established that life =/= human civilisation and society
Assuming we're talking about life, you can't apply morals to it
Assuming we're talking about humanity, you can apply morals to it

For sake of argument, assume the most immediate definition, that is, life as you experience it (humanity, events, nature) and not the abstract version.

#17 2015-12-10 23:12:45

XxAtillaxX

Life itself is predetermined to a degree with the exception of quantum fluctuations on an atomic scale.
So, rather than 'answering' this philosophically it'd be more worthwhile to pose the question of free will in physical reality.

You can fairly accurately predict human nature, we are effectively complex machines that are easily misguided.
I'd highly suggest reading about the Cogito Model and criticism of it. (https://url.atil.la/unosh)

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#18 2015-12-11 03:30:42

Onjit
Website

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE
EVERYTHING REQUIRES CONTEXT
EVERYTHING IS MEANINGLESS

:.|:;

#19 2015-12-11 07:35:56

Tako
Website

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Life itself is predetermined to a degree with the exception of quantum fluctuations on an atomic scale.
So, rather than 'answering' this philosophically it'd be more worthwhile to pose the question of free will in physical reality.

You can fairly accurately predict human nature, we are effectively complex machines that are easily misguided.
I'd highly suggest reading about the Cogito Model and criticism of it. (https://url.atil.la/unosh)

Don't worry, I've tended toward materialistic perspectives of life for most of mine, but I'm humoring the idea that we have free will for my mental sanity as well as for interesting and practical conversation.

#20 2015-12-11 07:38:13, last edited by Tako (2015-12-11 07:38:26)

Tako
Website

Onjit wrote:
EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE
EVERYTHING REQUIRES CONTEXT
EVERYTHING IS MEANINGLESS

1) umad?
2) When something is subjective, it is not your duty to say "IMPOSSIBLE", but to find an objective meaning behind it. As I said earlier, if we thought that way, then very few advancements would have been made in the field of philosophy (ethics, logic, metaphysics, etc)
3) Signature paradoxically relevant (again)

#21 2015-12-11 07:42:18

Onjit
Website

I made that post

I R O N I C A L L Y

because these sorts of questions all devolve into a philisophy 101 circlejerk

:.|:;

Wooted by: (2)

#22 2015-12-11 13:33:19, last edited by Zumza (2015-12-11 13:35:04)

Zumza

An abstract question demands an abstract answer.

You make life by your rules.
Depending on that it can be fair or unfair.

I think this statement is correct from any part of view.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#23 2015-12-11 15:19:09, last edited by Pyromaniac (2015-12-11 15:29:25)

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

XxAtillaxX wrote:

oooooooooooooooomg I rolled my eyes so hard when I read this that I fell out of my chair.

That being said, I'm with Onjit. These threads eventually end up with people parroting the same basic ideas over and over, using words that nobody would ever actually use in everyday conversation.

That being said x2- No. I dont think it is. You guys are talking about whether or not life SHOULD be fair in some perfect world governed by high minded theories and ideas. Just look around at the REAL world right now. Life clearly isn't fair, and as far as I can tell theres not really any rhyme or reason as to why terrible things happen to certain people, while others are amassing billions.

#24 2015-12-11 15:35:05

Zumza

Equality was always demanded by common people. But vain is also in human kind behaviour.
Complaining without a solution is worthless.

Monarchy isn't good; Communism isn't good; Democracy isn't good;
What should we invent now?

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#25 2015-12-11 15:40:57

Pyromaniac
Official Caroler

Zumza wrote:

Complaining without a solution is worthless.

Let's be honest. What kind of solution is going to be reached here? If you're really that concerned, go do something substantial like volunteering at a soup kitchen or working with organizations such as habitat for humanity and try to make life a little more fair in ways that actually help.

Wooted by:
Luka5041449904996565829

Board footer