Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-08 17:08:57

Formerly alkazam1448
Website

Understanding the actual mentality

I've been thinking about something lately. Are trolls really that evil as we think? Are noobs really that stupid as we think? Well, chances are, you may be right, but it is rare.

Think of yourself in a troller's place.

You will be probably thinking like:

Oh! What a nice day! Let's troll some noobs!

That is how most trollers are. Real mean. Real evil. But some trollers may have something deep inside... Like a feeling of jealously. The thought that you are an underdog there. The thought that you cannot make art like the others in the community. These are not seen outside, but these could be the reason for most trolls. How to distinguish between them? In my opinion, if the player trolls only once in a while when the owner has left, they are trying to be mean. Just trying to have some fun. If it is constant and they troll levels with good art when the owner is there, it could be these reasons.

Next, think of yourself in a noob's place.

A noob does not know anything much about the game as such. Playing the game with little knowledge can be hard, ya know... I do have experience. All of us do. We all were noobs once, right? Noobs will always look for a way to fit themselves into the community. If they are good enough, they may find it in some field. Maybe a small place, maybe big, but they did find one which they like. If they do not find anything like that. Something which makes them feel ok. They will have the feelings of jealousy. They will start to think themselves as low. They will become trollers.

Note that these are inner feelings, deep inside them. Nobody sees this behavior, but if you observe very VERY carefully, you may come to these conclusions.

So, the next time you see a troller or join an open world, give them compliments and help them. Not put them down. All humans have feelings. Even T-Bot(yeah).

Wooted by:

#2 2015-05-08 18:07:25

FDOOU
Banned

Re: Understanding the actual mentality

Jesus christ I cringed. Was there an anti-bullying presentation at elementary today?

Come find me in game!

#3 2015-05-08 18:08:46

soulrunner

FDOOU wrote:

Jesus christ I cringed. Was there an anti-bullying presentation at elementary today?

Heh, for once one of your posts made me laugh.

l141.gif

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2015-05-08 18:30:16

some woman

trollers are actually essential in teaching what kinds of worlds users are expected to make and what kinds of worlds are frowned upon
when the noob has his free edit world repeatedly trolled eventually he too will learn about this and become a more professional user

alkazam1448 wrote:

So, the next time you see a troller[...], give them compliments and help them. Not put them down. All humans have feelings. Even T-Bot(yeah).

10 years and still awkward. Keep it up, baby!

Wooted by:

#5 2015-05-08 18:34:34, last edited by Yandax (2015-05-08 18:35:27)

Yandax

FDOOU wrote:

Heh, typical Fdoou. Someone says something meaningful, nice, and true and Fdoou immediately insults them. Also, I like your topic. Very good. P.S. Fdoou is gonna call me a noob or something soon.

Pretend I didn't exist until now

All hail me, the king of insensitive jerks

Woot if you hate me

#6 2015-05-08 19:06:34

Tamashiimizu

EE isn't an utopia, there will ALWAYS be outcasts. Just like in society, you need to adapt to evolve, if you can't, you'll be ignored.

#7 2015-05-08 19:31:12

skullz17

some man wrote:

trollers are actually essential in teaching what kinds of worlds users are expected to make and what kinds of worlds are frowned upon

Not really. There is not a correlation between the quality of a world, and whether a world is trolled. It correlates with whether the world gives free edit/code or not. So, actually, it only teaches them not to give the code/edit.

Or at least, we expect it to. However, people have always trolled. But how much does the number of free code/edit worlds decrease? Not a lot, if at all. So clearly, trying to teach people something by trolling is not working. If you troll for that reason, and no other reason, you're wasting your time. I feel like the reason that most people troll is for fun anyway.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#8 2015-05-08 19:38:55

Creature

Trollers just want to have fun and fame.

This is a false statement.

#9 2015-05-08 20:12:49, last edited by Calicara (2015-05-08 20:16:25)

Calicara

I think you mixed up newb and noob. A newb is someone who is new to the game. A noob who is someone is pretentious and ignorant. Most noobs are responsible for the rise of box minis, and crappy bosses. Where as newbs are mostly responsible for open edit worlds.

Also for trolls, it's not jealously that drives us it's madness. We see through the facade of regular EE life. Normal noobs going through the motions, making horrible forgettable levels that are only driven by the want for magic and success. Why play a quality level when it's just as easy to win and find magic with a level of box minis? And so what, what does EE become when it is nothing but a mundane race to see who can have all the items first, or who can be the most pro, even though noob and pro are nothing but social constructs.

Trolls exist to spice things up, to break the monotony, and to make people feel the pain and beauty of watching their hard work get destroyed. We dare users to break from the social norms, to think, and to feel. Evil is just as subjective as good is it not? Jealously is so elementary my friend. Of course, what with you being a noob it makes sense to conjure such a rash generalization. Someday you will understand....

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

Wooted by: (4)

#10 2015-05-08 20:17:36

FDOOU
Banned

Sirzachthewarrior wrote:

Heh, typical Fdoou. Someone says something meaningful, nice, and true and Fdoou immediately insults them. Also, I like your topic. Very good. P.S. Fdoou is gonna call me a noob or something soon.

You'll get it when you're older. Until then, drink this nice kool aid that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

kool-aid.jpg

Come find me in game!

#11 2015-05-08 20:33:40

Hexagon

Trollers reduce the trusted people who world owners give their code to.

This is analogous to hackers: they continually reinforce the security of susceptible systems.

#12 2015-05-08 20:56:48

Yandax

FDOOU wrote:
Sirzachthewarrior wrote:

You'll get it when you're older. Until then, drink this nice kool aid that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7gJAucSGuPs/T … ol-aid.jpg

Now I understand! You call everyone else childish when you're really much worse!(Just Kidding)

Woot if you hate me

#13 2015-05-08 21:29:53

FDOOU
Banned

Dude if you're going to write just kidding at the end of the post, just simplify and not post, man!

Come find me in game!

Wooted by:

#14 2015-05-08 21:52:40

madiik

uhh

someone put it in short i tl;dr'd

shh i have returned

#15 2015-05-08 22:32:02

Anch

madiik wrote:

uhh

someone put it in short i tl;dr'd

We have all been 'noobs' once. Put yourself in their perspective.

#16 2015-05-08 22:41:29

Yandax

FDOOU wrote:

Dude if you're going to write just kidding at the end of the post, just simplify and not post, man!

Only true thing you've ever posted

Woot if you hate me

#17 2015-05-09 00:38:00

FDOOU
Banned

You tried

Come find me in game!

#18 2015-05-09 00:38:45

Creature

Sirzachthewarrior wrote:
FDOOU wrote:

Hey dude, don't mess with FDOOU, you will be happy.

This is a false statement.

#19 2015-05-09 18:23:09

Yandax

Creature wrote:
Sirzachthewarrior wrote:
FDOOU wrote:

Hey dude, don't mess with FDOOU, you will be happy.

Yeah, that just hit me two seconds before I read your post

Woot if you hate me

#20 2015-05-09 23:20:18

Insanity

lol rekt

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#21 2015-05-11 06:10:13

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I think accusing "trolls" as being pure "evil" and "noobs" as being pure "stupid" is rather judging itself. By you using "we", it seems you have come to the conclusion that this is what the entire community believes (as I have made that same mistake before). Rethinking my opinions on trolling, it comes difficult to be able to treat both these two fairly. I think your post has a good point, but presents it rather childishly. It hurts to see all these people wooting the posts that make fun of the original post, rather than examining the points closely (as I credit Calicara for doing, despite me disagreeing with her quite a bit).

Calicara wrote:

I think you mixed up newb and noob. A newb is someone who is new to the game. A noob who is someone is pretentious and ignorant. Most noobs are responsible for the rise of box minis, and crappy bosses. Where as newbs are mostly responsible for open edit worlds.

I thank you for bringing up an interesting point. Instead of going on a rambling of why trolling is bad, I have rethought some of my former understanding on the issue. I have rather gotten these two groups mixed up when making my "newbie discrimination" topic, which I now have mixed feelings about.

Also for trolls, it's not jealously that drives us it's madness. We see through the facade of regular EE life. Normal noobs going through the motions, making horrible forgettable levels that are only driven by the want for magic and success. Why play a quality level when it's just as easy to win and find magic with a level of box minis? And so what, what does EE become when it is nothing but a mundane race to see who can have all the items first, or who can be the most pro, even though noob and pro are nothing but social constructs.

As I just posted a few minutes ago, Everybody Edits is like a pencil: People, depending on their skill, interests, and other factors, will draw different things with it. I believe most players play the game simply to have fun, though some people like you and I choose to examine the community and the main problems. My ideal view of the game would be accepting of different player groups (besides the threateningly problematic), and supporting the best of each of them.

Trolls exist to spice things up, to break the monotony, and to make people feel the pain and beauty of watching their hard work get destroyed. We dare users to break from the social norms, to think, and to feel. Evil is just as subjective as good is it not? Jealously is so elementary my friend. Of course, what with you being a noob it makes sense to conjure such a r ash generalization. Someday you will understand....

While you do seem supportive of trolling and make lots of posts about it (I am not complaining, as I find them kind of interesting myself), you also seem to try to represent the whole troll community side, especially starting a statement with "trolls exist to[...]". I do not mean to express the idea that your opinion is meaningless, but rather, you should also consider reasoning of other trolls. Trolling, I believe, is done for two main reasons: one, for entertainment; two, to try to "filter" out levels they judge as poor enough. You seem to be a mix of number two, along with some unusual opinions on trolling. I credit you for taking your time to try to understand things and express a mature view (whether or not I believe it makes the most sense).

#22 2015-05-11 06:14:56

tak4n

Reminds me of the old stereotypes topic I made... oh the good 'ol forum days

signature3_zpsttrhtmyh.png

#23 2015-05-11 16:07:49

Calicara

@N1KF: Your post made me laugh. I've gone through it in my head over and over and there is no justifiable reason for trolling. However, if I am going to defend my point the best way to do it, I figured, would be to come up with a seemingly roundabout and intellectual argument. However, there is no reason to take me seriously. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

tgA1y17.jpg
I am obsessed with Steven Universe

#24 2015-05-11 18:34:28

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

the irony here is great

Wooted by: (2)

#25 2015-05-13 01:44:20

FDOOU
Banned

N1KF, I can hear the fedora through your posts. Time to change the hat, man. It's getting a bit """"""intellectual"""""" in here.

Come find me in game!

Board footer