Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-27 04:54:07

TiKen

Calculator - An alternative to the hard coded portal one

So there was this room with a calculator being able to do the following operators + - * / ^ and sqrt() with numbers between 1 and 15.

I (without any intentions to be mean) made the remark that I was expecting switches and doors/gates and I was a bit disappointed because it was hard coded using only portals. I briefly saw before the topic was deleted that I was challenged to create such a map.

Here it is

The map is an example of what you can do using switches (I used only 13#) to create a binary calculator. I didn't do an interface to show the result in decimal (not enough switch doors/gates) so you need to know how binary works to understand it.
Unfortunately, I was only able to do the addition... Due to a lack of switch doors/gates (I miss 12 to finish the subtraction) ==

x*y operation should be easy decomposable into additions and left shifts (or even just addition y times using a decreasing iterator [e.g. y]).
x/y operation (euclidean division) is a succession of subtraction
x^y operation is a succession of multiplication
sqrt(X) is however a bit tricky but there might be a (complicated) solution.

You can find how to perform binary basic operations here.

Note: Again, this in not an attack on the person who made the calculator I saw, but rather an example to show the power of a reusable counting system for any maps that could use it. A +1/-1 would be even easier and would allow you to store huge numbers!

Wooted by: (4)

#2 2015-03-27 17:00:34

Zumza

Re: Calculator - An alternative to the hard coded portal one

this is very cool.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#3 2015-03-27 20:29:10

Shadowkirby

Re: Calculator - An alternative to the hard coded portal one

TiKen, I apologize for rudely confronting you about my project. I just thought that you didn't enjoy my calculator, and that made me feel like deleting the topic, because you were right. Everything inside the calculator was based off of portals. This was the only way I knew how to make the calculator. This example of the calculator using switches as well, was excellent and definitely proved me wrong. I'm sorry for replying to you in that topic with a negative intent. All I wanted was for people to see this simple math tool that I created in 10 days. Despite the hard coded aspect, did you like it?

(- ᴥ -)

Shadowkirby1427484550488218

Board footer