Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-25 19:58:36

Badoosh
EE Homeboy
Website

[Guide] An Easy Way to Distinguish Action Items From Decorations

What is an action item? How do they look?

Action items influence players greatly, so it is very important to be able to distinguish them quickly from decorations. This is why action items are very symbolic, and decorations are realistic.

Keys.png
The keys here are flat, minimal shading, and have dark outlines.
B228.png
The umbrella has more shading, is grounded, and has no outline.

This is the general rule, but it's never actually been followed closely.

B100.gif
B242_Up.gif
Good news is there's another rule: Action items are animated. This allows them to attract the user's attention as well as look awesome.

Along came the climbable ladders...

B120.png
B118.png
Bad news: they aren't symbolic like the keys.
Good news: They have a black outline! So here are the rules now:
Action items have black outlines or are animated.

Let's see how the decorations are doing...

B335.png
B334.png
What? No. You're not supposed to have black outlines.
Okay... action items are animated, or... outlined like some decorations. Got it.

Back to action items.

B300.gif
This action item... wait... no. You're a decoration. Why are you animated? You guys are ruining this topic. Stop.
To recap: Action items are animated and outlined, like some decorations are.

This is getting complicated...

B385.png
Wait where's your outline? You aren't even symbolic. In fact, you look just like a decoration!
New rule: Action items look like decorations.

Could this get any worse?

B369.png
Great. Swamp water. You've done it. I give up.

So here's the official way to distinguish action items:

Action items look like decorations. They can also look like backgrounds.

#2 2015-09-25 20:01:47

RavaTroll

Re: [Guide] An Easy Way to Distinguish Action Items From Decorations

My TV is broken, I can't turn it on anymore, what should I do ?

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2015-09-25 20:06:52

Schlog

RavaTroll wrote:

My TV is broken, I can't turn it on anymore, what should I do ?

try turning it off first

#4 2015-09-25 20:09:39

RavaTroll

Thanks

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

Wooted by:

#5 2015-09-25 20:36:30

some woman

Badoosh wrote:

B300.gif
This action item... wait... no. You're a decoration. Why are you animated? You guys are ruining this topic. Stop.
To recap: Action items are animated and outlined, like some decorations are.

did you seriously just expect it to stay in place? they're supposed to be waves.

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

#6 2015-09-25 20:38:57

Creature

What about giving new users free BC for one week so they learn about each block?

This is a false statement.

Wooted by:

#7 2015-09-25 20:40:12

Anak

Creature wrote:

What about giving new users free BC for one week so they learn about each block?

That would be interesting.
I suppose an alternative would be just an ingame guide to each block.
That would certainly be interesting though.

#8 2015-09-25 20:47:27

Pingohits
Banned

Anak wrote:
Creature wrote:

ya but here's the problem

-new player loses unlimited blocks privilege and thinks the game is freemium
-older players complain it is unfair for new players to have this privilege, when they had to struggle to get each block

791mAP8.png

Wooted by: (4)

#9 2015-09-25 20:59:24

Schlog

Pingohits wrote:
Anak wrote:
Creature wrote:

ya but here's the problem

-new player loses unlimited blocks privilege and thinks the game is freemium
-older players complain it is unfair for new players to have this privilege, when they had to struggle to get each block

Not to mention you could also register new accounts for free BC, making you have every block forever.

#10 2015-09-25 21:39:43, last edited by Badoosh (2015-09-26 00:23:01)

Badoosh
EE Homeboy
Website

some man wrote:
Badoosh wrote:

B300.gif

did you seriously just expect it to stay in place? they're supposed to be waves.

Nope, but it's showing how decorations take on the features of action items, making them indistinguishable. Animated decorations alone do not cause this, but it is the combination of everything I wrote in my post that has caused the problem. So if all of it were to be fixed except some decorations were still animated, it'd be perfectly fine.

Creature wrote:

Well, this is less about learning about the blocks' functions. Rather, it is about consistency in the game's graphics, which the lack thereof currently makes the game confusing. I was going to make another topic about blocks, backgrounds, and smileys, but this one is the most important issue.

#11 2015-09-25 23:58:54

Evilbunny

Is this actually a problem people have?
It's not that difficult

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#12 2015-09-26 00:04:44

I don't see any problem with this. You won't pay much attention to the actual artystyle of the ingame stuff once you've played the game for a bit.

#13 2015-09-26 00:11:04

Different55
Forum Admin

Evilbunny wrote:

Is this actually a problem people have?
It's not that difficult

It's not a problem it's just a recipe for confusion in new users. There's no intuitive easy way to tell the difference between blocks that actually do something and things that are nothing but eye-candy. It adds a kind of unnecessary learning curve to EE and we have a hard enough time picking up new users.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#14 2015-09-26 00:26:38

Hexagon

How about this: if an item changes your player physics or makes a sound, then it's an action item. Signs are an exception.

#15 2015-09-26 00:50:33

some woman

also the op basically implies that the players are morons who forget everything after 5 minutes, never play the tutorial, and aren't able to identify different blocks or remember their purpose. meaning that if there isn't a way to instantly tell the difference between certain blocks, they will eventually ragequit the game after struggling for half an hour to find the goto lobby button

Wooted by: (4)

#16 2015-09-26 01:09:55, last edited by Badoosh (2015-09-26 01:14:16)

Badoosh
EE Homeboy
Website

Hexagon wrote:

How about this: if an item changes your player physics or makes a sound, then it's an action item. Signs are an exception.

I don't think you got the message of my post. This has nothing to do with individual noise/function, but on look alone. This is about seeing differences at a glance. Why should a game this complex not have any standard for how an action item looks? There is no unity, only chaos. And being afraid that monster teeth or other cosmetic decorations are going to cause your smiley to explode is a big problem.

some man wrote:

also the op basically implies that the players are morons who forget everything after 5 minutes, never play the tutorial, and aren't able to identify different blocks or remember their purpose. meaning that if there isn't a way to instantly tell the difference between certain blocks, they will eventually ragequit the game after struggling for half an hour to find the goto lobby button

I never implied that. "There is no easy way to distinguish action items from sight in this game" =/= players are idiots. It's not about remembering action items. I could tell someone to memorize 20 unrelated objects and they could do it. But it's not as easy to learn if they aren't unified.

The best way to make sure something isn't confusing is to make it consistent and foolproof, not chaotic and contradictory.

badoosh wrote:

Action items look like decorations. They can also look like backgrounds.

How is this not a problem? It's only going to get worse the longer it is put off.

Wooted by:

Nou

#17 2015-09-26 01:13:13

Anak

Badoosh wrote:
Hexagon wrote:

I don't think you got the message of my post. This has nothing to do with individual noise/function, but on look alone. This is about seeing differences at a glance. Why should a game this complex not have any standard for how an action item looks? There is no unity, only chaos. And being afraid that monster teeth or other cosmetic decorations are going to cause your smiley to explode is a big problem.

some man wrote:

I never implied that. "There is no easy way to distinguish action items from sight in this game" =/= players are idiots. It's not about remembering action items. I could tell someone to memorize 20 unrelated objects and they could do it. But it's not as easy to learn if they aren't unified.

The best way to make sure something isn't confusing is to make it consistent and foolproof, not chaotic and contradictory.

There doesn't need to be a standard for every single block in the way that it acts. I think it's fine. Plus, it's just a game. If it's too confusing then players can check the wiki or ask for help

#18 2015-09-26 01:33:23

some woman

Badoosh wrote:
some man wrote:

it's easier if you go through a fun little flash game describing what they are, what they're used for, and requiring for you to use them in order to process through said game
which is basically the 3 tutorial worlds

#19 2015-09-26 02:15:53

iPwner
Website

some man wrote:

Yeah sorry but i have to agree with Byll on this... honestly if the individual can't distinguish blocks by 1-time trial and error I would be surprised as to how they even got to the point of operating a computer o-o, let alone getting out of their mother's birth canal !

ssAARASAAAAAAAAA  iAAAAAAAAAAAAA OU yaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YAAAaa YAAaah; yaayaayaa, yayayaya-ya-ya YAAA YAAAYA; YAYAYA YAAHAYAhAAAAAAAAAA 

EPIOOOOOUUUUUUuuuuuu   IUO0O0oooooooooooppi

;3 0>o ~X_x~ <~(^V^)~> (); ;B ;~; *~<:',',',',',{ Q=(*@`)Q

Im A ®a®ity ®

Wooted by:

#20 2015-09-26 02:51:16

shadowda

i thought this was more of a joke thread. but  all the comments are serious. except for the tv ones.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

Wooted by:

#21 2015-09-26 05:09:51

!nb4
Formerly AYB

shadowda wrote:

i thought this was more of a joke thread. but  all the comments are serious. except for the tv ones.

I totally agree. Otherwise you do make a point BADOOSH

ZCK0zcQ.gif

#22 2015-09-26 13:57:33

Tamashiimizu

From the moment when Invisible Blocks were created, the difference between solid block and background collapsed. So, I don't think it's a problem if there's no visual difference from Action blocks to Decorations.
Actually, I think that the similarity its quite good, since this blend can create good aesthetic in the same way Secret and Special blocks, along with invisible portal have created good aesthetic and gameplay in discrete ways.

Wooted by:
Tamashiimizu1443272253544092

Board footer