Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-02 00:56:14, last edited by Infinight (2015-03-02 01:08:28)

Infinight

Open World "Theme Packs"

Let’s talk about a few problems with open worlds for a minute:

1. They’re boring. You have generic bricks, and you have gravity. And now, for some reason, you have invisible gravity. Because clearly, the most important thing in a mode where everyone has edit powers and nobody has god mode is the addition of an invisible way of throwing people into the air.

2. There’s no way easy to fix this without making things even worse. Look. Even the invisible gravity managed to do this. And adding things like boosters is even worse. This means a lot of the more fun action blocks are off limits unless you want them to be abused. No boosters, no portals, no spikes. No matter what, without the ability to choose what blocks are available and what blocks aren't, you're going to have a lot of angry fans. Maybe some keys and switches would be alright, but it would be kind of silly for someone to look around for switch 13 when they can just delete the door and place a new one in its place when they come through.

3. There’s no soul. Every open world is exactly like all the others, none of the bricks are visually pleasing and the background is a lifeless grey. There’s just nothing attractive about them.

4. This really shouldn’t be the case. Everybody Edits is intended to be a multiplayer level editor. Yet the mode that’s designed to combine level editing with gameplay is incredibly barren. The rest of the game kept evolving, but open worlds were mysteriously forgotten on the sidelines. And that’s sad because Open Worlds have a lot of untapped potential. That’s where the Theme Packs come in.

What are Theme Packs?

Basically, these are block packages purchased specifically for open worlds. Each Theme Pack will contain a number of blocks from different packages, including at least a couple special blocks. For example, a ninja Theme Pack might contain all of the ninja blocks and decorations, as well as the hidden, secret and invisible blocks, and maybe even some fog decorations. A space package could contain the mars blocks, the space shuttle and the invisible gravity. Or, a jungle Theme Pack could contain all the jungle blocks, ruins and the swamp.

Upon starting an open world, in addition to naming it, you get to choose up to three Theme Packs to apply to the level. Among these is a “primary” Theme Pack which dictates the default background for the world (other backgrounds can be added manually in places, but when they’re erased, the background will return to the default instead of the boring grey). Anyone in the world can use any of the blocks, decorations or backgrounds there. Only the creator of the world needs to own the Theme Packs.

There would be a basic Theme Pack, of course, that would include all the blocks that are already available in open worlds and players would start out with. The exception being the gravity blocks, which would be available in every open world, regardless of Themes. Additionally, this Basic Pack would also include one-way blocks.

Additional ideas:

Player Portals: Portals for open worlds could be included in certain Theme Packs. Rather than have values to be set, each player would have two portals to place (One the normal blue and one orange) that transport players between them. Whenever a player places a new portal of that color, the old portal disappears.

Phantom Boosters: These are white boosters that don’t do anything. In five seconds, they become normal boosters. The reason for this is that the normal boosters can be used by trolls to shoot away other players. The Phantom Boosters are the fix for this as, if they’re placed on a player, they could be deleted before they become active.

Also, if you like this idea, please vote it up on the Trello: https://trello.com/c/4CMOhjro/54-open-world-theme-packs

#2 2015-03-02 01:16:15

Pingohits
Banned

Re: Open World "Theme Packs"

good idea, but I don't want to pay energy for blocks I already have.

I do like the theme packs though! I think it seems like a cool idea!

791mAP8.png

#3 2015-03-02 02:41:38

Kyle97

I really like this idea. It would give most open worlds a more rpg feel to them, which could be fun //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#4 2015-03-05 00:23:02

Cbomb9999

I like the idea, but if you own all the blocks in a theme you should unlock it for free, and that doesn't mean with gems. The only real problem in open worlds is there is always a troll that will ruin the experience for others by spamming, deleting, etc. and until this is fixed, open worlds will always be flawed. id say a solution is that as long as the player is active, only they can change or delete what they placed, but without good communication between multiple players co-working on a project, there will be disagreements on how to build it. The best solution I can come up with is add a filter to open worlds, like setting it to an art world, that would lock certain actions and unlock others. Like art allowing flying, but no one can erase your products while your online or you give edit ability to someone, where as a world filtered as chaos would act like the current open worlds with full abilities for all players, One might be filtered as attraction would be the closest to a normal world with 1 creator unless they invite others to build a game or would work as a no edit, random generated world filled with zero gravity and blocks/bots to start a game of tag (curse),  HvZ (human vs zombie), Capture the flag (CTF), etc. (games that could run like a game of paintball, lazertag, ... you know, a game on a course filled with platforms to hide or to use as cover)

#5 2015-03-31 22:10:56

Joshua708

Cbomb9999 wrote:

I like the idea, but if you own all the blocks in a theme you should unlock it for free, and that doesn't mean with gems. The only real problem in open worlds is there is always a troll that will ruin the experience for others by spamming, deleting, etc. and until this is fixed, open worlds will always be flawed. id say a solution is that as long as the player is active, only they can change or delete what they placed, but without good communication between multiple players co-working on a project, there will be disagreements on how to build it. The best solution I can come up with is add a filter to open worlds, like setting it to an art world, that would lock certain actions and unlock others. Like art allowing flying, but no one can erase your products while your online or you give edit ability to someone, where as a world filtered as chaos would act like the current open worlds with full abilities for all players, One might be filtered as attraction would be the closest to a normal world with 1 creator unless they invite others to build a game or would work as a no edit, random generated world filled with zero gravity and blocks/bots to start a game of tag (curse),  HvZ (human vs zombie), Capture the flag (CTF), etc. (games that could run like a game of paintball, lazertag, ... you know, a game on a course filled with platforms to hide or to use as cover)

Thats where troll-detection builtin comes //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink Built in //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink So if someone starts trolling the game will kick the player //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Hey look a bunch of stats about me
browser-chrome-blue.svg visual%20studio-community%202017-7D3BC4.svg windows-10-brightgreen.svg download-70%20mbps-blue.svg upload-10%20mbps-blue.svg

ram-16%20gb-green.svg Processor-Intel%20i5--5200U-green.svg Graphics-Intel%20HD%20Graphics%205500-green.svg

kyK5VkB.png

#6 2015-04-01 12:11:02

Koya
Fabulous Member

All blocks should be available in open worlds whether you own them or not

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#7 2015-04-01 12:37:56

Kamekthemagician

I may read this topic tomorrow when this language dissapears //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

udZX0YY.gif

My nickname in-game is Supermariobros20. I have played EE for 4 years! I love creating Super Mario worlds!

#8 2015-04-01 23:21:04, last edited by Cbomb9999 (2015-04-01 23:27:04)

Cbomb9999

Kamekthemagician wrote:

I may read this topic tomorrow when this language dissapears //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

I  h e a r  y o u ,  f r i e n d .  t h i s  s e r v e r  e d i t i n g  i n t o  a "new"  l a n g u a g e  m a k e s  i t  q u i t e  h a r d  t o  r e a d  i t  p r o p e r l y .

B u t  I  g u e s s  p u t t i n g  a n  e x t r a  s p a c e  b e t w e e n  e a c h  l e t t e r  c a n  h e l p  . . .

#9 2015-04-02 08:23:34, last edited by Kamekthemagician (2015-04-02 08:23:50)

Kamekthemagician

Cbomb9999 wrote:
Kamekthemagician wrote:

I  h e a r  y o u ,  f r i e n d .  t h i s  s e r v e r  e d i t i n g  i n t o  a "new"  l a n g u a g e  m a k e s  i t  q u i t e  h a r d  t o  r e a d  i t  p r o p e r l y .

B u t  I  g u e s s  p u t t i n g  a n  e x t r a  s p a c e  b e t w e e n  e a c h  l e t t e r  c a n  h e l p  . . .

Haha. Btw I´ve read it. It is a nice idea, but I hope your idea doesn´t mean we lose all the packs we bought when we use them in only one open world, we all leave and it dissapears forever...

udZX0YY.gif

My nickname in-game is Supermariobros20. I have played EE for 4 years! I love creating Super Mario worlds!

Kamekthemagician1427959414490364

Board footer