Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Not even "original" levels are really original anymore.

Hello all. You probably clicked on my topic thinking, "SUPA NOOB WAT."

That's how you all think, right?

Well, I'm here to explain.

The levels that seem to be considered "original" nowadays are "adventure" levels. You know, the ones with the art and the minis. The thing is, these levels aren't really original anymore. Make a piece of art, usually a landscape, then stick some minis in there. This formula for level-building has been tired out.

In fact, almost all "good" levels follow this exact formula: art then minis. In these levels, the only original thing about them is the art. The art differs between each level, but these levels lack originality gameplay-wise. While the minis blend in with the shape of the art, they rarely ever follow the theme of the art.

For instance, a level that takes place in the ocean doesn't necessarily feel like you're in the ocean. The minis are shaped like the ocean, sure, but they don't feel like the ocean. In this case, the minis should follow the theme of swaying back and forth in a rocking motion.

I guess that's my main problem with levels. They all feel the same. Sure, they look pretty on the minimap, but unless I'm constantly looking at the minimap, I have no idea what the level theme is. (Actually, I'm tired of the whole art thing all together, but I won't get into that whole deal so as to not offend any artists.)

For this reason, I love levels such as EL's Minimap Puzzle and MIHB's Tricolor. These maps feature completely original concepts that challenge players in new ways.

So I'm taking a break from EE. There are no levels that are fun for me to play anymore. I'll probably still stick around the forums, but I won't be posting as much. But I'm done making and playing levels. School's starting soon, too, and I'll be pretty busy then anyway.

However, I have to say, I have never played an online game as long as I have played EE. Most console games I don't play for this long. Major kudos to Chris for creating such an addicting game. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Last edited by Supadorf24 (Aug 12 2011 7:35:39 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

moundsy

Re: Not even "original" levels are really original anymore.

wow aren't you over exagerating much? i mean i get your point but seriosly there is no reason to start saying stuff

without copied levels there would be only like 100 original levels and eventually they get boring its for this reason ppl use this formula because they dont want to spend 5 weeks into a room with all the corresponding minis and art. trust me its exhausting. if you really feel like this why dont you just make your own level that matches what you want. thats why you can get maps so you can create what YOU feel like not THEM.

#3 Before February 2015

supadorf24

@moundsy I do make my own levels as I see fit. But I also enjoy playing others' levels. Many actors don't like watching their own movies. I feel the same way about playing my own maps. I'm just posting my thoughts as to the lack of original concepts out there. I have nothing against adventure levels; I just feel there are too many that are all very similar.

#4 Before February 2015

moundsy

i know i know what you mean but the fact is most players make ee by creating levels better players made already like cyph1e's snake or shift now ppl copy it and ppl like those and adventure levels might eventually become better ppl are just waiting for a strong and bold enough person to actually make levels like this and make it feel more like reality so then they have somebody to imitate because most noobs a.k.a. newbies copy since they want to be popular thats how alot of rooms get plays when a pre-made room leaves the lobby

#5 Before February 2015

SmileyZ

I think the best are those EEDD style levels, just good minis. Thats why I started to make them //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#6 Before February 2015

moundsy

i agree with that

#7 Before February 2015

catking00

one reason there arent anymore original levels is cuz chris doesnt add much more NEW blocks. no more stuff like timed doors, only blocks with new COLORS. those arent new for gameplay, so much as art.

#8 Before February 2015

moundsy

yeah ikr

#9 Before February 2015

catking00

If you added stubby's crown doors, coin gates, and timed doors, there would be so many more minigames. for ex. a co-op map. one player gets crown, goes on crown gate, another player gets crown, first player quickly goes to crown door, 2nd player to crown gate, repeat. or a crown afk. somebody gets crown, goes to crown gate, afk'er gets crown, etc.

#10 Before February 2015

Buzzerbee
Forum Admin

Thought you were better than this, supa. I can't say anything about the first part (about the art/minis) And I might even agree, but quitting EE?

Come on...

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#11 Before February 2015

johan

does a level have to be original to be fun? :/

#12 Before February 2015

TheGreenTroll

For me the esthetics doesn't really matter. I only care about the quality of the minis, which means that it could be really great minis in a box or combined with adventure/art.

#13 Before February 2015

EDJ

I prefer nice levels with medium mini's and great art than those levels without art.
Boring to play.

#14 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Dont leave yet, AP crew has a new type of level //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#15 Before February 2015

lillsneppe

EDJ's Minimap Puzzle? Pf. EL's Minimap Puzzle. Unless EDJ has made a new one.

Kudos to Chris for making a great game, I haven't played a browser-game for as long as I've played this, either. A great and addictive game. I won't leave like you though, I'll just swift my main-attention - and addiction - to other games and writing.

Otherwise I agree with every point you make; few maps feel new to play, and the only ones I enjoy are those where you have to use your brain, or be/can be swift. My favorite level as of late would be Blablabla Crew's Cursed Minis. Not an original level, but rare.

Have fun with school, Supa.

#16 Before February 2015

calculusguy

Never knew there was a blablabla crew. ( //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue )

#17 Before February 2015

supadorf24

catking00 wrote:

one reason there arent anymore original levels is cuz chris doesnt add much more NEW blocks. no more stuff like timed doors, only blocks with new COLORS. those arent new for gameplay, so much as art.

I honestly think EE is fine the way it is. Of course, I won't be complaining when new things get added, but I'd be perfectly fine if Chris stopped updating the game. I like working with a limited set of tools. It forces you to be creative. I haven't seen portals very creatively used yet, so there might be a new concept yet to be discovered there.

BuzzerBee wrote:

Thought you were better than this, supa. I can't say anything about the first part (about the art/minis) And I might even agree, but quitting EE?

Come on...

If a game isn't that fun for me anymore, why should I play it?

johan wrote:

does a level have to be original to be fun? :/

For me, yes. You can do the same thing well again and again, but it's still the same thing.

lillsneppe wrote:

EDJ's Minimap Puzzle? Pf. EL's Minimap Puzzle. Unless EDJ has made a new one.

Oops, I'll fix that.

lillsneppe wrote:

Kudos to Chris for making a great game, I haven't played a browser-game for as long as I've played this, either. A great and addictive game. I won't leave like you though, I'll just swift my main-attention - and addiction - to other games and writing.

Well, I'm not really leaving. I'm sticking around the forums to see if anything new happens with the game. But, like you, I'll probably focus more on other hobbies of mine (and schoolwork).

lillsneppe wrote:

Have fun with school, Supa.

Thanks, I've been looking forward to it! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#18 Before February 2015

ultrasuperdude

Man I have to agree levels are starting to get really boring.

#19 Before February 2015

Shift

If you want EE to change in order to fit an image only you can see, then why would you leave it? Show us exactly how you picture this truly original level, or stop complaining. You're being a complete hypocrite by leaving.

#20 Before February 2015

Muftwin

i agree that they arent original but the minis are different i dont agree that they arent fun

#21 Before February 2015

supadorf24

shift wrote:

If you want EE to change in order to fit an image only you can see, then why would you leave it? Show us exactly how you picture this truly original level, or stop complaining. You're being a complete hypocrite by leaving.

I'm not saying there's this one original level that has yet to be created; there could be a ton of new concepts that haven't been discovered yet. I'm taking a break from this game because no one cares to find them. All the levels I play are almost exactly the same. What's the difference between minis around an apple opposed to minis around a moon? Only the art. I feel like every level is the same but with a different backdrop.

And I never said I was leaving. Just laying off a bit while I focus my attention elsewhere.

Last edited by Supadorf24 (Aug 12 2011 9:48:34 am)

#22 Before February 2015

Shift

So you admit that you're refusing to do the very thing that you're asking of us? Nice.

Instead of complaining that we as EE players need to make another creative breakthrough, why don't you pave the way? Oh, that's right, because you don't feel like it.

#23 Before February 2015

lillsneppe

shift wrote:

How is he being a hypocrite by leaving; how is he creating adventure levels and claiming them to be original - when he is leaving?
He gave you two great examples on original levels, wouldn't that be enough, to show what he means? Does he really need to create a level for you to understand the term "original level"?

shift wrote:

So you admit that you're refusing to do the very thing that you're asking of us? Nice.

Instead of complaining that we as EE players need to make another creative breakthrough, why don't you pave the way? Oh, that's right, because you don't feel like it.

Adventure levels don't become more original because Supa here can't find EE fun anymore. Non-original levels are praised as it is; why would people create new things? Who would follow the way Supa paves? Would you start creating original maps if Supa did? I doubt it, especially since you haven't after EL's Minimap Puzzle or MIHB's TriColor.

#24 Before February 2015

Shift

lillsneppe wrote:
shift wrote:

How is he being a hypocrite by leaving; how is he creating adventure levels and claiming them to be original - when he is leaving?
He gave you two great examples on original levels, wouldn't that be enough, to show what he means? Does he really need to create a level for you to understand the term "original level"?

If he wants us to create an actual level in this image, then yes, he should have to create it himself as well.

lillsneppe wrote:
shift wrote:

Adventure levels don't become more original because Supa here can't find EE fun anymore. Non-original levels are praised as it is; why would people create new things? Who would follow the way Supa paves? Would you start creating original maps if Supa did? I doubt it, especially since you haven't after EL's Minimap Puzzle or MIHB's TriColor.

A lot of people on the forums aren't noobs that only create stairs, sorry. If a new form of level creation was founded, it would spread like wildfire- at least, among the more professional forumers. I have never seen either of those levels, and have never even heard f them before this topic, so I can easily say that, yes, if given an example, I would probably try to make my own.

#25 Before February 2015

titas

I agree with the original post, art level don't have a good "feeling".

supadorf24142388063280800

Board footer