Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-10 11:24:24, last edited by Abelysk (2015-06-10 11:27:03)

Abelysk

How much can EEArtist do? (at the current state)

Believe it or not, I am going to start learning how to shade using techniques that EEArtist uses. It might sound bogus, but EEArtist has an interesting shading style...

Anyway, I found this image and gave it a go. I especially wanted to learn how to shade clouds as shown in the image:

Bt-PemMpI6rnzC-pItZyzw6SS1_qc0Al1NcYlyfD3iqVYYNjC3Ru0wROjTt7gH9X=w300

^^ That is the original image ^^

Okay, I will put a spoiler up for the EEArtist version of that image... the results were remarkable. To people who deny that Everybody Edits does not have enough colors:

Hidden text

So at the current state, there are far more than enough colors available.

Just something interesting I'd like to show.

And yes I know EEArtist is not representative of an artist's skill, though this is simply a test and teaching for me.

Wooted by:

#2 2015-06-10 12:51:54

tak4n

Re: How much can EEArtist do? (at the current state)

EE Artist failed at the clouds and sky, there's your proof that EE does not have enough shades of blue

other than that, everything else is spot on. Have fun trying to make art similar to what EE artist does, might take a while.

signature3_zpsttrhtmyh.png

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2015-06-10 15:28:21

TiKen

The version I used in EEPainter simply takes the color the "closest" to the pixel:

min_block(sqrt((R_pixel - R_block)² + (G_pixel - G_block)² + (B_pixel - B_block)²))

I guess it's the same for EEArtist. If not, I'm really interested on how it is done.

The reason why the sky and the frame look "bad" is mainly because it's a soft gradient: the color doesn't change much. The human eye can see approx. 250 shades of gray, and a bit more in colors of the same hue. In this case There is not enough colors to describe the whole gradient and so it is reduced to a few one.

For the region where the color changes quickly, the color may be wronger than in the sky, but it will be much more difficult for the human eye to perceive it. A simple experience to see this is to take a printed page with two rectangles of a slightly different color: when they touch each other, you can easily see the difference. Now put a pen on the border between the two: you won't be able to see the difference anymore.

Human eye is more sensitive to gradient (change in hue/saturation/lightness). You might want to play with it //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#4 2015-06-10 20:24:11, last edited by Abelysk (2015-06-10 20:26:27)

Abelysk

tak4n wrote:

EE Artist failed at the clouds and sky, there's your proof that EE does not have enough shades of blue

other than that, everything else is spot on. Have fun trying to make art similar to what EE artist does, might take a while.

I'm not literally trying to copy EEArtist - more like shading similar to show EEArtist shades.

tak4n wrote:

You can dither the colors together (checkerboard shading) to get the appropriate blue gradient. Obviously EEArtist can't dither colors together.

#5 2015-06-11 00:16:45

Anch

Do you mind sharing the link? I want to see it! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#6 2015-06-11 01:25:30

Abelysk

anch159 wrote:

Do you mind sharing the link? I want to see it! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWVrYrljzrbkI

#7 2015-06-14 05:18:27

rubixguy

Here is the image with dither, using colors from before the recent major update.

T2XleHs.png

In agreement with previous comments, the sky needed significant dithering compared to the rest.

QY3OIOZ.png

#8 2015-06-14 07:00:42

Abelysk

rubixguy wrote:

Here is the image with dither, using colors from before the recent major update.

T2XleHs.png

In agreement with previous comments, the sky needed significant dithering compared to the rest.

Looks awesome.

#9 2015-06-14 07:08:34

AmdS
Website

Wow, nice!

AmdS1434262114512141

Board footer