Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-16 23:22:08

den3107

[Question] Best way to publicly mass-test your bot

Alright, making one thing clear, with mass I don't mean throwing the bot in every single room.
With mass I mean I need many players (around 20 preferably).

So yeah, I'm working on a gamemode (see signature for more information), it's not yet really ready for mass-testing yet, but obviously it will be eventually and I just want to ask this up on front so there's enough time for plenty of ideas to pop up.

Anyways:
The gamemode will need testing, what's the best way to get many people in my room to help me test?
Preferably I want them to actually know they're testing something, so that bugs will occur and that they'll have to wait now and then when I'm working on a fix.

Creating a couple accounts for bombing is a possibility, but many players won't understand they're testing something and will quit when the bot get stuck even a second.

But I wouldn't know how to properly announce a public testing on the forums, as my gamemode doesn't have much publicity currently and probably won't have until it's finished (and then still it's a matter of hope people are interested and see it).

I think that's enough information.
Suggestions are much appreciated.
Tips about publicity in general are also appreciated.

P.S. About publicity:

#2 2015-06-16 23:39:36

Xfrogman43

Re: [Question] Best way to publicly mass-test your bot

You can put
Bot Test - Need Help
In your world title  then wait.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#3 2015-06-17 00:00:50

lrussell
Website

You could just specifically name the level "Bot Testing - May Crash". If players leave because of that, they're players not worth having.

Wooted by:

Era

#4 2015-06-17 00:26:56

den3107

I know that players usually go haywire when they see the word bot in the roomname and enter the very instant they see it, yet still I'm not certain I'd get enough players quick enough (since if the players have to wait too long due to insufficient players they'll just leave).

Would in this case a bomb bot be the solution to get up to the top of the list so people see the world?

And make a couple minigames for them to enjoy while they wait?

P.S. Thanks for the quick replies.

P.P.S. The bot is actually progressing much quicker than I had expected, so probably will be done by tomorrow or the day after, it'll be in it's baby stage though, but one gamemode should be playable (but probably buggy).

#5 2015-06-17 03:17:41

lrussell
Website

I believe EE needs another category for newly opened levels, allowing them to be shown on top. That way those levels can get more attention quicker.

Wooted by:

#7 2015-06-17 09:11:44

DarkDragon4900

Adding a [WIP] tag to the level name is enough for me (and for any other mature player, I assume).
And if anyone asks why the bot isn't working/complains about how buggy it is, other players would tell him to read the title.
So a [WIP] tag should do it.

Well, atleast that's how captain9 did it. (and he's had lots of players in - chatting while he works on the bot)

Wooted by:

#8 2015-06-17 12:53:44

den3107

lrussell wrote:

I believe EE needs another category for newly opened levels, allowing them to be shown on top. That way those levels can get more attention quicker.

Not certain that category would be used much.
Players want popular worlds cus they hav to bee gud cus they populr.
Only reason they'd check newly opened rooms would be for rooms they want to get opened, like their favorite rooms or Shift or something, but I think they'll just use the search function for that.

eeisold wrote:

while (true)
>proceeds to make a small world
end while

Not many people would care really, if that category would be spammed by spamworlds, then they just wouldn't goto that category.

DarkDragon4900 wrote:

Adding a [WIP] tag to the level name is enough for me (and for any other mature player, I assume).
And if anyone asks why the bot isn't working/complains about how buggy it is, other players would tell him to read the title.
So a [WIP] tag should do it.

Well, atleast that's how captain9 did it. (and he's had lots of players in - chatting while he works on the bot)

A WIP tag indeed would attract mature players more (since it's an acronym, which is fancy and mature, and all mature players like fancy and mature).
The problem is that those mature players aren't always online with many at the same time, and not all 'non-mature' players know what WIP means and get either scared away or get curious (should know if you can consider that 50/50).

P.S. I do appreciate all your ideas, just being critical, probably going to use a combination of all.

Wooted by:

#9 2015-06-21 21:09:24

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

Well if you need bombing accounts, ninjabot is for you... It does have 40 hand-made bomb accounts... (download is in my signature)
Yea, I might help test it... but then again, don't count on me helping you test it.

#10 2015-06-22 04:13:38

Formerly alkazam1448
Website

When I'm testing my 1448 Bot I go into a 25x25 which I named "Totally rekt bot" //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#11 2015-06-22 09:49:52, last edited by den3107 (2015-06-22 09:52:37)

den3107

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

Well if you need bombing accounts, ninjabot is for you... It does have 40 hand-made bomb accounts... (download is in my signature)
Yea, I might help test it... but then again, don't count on me helping you test it.

No thanks, prefer to make it myself, which I already have. Small one though, so it's not as much abuse.

alkazam1448 wrote:

When I'm testing my 1448 Bot I go into a 25x25 which I named "Totally rekt bot" //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

It's a bot-assisted game like shift, so I'm stuck to a certain room.
Besides, I don't want to lie about what the players find inside as this would only give bad publicity and will get me to lose my testers.

den31071434962992515199

Board footer