Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-06-05 06:18:30

SPT

Re: Why is the word 'gay' in Everybody Edits is censored? Prejudice? -.-

some people use gay as an insult

Wooted by:

#27 2015-06-05 08:49:46, last edited by BuzzerBee (2015-06-05 08:52:45)

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

Honestly, screw religious beliefs if they dehumanize someone. I respect religion, but I do not respect the oppression of a lifestyle or sexuality.
People who "believe" that gay people are inferior to them are scum and therefore I do not respect their opinion whatsoever, just like you probably wouldn't respect someone who treated black people poorly.

Furthermore, many religious people also believe divorce is wrong and abortion is wrong. Society generally believes that murder is wrong. Yet you don't see "divorce", "abortion", or "murder" censored.

Calling someone "stupid" can be an insult, but that's not censored.

The word "gay" shouldn't have any negative connotations to anyone, and if it does, they are the problem. There is no reason for it to be censored.

Some people wrote:

But it can be used as an insult!

No it can't be.

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#28 2015-06-05 12:54:29

Zumza

Original definition for gay was "a happy person", in many languages.
However the noun was redefined as  a homosexual person. In my opinion, EE should not popularise the idea.
I'm sorry if I was rude, but this is not natural. Try to stop this or make it private.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#29 2015-06-05 14:22:32

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

Solution: Make a whitelist/blacklist textbox for words.

I agree with what Itsmeandersonlol said.

gLjTZE1.png

#30 2015-06-05 15:45:45

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

BuzzerBee wrote:

Furthermore, many religious people also believe divorce is wrong and abortion is wrong. Society generally believes that murder is wrong. Yet you don't see "divorce", "abortion", or "murder" censored.

Again, religion has nothing to do with it.  To my knowledge, no one on the team has ever spoke out against being gay.

ZeldaXD wrote:

I was thinking this last night //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
Could only imagine the censor evading reports we would get then...

Censors can be turned off.

Discord: jawp#5123

#31 2015-06-05 15:58:01

AmdS
Website

If I turn off the sensor (I do not know of this), I will see unpleasant words. But even so, it will be censored for other players. I think the discussion ends here, since no moderator took an attitude '-' //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral

JaWapa wrote:
BuzzerBee wrote:

Again, religion has nothing to do with it.  To my knowledge, no one on the team has ever spoke out against being gay.

ZeldaXD wrote:

I was thinking this last night //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue
Could only imagine the censor evading reports we would get then...

Censors can be turned off.

#32 2015-06-05 16:01:39

Slushie

Why do you even want to talk about your sexuality on EE, gay or not?

ok

Wooted by:

#33 2015-06-05 16:03:37

AmdS
Website

I tried to speak, but no mod took an attitude. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#34 2015-06-05 18:24:21

Anak

Here comes an opinion from another gay person (I'm not homosexual as such but whatever) :
You can't censor context. I could use gay as a definer of myself, I could use it as an insult. I also don't ever see anyone using gay as an insult anymore, (on EE at least) yet I don't see it as a definer. Since the word gay can be used in these two ways, you can't censor it. What you need to do is look at the context in which it is being used. If someone is using it to define themselves, leave it. If someone is using it as an insult, report it as a discriminative action.

If you're going to say, "Don't discuss your sexual preferences on a children's game," well, gay is often used as an umbrella term for... basically anyone who isn't straight, which is heterosexual + heteroromantic.
I personally define myself as polysexual panromantic, which means that I experience sexual attraction to multiple genders, (but not all) and I experience romantic attraction regardless of gender. I define myself as polysexual, rather than say bisexual, as I will experience sexual attraction to those outside of the gender binary, (male + female) and the same reason for panromantic. Whilst sexual attraction is, well, pretty self explanatory, I find romantic attraction to be different for me, as romantic attraction is to feel love for someone as you would your partner in a relationship, without sexual feeling.

Do you see why many people in the LGBT+ community would just call themselves gay? It's much too difficult to explain that in any conversation, especially when most of the time someone won't understand what I've just said. To censor the word gay is to exclude the ease of that. As well as that, those saying that gay is an "inappropriate word" or whatever: it's used as an umbrella term that also encompasses romantic attraction. That can't possibly be inappropriate. We shouldn't be blocking the children's ears from something which they'll probably understand and accept better than a teenager or an adult.

And even so, it's not like we're outright discussing our kinks and bedroom habits!! Calm down and grow up, it's not gross or whatever you think it is!

So: whilst I understand the intention of censoring the word gay, I don't think it to be necessary anymore. If you're going to censor it, well, if you're using it in a positive way, then the censor is pointless, and if you're not... odds are, we know what you're saying, and you shouldn't be using it like that anyways.

Wooted by: (2)

#35 2015-06-05 18:31:27

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

JaWapa, you keep saying "censors can be turned off" but you never made an argument to my post against that.

BuzzerBee wrote:

Yeah but the problem is why is it censored in the first place?
There are people who prefer to have censors turned on to avoid seeing actual swear words and profanity. It's an inconvenience to them if they don't get to see words such as "gay" as it's used in normal English. Conversely, if they turn it off just to see words like that, they have to deal with profanity that they probably do not want to see.

TdQRyz3.png

#36 2015-06-05 18:36:07

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

BuzzerBee wrote:

JaWapa, you keep saying "censors can be turned off" but you never made an argument to my post against that.

BuzzerBee wrote:

There are people who prefer to have censors turned on to avoid seeing actual swear words and profanity. It's an inconvenience to them if they don't get to see words such as "gay" as it's used in normal English. Conversely, if they turn it off just to see words like that, they have to deal with profanity that they probably do not want to see.

I really don't know what to tell them.  I don't have an answer.

#37 2015-06-05 18:42:06

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

Well, thanks for being honest at least.

TdQRyz3.png

#38 2015-06-05 19:01:36

AmdS
Website

Just remove censored gay word. Thanks. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

JaWapa wrote:
BuzzerBee wrote:

BuzzerBee wrote:

I really don't know what to tell them.  I don't have an answer.

#39 2015-06-05 20:06:53

Slushie

If you look through chat logs and search for the word "gay" being used in EE, I'm sure that the vast majority of the results will be the word being used as an insult or a joke. Actually, I very rarely see anyone ever talking about their sexualities until this topic of the censor comes up.

ok

#40 2015-06-05 20:11:11, last edited by skullz17 (2015-06-05 20:12:58)

skullz17

Maybe we should uncensor homosexual but leave gay censored. Because people do use gay as an insult, but using homosexual as an insult is less common (though they will probably use homo).

I don't think it's necessarily to do with maturity, it's just that it means different things to different people, depending on where you grew up and what kind of people you were surrounded by. Where I'm from people use gay as an insult all the time, and always have, even though most of them have nothing against homosexual people. It's hard to explain, but it doesn't only mean homosexual.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

#41 2015-06-05 20:42:09, last edited by mrjawapa (2015-06-05 20:52:39)

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

skullz17 wrote:

Maybe we should uncensor homosexual but leave gay censored. Because people do use gay as an insult, but using homosexual as an insult is less common (though they will probably use homo).

I think this might be manageable.

EDIT: of course this still needs to be discussed by the rest of the team.  They seem to be away for the day.

#42 2015-06-05 20:43:07, last edited by Mylo (2015-06-05 20:43:59)

Mylo
Master Developer

I am not sure about following: but isn't the option to turn off censoring a beta-only feature? If so, the argument it can be turned of is not valid.
Also even if it's free for everyone, how does it change the fact that the name of a sexual-orientation is censored?

It's like censoring the word 'Jew' / 'female'.
How would you guys feel if a word like 'america' would be censored? Just because some people say the 'american' people are stupid etc.

What needs to happen (easy checklist for staff):
[ ] remove all unnecessary censors
[ ] listen to reports about insults using these words in EE, and punish the idiots abusing it
[ ] make an update post :3
[ ] (make the censor optional for everyone)

EDIT: JaWapa was faster, i still think 'gay' should not be censored, because see above.

Wooted by:

#43 2015-06-05 20:46:58

Anak

JaWapa wrote:
skullz17 wrote:

I think this might be manageable.

Like Mylo I still think gay should be uncensored, but if you're all so adamant I'd settle for this. (Not preferably but if it comes to it)

Wooted by:

#44 2015-06-05 20:47:51

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Mylo wrote:

I am not sure about following: but isn't the option to turn off censoring a beta-only feature? If so, the argument it can be turned of is not valid.
Also even if it's free for everyone, how does it change the fact that the name of a sexual-orientation is censored?

Yeah it's beta only.  Still valid. We kind of made beta the age/maturity verification.

#45 2015-06-05 21:11:22

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

18BF1vQ.jpg
wtf is this polysexual panromantic autism, what went wrong with humanity? do you live next to a nuclear power station or something?

gLjTZE1.png

Wooted by: (3)

#46 2015-06-05 21:24:36

Anak

ZeldaXD wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/18BF1vQ.jpg
wtf is this polysexual panromantic autism, what went wrong with humanity? do you live next to a nuclear power station or something?

You must be the reason gay was censored as an insult, I'm assuming.

Wooted by: (4)

#47 2015-06-05 21:29:45

Badoosh
EE Homeboy
Website

It's so sad how words like gay and preteen and screw are censored because it just "isn't safe for kids" but I can can still say the darndest stuff in game (I'd say them here to explain my point but I'm not going to break the forum rules. Trust me, they're really bad).

Everyone is using the word noob as an insult, why don't you censor that to make the game safer for kids? It's not a reason, it's an excuse.

Yeah, I can turn of my censors, but why should I just close my eyes and look away when there's clearly a problem here?

Wooted by: (4)

#48 2015-06-05 21:33:45

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Badoosh wrote:

preteen and screw

Those aren't censored anymore.

Wooted by:

#49 2015-06-05 22:23:07, last edited by Mylo (2015-06-05 22:24:28)

Mylo
Master Developer

But gay really needs to be? If these can be uncensored?

Wooted by:

#50 2015-06-05 22:27:24

Panic

Anak wrote:

Here comes an opinion from another.... [Full post takes far too much space, so dropping it]

It's not that people don't understand different orientations, it's like more due to them not caring. As far as I recall, I've only ever seen these "orientations" used to create drama and name it discrimination, with the only participant being the one who started it. I'm not a biologist, but I'm pretty sure nearly all life reproduces either in pairs of asexually (alone). It would be much simpler to keep orientations as dichotomous as possible as well. Obviously there still exists discrimination against homosexuality and such, but for the most part it's fairly well accepted. Now, for those extra genders or whatever, many people, myself included, honestly just don't care enough to learn what any of the terms mean, as they sound fake and have absolutely no impact in our lives, other than the previously mentioned drama.

As for in the game, just because it's not impossible that orientations will be discussed in this game does not mean that it is probable, and therefore does not deserve equal merit in this discussion. The target audience of the game is younger players, and therefore the population is likely younger players as well. A younger person is far more likely to use the term "gay"  intended as an insult than in a discussion of orientations. Additionally, given the "children's game", discussions of orientation are hardly appropriate anyway. Therefore its context is more likely to be something that someone may find offensive, and therefore it should remain censored.

Obligatory piece of text placed here forcing you to load an extra 100 bytes of data per post I make.

Wooted by: (3)
Different551434231865512034

Board footer