Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-10 07:42:22, last edited by BEE (2015-07-10 07:42:43)

BEE

Portals on Minimap

Is there a reason that portals show up on the minimap?

This makes as much sense to me as when the spawnpoint showed up on the minimap.

I can see it being used to color back in 2011, but with the pastel BGs, its essentially worthless colorwise.

Are there any worlds that would be irreparably broken if they stopped showing up on the minimap? (I don't see how though, since they could just put the light blue pastel bg behind it). For me personally, it's only ever gotten in the way.

Thoughts?

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

Wooted by: (8)

#2 2015-07-10 07:59:20

RayOfLight

Re: Portals on Minimap

Maybe backgrounds can have precedence over portals on the minimap. So if it's just a portal without a background behind it, the portal would show up. Otherwise, the background would. Old art built around portals would stay the same, but new art can bypass the portals that way, while still allowing them to be visible in-game.

rip enrique
i have the most great worlds on ee
udeet9h.png
http://eeforums.cf/viewtopic.php?id=28212 <- go here
master1 is a musician of the instrument tuba
"but it turns out humans of this age were less advanced than i thought" -glenn
"why does lava slowly kill u and fire instantly kill u on ee? on my home planet its the other way around" -glenn

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2015-07-10 08:01:36

Kirby

Maybe the arrow pointing the direction of the portal should be invisible, so you can see the BG behind it?

#4 2015-07-10 08:10:07

BEE

Kirby, I'm confused by your post, because I'm talking about on the minimap, not ingame.

#5 2015-07-10 08:53:30

Kirby

BEE wrote:

Kirby, I'm confused by your post, because I'm talking about on the minimap, not ingame.

I know, but if you have a bunch of portals next to each other, and you have a BG wrong on the minimap, it's a hassle to delete all the portals to find which BG is wrong

This would probably be somewhat of a problem if portals were invis

#6 2015-07-10 10:17:13

Xfrogman43

Kirby wrote:
BEE wrote:

I know, but if you have a bunch of portals next to each other, and you have a BG wrong on the minimap, it's a hassle to delete all the portals to find which BG is wrong

For invis portals, you can ungod so you don't see them.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#7 2015-07-10 16:28:26

Kirby

Xfrogman43 wrote:
Kirby wrote:
BEE wrote:

For invis portals, you can ungod so you don't see them.

But we are talking about regular portals being invisible on minimap

#8 2015-07-15 21:04:13

oranj
EE Homegirl
Website

Same with coin doors tbh, ruins a nice minimap

f0872edc17bb4a21a24c813c41c4f8b8.png
An orange made of Oranjes

#9 2015-07-15 23:48:04

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

I disagree with this, some people including me wants to see them at minimap, to for example know where coin doors are.

gLjTZE1.png

#10 2015-07-16 00:28:37

Kirby

I think the only reason that this hasn't happened is because you can't see the BG behind it. On spawns you can, so it's a bit easier, but you'd have to erase the portals to see the BG's behind.

#11 2015-07-16 18:38:31

skullz17

But that's the same with a few blocks, so why not portals?

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

#12 2015-07-16 18:55:42, last edited by Badoosh (2015-07-16 18:59:30)

Badoosh
EE Homeboy
Website

skullz17 wrote:

The blocks and one ways were never meant to be invisible (except secrets ofc) but mrshoe was (once again) a lazy turd who didn't care. If mrshoe did something, it's better to not take precedent on his decisions, but fix them because most of them are really bad.
   Think about it... why are some blocks invisible? Well, they have a few pixels missing from the edges to give shape, but so did the candy pack, and that has color. Same goes with the one ways mrshoe added. He failed miserably to ensure his blocks were implemented well in the minimap (we can see this with the many similar minimap colors he added too).
   Once again, I'm going to say that these random blocks that are missing colors need to be recolored on the minimap, because the lack of consistency is one of the ways his updates have damaged the game. Will it break levels? Perhaps. But some minor minimap changes to some levels is better than a broken game.

So to answer to portals on minimap: Keep them. Like Zelda said, it helps players understand where they are in a level, which should always come before art, though art is really important too. (This is really an issue with the blocks stated above).

#13 2015-07-16 19:01:35

Kirby

Badoosh wrote:
skullz17 wrote:

The blocks and one ways were never meant to be invisible (except secrets ofc) but mrshoe was (once again) a lazy turd who didn't care. If mrshoe did something, it's better to not take precedent on his decisions, but fix them because most of them are really bad.
   Think about it... why are some blocks invisible? Well, they have a few pixels missing from the edges to give shape, but so did the candy pack, and that has color. Same goes with the one ways mrshoe added. He failed miserably to ensure his blocks were implemented well in the minimap (we can see this with the many similar minimap colors he added too).
   Once again, I'm going to say that these random blocks that are missing colors need to be recolored on the minimap, because the lack of consistency is one of the ways his updates have damaged the game. Will it break levels? Perhaps. But some minor minimap changes to some levels is better than a broken game.

So to answer to portals on minimap: Keep them. Like Zelda said, it helps players understand where they are in a level, which should always come before art, though art is really important too. (This is really an issue with the blocks stated above).

It will break many many many levels

I have seen entire art maps covered head to toe with the gray face block

I think what's broken should remain broken, but the mod's shouldn't make the same mistake again.

Wooted by:

#14 2015-07-17 04:13:17

BEE

Kirby wrote:

I think what's broken should remain broken, but the mod's shouldn't make the same mistake again.

This is actually an interesting topic that I'm tempted to post another tread about so as to not derail this one.

As for the portals, I see why people would want them on the minimap, but ... do people actually use the minimap to play? Maybe its because I don't really play the game, but I rarely use the minimap when playing at all, and only use it when drawing or creating.

The exception to this was that terrible lost woods level... evil... the minimap didn't help though.

#15 2015-07-17 04:15:12

Kirby

BEE wrote:
Kirby wrote:

This is actually an interesting topic that I'm tempted to post another tread about so as to not derail this one.

As for the portals, I see why people would want them on the minimap, but ... do people actually use the minimap to play? Maybe its because I don't really play the game, but I rarely use the minimap when playing at all, and only use it when drawing or creating.

The exception to this was that terrible lost woods level... evil... the minimap didn't help though.

I use it for megaman dash, but I usually don't. Of course, there are exceptions.

#16 2015-07-17 18:18:17

Ben

Agreed.

Same goes for all the one way blocks.. Some are invisible but others have different shades and this inconsistency is bothering me.

#17 2015-07-17 20:04:51

skullz17

Having a normal block which is not a one way and does not have any special properties, but is invisible on the minimap, is important for some levels. People have made use of this on many many occasions. I know that those jungle face blocks, and those industrial blocks are like this. I have seen these used in a lot of levels, including my own, which would get messed up if these were recoloured.

You could try to recolour one, and replace the recoloured one in levels with the other one. However, these blocks also have an in-game feel. Therefore I think it's important we have both so that levels can keep their intended atmosphere. Furthermore, even if you disregard existing levels that might be broken, it's still nice to have both blocks to create an in-game feel without having them show on the minimap. Some times you might want them as a decoration, except they're solid blocks.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

Ben

skullz171437159891522395

Board footer