Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-22 11:29:39

den3107

[IDEA] bot showing minis

So a while ago somebody came with the idea of saying a command like !help.
Upon saying that a bot would appear in the mini and show the player how to solve the mini.
(couldn't find the post so can't give any credits here, just that it's not my idea).

Now obviously making a bot simulate graphics through movement is terribly hard... But I thought of a way!

Now to make things clear, I'm not going to make it (at least not anytime soon) since I already got a project, but others could use this method to make the bot for their room.

So how the bot would show the player how to do the mini:
First, you let a player do the mini.
While that player is doing the mini, a bot would track all his "m" messages and through a stopwatch would measure the time in between each "m" message.
Safe the exact movements and all the times in between, and all you have to do is make a bot do those exact movements with those exact times inbetween.
Voila, you got yourself a bot showing you how to do a mini.

The concept might be a bit flawed, but it's open for discussion obviously.

Wooted by:

#2 2015-06-22 12:06:25, last edited by Zumza (2015-06-22 12:07:23)

Zumza

Re: [IDEA] bot showing minis

This might not be possible hard for minis that include any type of gates or doors.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#3 2015-06-22 14:04:50

den3107

Zumza wrote:

This might not be possible hard for minis that include any type of gates or doors.

You'd have to also keep track of those events then, not sure if a bot can work with purple switches though...

#4 2015-06-22 18:14:10, last edited by Tomahawk (2015-06-22 18:15:46)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

xD I actually tried exactly this a while ago.

In short, it was a failure; the packets and times between them recorded fine, but the problem came when the received movements were played back through the bot.
Imagine a very laggy player, and you'll get a fair approximation of what it looked like. The bot would jump on a block, keep moving and fall, only to glitch back up when it jumped again.

If you assume it's possible to record and replay "m" packets accurately, that may not be enough data to mimic a player's movement.
Alternatively, the time taken for the client to process packets and for the bot's event handler to receive them may vary, resulting in random timing errors which mimic bad lag and make it difficult to reproduce movement.

On the other hand, a stalkbot mimics a player's movement pretty well. Maybe I derped.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#5 2015-06-22 22:38:05

eeisold

Could try getting an average of all players who win the mini. This way any outlying lag numbers would get cleaned out.
Okay, so maybe purple gates are one exception. You don't see them everywhere... not to mention the occasions where the client actually glitches out because folks have coins/gates or whatever.
if your connection just plain sucks, though... and you always look like you're a hacker to the other folks, then your bot won't come across well.

#6 2015-06-24 16:19:49

DarkDragon4900

Tomahawk wrote:

On the other hand, a stalkbot mimics a player's movement pretty well. Maybe I derped.

Not really.
I could still see the bot moving to the right when I stop moving.
It only stops moving and teleports to where I stopped round half a sec later.

#7 2015-06-25 00:20:52

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

I was planning on doing this, except its like EELB. You "Copy Movements" and save them to a text file, and read them later.
Thanks for saving me the time that it would be a waste.;)

#8 2015-06-25 17:03:04

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

I was planning on doing this, except its like EELB. You "Copy Movements" and save them to a text file, and read them later.

Well don't assume my word is truth; I may have failed to record/playback properly.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#9 2015-06-26 15:58:23

den3107

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

That's exactly what I said it'd do. Apart that the maker of the bot would be free to choose how to save it (as he/she obviously is).

#10 2015-06-26 17:56:06

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

Tomahawk wrote:
ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

Well don't assume my word is truth; I may have failed to record/playback properly.

Well I see reasoning in all of the posts, even when the bot stalks me, it usually goes a little too far, e.t.c, so that does pretty much is good for me. I'm happy with it https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/8/87/055_purple_ghost

SirJosh39171435337766516250

Board footer