Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-01 01:56:53, last edited by Hexagon (2015-05-04 11:15:49)

Hexagon

[Release] Rate & Tag levels with Chrome Extension (and tutorial)

How to rate a level

Rating a level is actually a little more complicated than just clicking on a star.

When you first install the extension, you'll get an ee auth page. It's really small, and it'll appear on every page that goes to everybodyedits.com

When you go see this little box, scroll down and find the code, then click on the smiley (Facebook isn't supported yet.)

eYmIQZH.gif

Once you click on the smiley, you'll be brought to a page like this one. Enter in the code here:

nryc1ns.gif

Go back to the first page, and you'll see five stars (and your username)

FMNSXgi.png

Click on a star, and it'll send your rating to the database.

Inspired by: http://forums.everybodyedits.com/viewtopic.php?id=27679 Not sure if I should have made a new topic or not.

This level rating system is for EE Recommender. As of now, you cannot see the ratings for your own levels, and others cannot see the ratings either. It is strongly discouraged to tell others what they should rate your world. Based upon what levels you have rated upon in the past, EE Recommender will suggest worlds that you might like. It will use a hybrid rating system, finding a correlation between your previous activity in levels and suggesting an internal rating that would closely resemble what you would have given it.

Credits:
- Processor for his EE Auth
- many people from stackoverflow
- jquery.raty.js

#2 2015-05-01 02:50:10

Anch

Re: [Release] Rate & Tag levels with Chrome Extension (and tutorial)

I like it!

#3 2015-05-01 03:40:24

Freckleface

Wow, this could be kinda useful but also not. For example there could be (for example) like a chat room / editin place for friends, then when a non friend joins they will rate it down giving it a bad rating. Then the owner makes an actual level and it starts off with a bad rating. Still like the idea though. Good job!

F

#4 2015-05-02 17:09:12

Hexagon

This extension is going to launch today. If you'd like to be a tester, PM me your google account email address, and I'll add you to the private testers list. From there, you can download the Chrome Extension and try it.

#5 2015-05-02 17:22:18

kubapolish
Banned
Website

Where are support for mozilla?

#6 2015-05-02 17:30:15

capasha

Kubapolish wrote:

Yes should be supported for both Firefox and Opera.

#7 2015-05-02 17:32:41

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

> chrome
> not opera
goodbye

gLjTZE1.png

#8 2015-05-02 17:39:50

Hexagon

Kubapolish wrote:

capasha wrote:

Yes should be supported for both Firefox and Opera.

If you'd like to test, PM me your email anyway (and specify that you want the Firefox/Opera extension) and I'll tell you when I make it.

I didn't know that there was a demand for Firefox; since there is, I'll release one for Firefox!

#9 2015-05-02 18:46:34

capasha

ZeldaXD wrote:

> chrome
> not opera
goodbye

Chrome is a good browser which use sandboxing. But Opera doesn't log everything you do, like Chrome does.

#10 2015-05-02 19:09:49

ZeldaXD
EE Homeboy
Website

capasha wrote:
ZeldaXD wrote:

> chrome
> not opera
goodbye

Chrome is a good browser which use sandboxing. But Opera doesn't log everything you do, like Chrome does.

That's why I use Opera //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

gLjTZE1.png

#11 2015-05-02 20:05:15

den3107

I honestly don't mind. Got nothing to hide and gives me good suggestions in possible games, websites and tools I might like.
Saved me a lot of time in my opinion.

Plus I like the design.

Biggest downside of Chrome is that it's going to drop NPAPI support (which is used by: Silverlight - Unity - Google Earth - Java - Google Talk - Facebook Video (obviously alternatives for these things are on the way)).

#12 2015-05-02 22:58:38

den3107

Hexagon wrote:

For some reason, I'm getting a server error when downloading my own extension from the Google chrome extension website. Since there are zero installations, and zero events collected, I'm thinking that others are having problems too.

If you are having problems, let me know!

That, or you can't connect for some reason, resulting in the default value of 0.
Sign me up and I'll help beta testing, though I'm not sure I'm actively going to use the plugin apart from helping you test.

#13 2015-05-02 23:02:15

Hexagon

den3107 wrote:

That, or you can't connect for some reason, resulting in the default value of 0.

I made it partially public, which allowed me to download the extension (forgot to update it) but I still see absolutely no data whatsoever (apart from a few pageviews.)

den3107 wrote:

Sign me up and I'll help beta testing, though I'm not sure I'm actively going to use the plugin apart from helping you test.

That sounds great! Just send you a PM.

#14 2015-05-03 00:16:47, last edited by den3107 (2015-05-03 00:19:54)

den3107

Installed it and opened EE.
EE is loaded but tab keeps loading icon.
Through extensions I checked the 'background page', finding it containing basicaly only a reference to the file "contentscripts.js".
Also found and error saying the following:

Hidden text

EDIT1:
extension iframe-page-thingy is nowhere to be found.

EDIT2:
After refresh of page the loading icon changed into the EE icon again, still no iframe-page-thingy.

#15 2015-05-03 00:17:58

Hexagon

den3107 wrote:

Through extensions I checked the 'background page', finding it containing basicaly only a reference to the file "contentscripts.js".

Hidden text

I just deployed something (which causes the server to lockup for a few minutes); try to reload it and should come up. If not, let me know.

#16 2015-05-03 00:21:11, last edited by den3107 (2015-05-03 00:24:03)

den3107

Hexagon wrote:
den3107 wrote:

Hidden text

I just deployed something (which causes the server to lockup for a few minutes); try to reload it and should come up. If not, let me know.

Error remains. Still no iframe-page-thingy.

EDIT1:
From the tutorial I can see you don't have a 1980 resolution, perhaps the iframe-page-thingy (ugh, have to think of a shorter name...) is simply positioned strangely?

EDIT2:
Quick scan through HTML shows no indication of anything extra added.

#17 2015-05-03 00:26:00

Hexagon

den3107 wrote:

From the tutorial I can see you don't have a 1980 resolution, perhaps the iframe-page-thingy (ugh, have to think of a shorter name...) is simply positioned strangely?

When you see the tab loading continuously, what is in the iframe (EE Auth or the five stars?)

I was able to get the continuously loading thing to appear in my browser, but it seems that it occurred when I rated something, and when I rated something else it went away after a few seconds.

The error that you posted is referencing some code that I might not be using, but could be clogging up something. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

#18 2015-05-03 00:29:21

den3107

Hexagon wrote:
den3107 wrote:

When you see the tab loading continuously, what is in the iframe (EE Auth or the five stars?)

I was able to get the continuously loading thing to appear in my browser, but it seems that it occurred when I rated something, and when I rated something else it went away after a few seconds.

The error that you posted is referencing some code that I might not be using, but could be clogging up something. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

As I said, your iframe never shows, the continuous loading could just be a thing from the EE website too.

P.S. Off to sleep, so can't post anymore feedback till tomorrow.

#19 2015-05-03 00:35:37, last edited by Hexagon (2015-05-03 03:40:36)

Hexagon

den3107 wrote:

As I said, your iframe never shows, the continuous loading could just be a thing from the EE website too.

The iframe is placed always in the top right hand corner at the very top. I'm not getting the error that you posted unfortunately.

Whenever you're available, try going directly to http://ee-recommender.herokuapp.com/example.php (the contents of the iframe) and see if that loads.

EDIT: I was able to replicate the issue when I installed the addon from the chrome store and started it for the first time. For me it loaded for about 10 seconds, then it worked. It's possible that the server location (in the US) is very far from where you live, and it might take a while for it to load. However, if it does not load within a minute, there's something wrong and I'll have to investigate.

#20 2015-05-03 09:17:12, last edited by den3107 (2015-05-03 11:31:09)

den3107

Hexagon wrote:
den3107 wrote:

The iframe is placed always in the top right hand corner at the very top. I'm not getting the error that you posted unfortunately.

Whenever you're available, try going directly to http://ee-recommender.herokuapp.com/example.php (the contents of the iframe) and see if that loads.

EDIT: I was able to replicate the issue when I installed the addon from the chrome store and started it for the first time. For me it loaded for about 10 seconds, then it worked. It's possible that the server location (in the US) is very far from where you live, and it might take a while for it to load. However, if it does not load within a minute, there's something wrong and I'll have to investigate.

Well, I do live in the Netherlands, though usually us and nl have only a few seconds latecy, and not entire minutes.

Ps: going to check the website  bit later, currently on phone.

EDIT:
Page loads practically instantly. Generation of code takes about 3 seconds.
Still no success on actual EE website.

Perhaps an idea to try and fix a different laptop/pc, log in on a different gmail account than your own and install it there? See how it goes?

#21 2015-05-03 12:51:48, last edited by Hexagon (2015-05-03 12:52:45)

Hexagon

den3107 wrote:

Perhaps an idea to try and fix a different laptop/pc, log in on a different gmail account than your own and install it there? See how it goes?

If you're using Facebook for authentication, click on the blue "F" icon instead of the smiley.

This is what I tried to do to replicate your issue (but I failed a lot sooner in the process than you did):
- use a windows 8.1 virtual machine running inside linux on a wifi network (simulate unreliability in network)
- use a vpn to the Netherlands
- delete all cookies and cache from chrome, download addon with new gmail account

So I saw EE load (and it worked), then the iframe (the EE Recommender) took a few seconds and appeared (with EE Auth in it), however I was never able to generate a room id from EE Auth. Nothing had a loading icon at this point unfortunately. After about 30 seconds EE Auth in the iframe said something about being disconnected. I wasn't able to generate a room id by going to the direct url either.

I tried the US VPN, a VPN that was closer to me, and a super close VPN. Same errors.

However I did notice a few strange things that I didn't mention in the tutorial. When you do get the room id, and click on the smiley, then are brought to the EE Auth room, you must wait a few seconds after EE Auth Bot says the second message. Otherwise you'll get an error on the iframe in black text that will basically be invisible, even though the auth bot says that authentication was successful, and it'll load for a really long time.

#22 2015-05-03 13:22:36

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

I would suggest having the iframe slide in and out on the page (like the social media buttons).  I assume you will change it to look better later?  Possibly find a better way to sign into the app.

I decided to look into the app's source (the crx portion).  It's so light weight!  I expected miles and miles of javascript.

Discord: jawp#5123

#23 2015-05-03 13:39:34, last edited by Hexagon (2015-05-03 13:40:55)

Hexagon

JaWapa wrote:

I would suggest having the iframe slide in and out on the page (like the social media buttons).

Was just thinking about a redesign, and I think this is a really good idea (as users are already familiar with the slide in and out buttons on the left hand side with the YouTube channel and Facebook page, it would be easy for them to understand it.)

#24 2015-05-03 14:05:09

den3107

I just did saw a blocked popup! Though then I... Already... Pressed f5...
The tab has been standing open for literally hours though and I don't know when the blocked popup actually... Popped up.

PS: I use windows 7, not 8.1 c:

#25 2015-05-03 14:14:54

Hexagon

den3107 wrote:

I just did saw a blocked popup! Though then I... Already... Pressed f5...
The tab has been standing open for literally hours though and I don't know when the blocked popup actually... Popped up.

Try it again, but this time you should see a "Blocked popup" yellow box at the end of the omnibox/address bar. Click on that, then click "Allow exception for ..." then try it again. If you're using another popup blocker, instructions would vary. Let me know if that works.

Hexagon1430739768501257

Board footer