Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-04-23 01:47:41, last edited by Blindz0r (2015-04-23 04:01:23)

Blindz0r

[Guide] How to Create a Mini-Game Challenge

Overview

Coming across well organized and designed levels such as "EXPro: Forgotten Veil" and "KO Crew: Death Dominion", I have seen vast creativity in the design and overall functionality of the Mini-Game Challenges provided by the creators. New level designers might say this," What is a Mini-Game Challenge?". Well the answer is pretty simple: Mini-Game Challenges are based on concepts that are put together to test the users capability in precision, accuracy and rhythm. Which means the level creators don't use simple tactics such as hook jumps, dot paths or "arrow" jumps to entertain the user. When creating these challenges it requires a well thought out plan, and a relative concept. In this short guide I will show you step by step on how to create efficient Mini-Game Challenges.

Guide

In this guide I will be showing you a Mini-Game created by myself in my Mini-lab. It is great to have a good range of concepts that you are willing to explore and achieve in your head. I was thinking about a concept of combining speed and timing at the same time. I started off with this.

VgLQXZy.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I decided that I wanted a "Mini-Game within a Mini-Game" type of challenge so I built a basic structure of it.
Red Background being the gap to the other part of the Mini-Game and Green being the exit point.

dlWUPVR.png

After reviewing the functionality of the Mini-Game, I wanted the user to easily get to the exit after the first half of it. So i used the concept of holding your speed before you enter the exit i.e Speed Control and deleted the arrows on the top platform.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Testing the Mini-Game further, I saw that you can easily exploit the Mini by jumping on both of the platform's, so I added a revert system to the top platform and deleted a dot from the arrows that launches you from the start.

57csFIz.png?1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Revert System applied:

24wE2oi.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well here's the fun part: TESTING! After testing and testing over and over I could no longer find any true exploits. Overall, I was satisfied with the look of the Mini-Game Challenge and it's functionality so I stuck with it.

0hmjWta.png

Tips

It easier to stick with one Idea and Feed off of it and create ideas within ideas. As long as the Mini-Game is enjoyable and playable by all users who try it then you're on the right path. Mini-Games just require a lot of trial and error and finding out what feels good within the hands and what doesn't. When trying to do an extreme Mini-Challenge it will be best to go for one Idea and narrow it down to pure repetition until you have completed the Mini-Game successfully.

Mini-Game Based Worlds:

EXPro: Forgotten Veil Play!

EXPro: Are You A God? Play!

EXPro: Rainbow Roadrage Play!

KO Crew: Death Dominion Play!

KO Crew: Cursed Minis 2 Play!

KO Crew: Cursed Minis 1 Play!

Edge of Insanity Play!

Beyond the Insanity Play!

Path To Shelter Play!

I Crew: Messy Mechanics Play!

I Crew: Persian Peril Play!

Nazty Crew: Naòs Antediluvian Play!

Nazty Crew: Lost Dynasty Play!

Metallic Monstrosity Play!

More to Come!

The old blind man said "You're Blind z0r".

Want to see someone interviewed? Follow this Link !

Wooted by:

#2 2015-04-23 05:24:11

Abelysk

Re: [Guide] How to Create a Mini-Game Challenge

There's no real way to make challenges, but this does teach a few techniques I suppose. People have different ways of making challenges.

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2015-04-26 20:40:13

Creature

Real tutorial to make a challenge: Do it yourself, don't ask for help.

This is a false statement.

Wooted by: (2)

#4 2015-04-26 21:34:47

Blindz0r

Creature wrote:

Real tutorial to make a challenge: Do it yourself, don't ask for help.

I couldn't put it any other way but this is an alternative along with others guides. Some people just don't know how to.

Wooted by:

#5 2015-04-26 21:39:22

lolwtfbbq

I don't do hard minigames this way. I just use ideas of accurating like jumping parkour which one you shouldn't stop, jump in correct time and do the longest jumps.

Look the example in one of my worlds:
http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWYwe4ZRjra0I

noob123: >.< WHY DID YOU GIVE HIM EDIT!!!!
someone: he is a mod, he can have edit in all worlds.
noob123: wow! i want to become a mod!

Wooted by:

#6 2015-04-26 22:19:53

skullz17

lolwtfbbq wrote:

I don't do hard minigames this way. I just use ideas of accurating like jumping parkour which one you shouldn't stop, jump in correct time and do the longest jumps.

I didn't look at the world, but what you describe sounds like a single concept. If you always make minis using the same concept, then you are limiting yourself.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

#7 2015-04-26 22:49:00

Blindz0r

skullz17 wrote:
lolwtfbbq wrote:

I didn't look at the world, but what you describe sounds like a single concept. If you always make minis using the same concept, then you are limiting yourself.

Especially when trying to create real challenges

Wooted by:

#8 2015-04-26 23:38:11

Rocatox

Blindz0r, I think this was a great tutorial of mainly outlining the difference between skillful mini-games and easy mini-games that you can simply stroll through. Then again, I don't think you should have strictly set the boundaries for challenge mini-games as you did. For example

"When creating these challenges it requires a well thought out plan, and a relative concept."
  I have created challenge mini-games as you call them, and I usually start out with no plan nor concept, and just mess around with arrows and blocks until I get something I like.

"Mini-Game Challenges are based on concepts that are put together to test the users capability in precision, accuracy and rhythm."
There are more skill sets that mini-game challenges test.

Otherwise I thought it was a very good guide, as it stressed the importance of correcting exploits and testing.

c9R1guC.png
Credit goes to Onjit.

Wooted by:

#9 2015-04-27 00:06:08

Blindz0r

Rocatox wrote:

Blindz0r, I think this was a great tutorial of mainly outlining the difference between skillful mini-games and easy mini-games that you can simply stroll through. Then again, I don't think you should have strictly set the boundaries for challenge mini-games as you did. For example

"When creating these challenges it requires a well thought out plan, and a relative concept."
  I have created challenge mini-games as you call them, and I usually start out with no plan nor concept, and just mess around with arrows and blocks until I get something I like.

"Mini-Game Challenges are based on concepts that are put together to test the users capability in precision, accuracy and rhythm."

Otherwise I thought it was a very good guide, as it stressed the importance of correcting exploits and testing.

Theoretically and technically you are still displaying a concept no matter what mini you make.

Those are the main skill sets challenged by those challenges that's why i stressed those 3.

Wooted by:

#10 2015-04-27 00:40:23

Rocatox

Blindz0r wrote:
Rocatox wrote:

Theoretically and technically you are still displaying a concept no matter what mini you make.

Those are the main skill sets challenged by those challenges that's why i stressed those 3.

Yeah, you are right- I just didn't want noob players to get freaked out and think they have to draw out a plan following those specific guidelines before making any mini.

c9R1guC.png
Credit goes to Onjit.

Wooted by:

#11 2015-04-27 01:23:14

Pingohits
Banned

ty for putting my world in there

it is quite old though, i have another world just like that but it is not done
ill finish it ASAP

791mAP8.png

#12 2015-04-27 03:53:46

Freckleface

I don't need no guides for hard minis! I just make it up and keep on testing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

F

#13 2015-04-27 03:57:10

Blindz0r

Freckleface wrote:

I don't need no guides for hard minis! I just make it up and keep on testing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

It's just a simple guide //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Wooted by:
Blindz0r1430103430499229

Board footer