Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-03 22:50:45, last edited by Hexagon (2015-05-03 23:39:56)

Hexagon

[Idea] PM's/afk message notification

I don't know if I will make this, as the EE staff might be already on it.

Would anyone want this type of feature?

1. When I am in an EE world, and I'm on Facebook or something, I want the tab of EE to periodically change to say something like "You received a message!" if I got a message, and the tab was not active, and someone said my username.

2. When I am not online, and someone says my username, I want to be notified via EE or email about it.

I'm usually a little bit too theoretical, so here's how I would do each one.

1. A user would run a Chrome Addon/Firefox addon. When the user switches away from EE, it would set a key in a Redis database on my server with an expiration date of 10 minutes. Every 5 minutes, it would re-set the expiration date so that it would not expire. It would subscribe to all events from that key in a pub/sub fashion. On the other side, all chat messages would go through a processor, which would look at the redis database to see what keys are in the table (idle users.) If one of the idle users was contained in a message, and that idle user was in the message where it was sent, the redis key would be incremented. When the key is incremented, Redis would sent an event to the client notifying them that the key updated, and so the title of the tab would change. When the user clicks on the tab, a command would be sent to delete the key.

2. A list of users would be gathered for those who would like to participate in the service. All chat messages would be scanned in real time, and daily digests would be sent if a message contained that username. Emails would be sent daily using a cron job.

#2 2015-05-03 23:45:07

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Re: [Idea] PM's/afk message notification

The message notification would be nice.  But the email would be a bit annoying.

Discord: jawp#5123

#3 2015-05-04 00:02:22

Xfrogman43

Lobby chat, with group messages and stuff :>

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#4 2015-05-04 00:13:24

lrussell
Website

I recommended lobby chat before, and it should be rather easy to implement.
Hopefully that would actually be done. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Wooted by: (3)
lrussell1430694804501113

Board footer