Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Harry Potter as Jesus?

It's recently occurred to me that the Harry Potter books remind me of something. The Bible. No, really, just hear me out.

He begins learning at age 11
He is considered 'the chosen one'
He doesn't want to do what he's being asked to do
He sacrifices himself to save everyone
He is resurrected

Sound familiar?

Video contains spoilers.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9zPOQTQr8o[/youtube]

Discuss religion in relation to HP and why so many Christian groups disapprove HP books because of the magical qualities.

Last edited by Tako (Jul 31 2011 1:14:29 pm)

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#2 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

Re: Harry Potter as Jesus?

The Bible says magic is bad therefore Christians believe it. No debate there.

#3 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Chewy wrote:

Harry potter is not 100% magic.

The books, not the person.

Last edited by Tako (Jul 31 2011 1:19:10 pm)

#4 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

TakoMan02 wrote:
Chewy wrote:

I realize this as even you in your first post, said that it was magical qualities, but still, that's some magic. Also it was hinted at that Dumbledore was gay and we all know how they feel about gay people.

#5 Before February 2015

cheezpuffs

hmmmm... interesting symbolism...

i found something else like this, look:
hes called Kefka from the Final Fantasy series :/
FFVI-lastboss_us.gif
it appears that each part of him represents different parts of his personalities, and relates to Dantes book 'The Divine Comedy' where you go through each part, ultimately reaching god:
KefkaGodSprite.PNG

#6 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Chewy wrote:
TakoMan02 wrote:
Chewy wrote:

I realize this as even you in your first post, said that it was magical qualities, but still, that's some magic. Also it was hinted at that Dumbledore was gay and we all know how they feel about gay people.

Is it right of these Christian groups to ignore all of the great morals just because the Bible told them so?

Does one bad quality taint the entire book?

Why can't they READ about it? It's not as if they are PRACTICING magic.

Last edited by Tako (Jul 31 2011 1:26:32 pm)

#7 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

TakoMan02 wrote:
Chewy wrote:
TakoMan02 wrote:

Is it right of these Christian groups to ignore all of the great morals just because the Bible told them so?No.

Does one bad quality taint the entire book?For them, yes.

Why can't they READ about it? It's not as if they are PRACTICING magic.Have YOU read the book? They are.

#8 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

TakoMan02 wrote:
Chewy wrote:

Why can't they READ about it? It's not as if they are PRACTICING magic.Have YOU read the book? They are.

By reading about magic we're practicing magic?

Last edited by Tako (Jul 31 2011 1:46:29 pm)

#9 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

TakoMan02 wrote:
TakoMan02 wrote:
Chewy wrote:

By reading about magic we're practicing magic?

You mean the reader? I thought you were talking about the characters in the book. Anyways, the book condones magic. With your logic, you're saying it is ok for a Christian to read books on magic.

#10 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Chewy wrote:

You mean the reader? I thought you were talking about the characters in the book. Anyways, the book condones magic. With your logic, you're saying it is ok for a Christian to read books on magic.

Yeah. It's a fantasy book about magic, not a serious magic book. It's all to be taken to imagination.

Do they consider 'imagining a world of magic' a sin? Are Christians not allowed to imagine?

The fact that some Christian readers can't get passed the 'fiction' part greatly limits their range of books.

Last edited by Tako (Jul 31 2011 1:55:47 pm)

#11 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

TakoMan02 wrote:
Chewy wrote:

Yeah. It's a fantasy book about magic, not a serious magic book. It's all to be taken to imagination.

Do they consider 'imagining a world of magic' a sin? Are Christians not allowed to imagine?

The fact that some Christian readers can't get passed the 'fiction' part greatly limits their range of books.

You got me there. I wouldn't know because I don't follow that religion.

#12 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Chewy wrote:

You got me there. I wouldn't know because I don't follow that religion.

About.com:

Reading HP promotes practicing magic. By saying magic is a good thing, it may cause the reader the switch to another magic-practicing religion.

Objections to "Harry Potter" usually reference Deuteronomy 18:10-12, "There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you." (NKJV)

These Christians believe that the books promote the modern religions of Wicca, Paganism, and Neopaganism. They point to the terms "witch," "wizard," and the variety of spells presented in the books as leading children and Christian teens down the path to the occult.

Some characters in Harry Potter are not very good role models.

Finally, many Christians have an issue with the moral ambiguity presented in the books. J.K. Rowling has presented a world where moral questions do not always have clear answers, and this presents an issue for some parents who feel her characters are not being appropriate role models for their children. There are good characters that commit murder and other good characters that lie and steal. Some characters are considered "evil," but Rowling presents them as having a psychology that makes them somewhat sympathetic.

Swearing.

Also, there are some references to swear words that offend some Christian teens and adults.

---

These books are not meant for children. Murder, lying and swearing all exist in this world today. Instead of pretending they don't exist, J.K. Rowling embraces it, making it a very 'fleshly' book, as Christians call it. Fleshly = of the Earth, sinful, human-like, ungodly. It's the reality combined with fantasy that makes fiction so much better, as readers like to relate to situations and/or characters' feelings.

And exercising resistance to magic-worshiping only makes you stronger. If you read the Harry Potter books then convert to magic-worshiping, you have a very, VERY weak resistance to sin. I highly doubt such a thing has ever occurred, although the simple fact that HP is promoting magic does the job for Christian groups.

Which leads us back to the fact it's fiction. People that convert, or even consider practicing magic haven't realized this. Fictional books are meant to spark your imagination, and that's it.

#13 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

Chewy wrote:

This is pretty much what christians do. Whatever bible says don't do it.

That's why the religion is FLAWED.

#14 Before February 2015

EEVeteran

I'm a Christian, and I've never heard anything about Christians going against the Harry Potter books.

#15 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

D-rock2308 wrote:
Chewy wrote:

I'm not interested in your close minded, provocative opinions about religion unless you can relate them to HP/Jesus.

Seriously, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about and would be considered derailing.

#16 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

TakoMan02 wrote:
D-rock2308 wrote:
Chewy wrote:

I'm not interested in your close minded, provocative opinions about religion unless you can relate them to HP/Jesus.

Seriously, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about and would be considered derailing.

It. Links to the bible prohibting things like maGic.

If you want the best answer ask your priest ot pasteur. Things like banning HP makes me wonder more about some Christains.

#17 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

I've never heard of this, and I don't know anyone who thinks HP is evil because it contains magic. I go to church every single week and when the last part of the HP movies came out everyone there was just as excited as everyone else. I don't think it's right to say that a lot of christian groups are mad at HP. I think it'd be more accurate to say there's a handful of christians who are making a whole lot of noise.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#18 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Catholic here.
I love the HP series. Magic and all. The thought of 'banning' it because it shows something against our religion is completely absurd. This is where you have to have a line drawn between reality and fantasy. Even when reading the bible, you need to know what's literal and what isn't. It's the same thing.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#19 Before February 2015

treejoe4

Why turn a joke into a debate people?

#20 Before February 2015

TrappedTime

Ummm are you people so intune with EE that you don't know about today's stuff?
Christians have accepted homosexuals as human beings. Though it is a sin to be homo because it defeats the purpose of new life (babies), I still don't think they should be punished for being born gay and having no choice over it.

If God was truly loving he wouldn't send anyone to Hell for loving who they love. . .
[Wow, I think I'm going to Hell just by saying that...]

#21 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

JadElClemens wrote:

Catholic here.
I love the HP series. Magic and all. The thought of 'banning' it because it shows something against our religion is completely absurd. This is where you have to have a line drawn between reality and fantasy. Even when reading the bible, you need to know what's literal and what isn't. It's the same thing.

Through protestant churches the bible can be interpreted differently, which means even if your church doesn't do it and you don't know anything about it since your not in that environment, doesn't mean other people DON'T do it. Some Protestants are hardcore bible followers and others not so much.

That's why I use the word some when I talk about christians because there is so many branches of that religion and it's contorted and changed so much people don't even realize.

#22 Before February 2015

Twipply

TrappedTime wrote:

Christians have accepted homosexuals as human beings.

Questionable sometimes.

TrappedTime wrote:

Though it is a sin to be homo because it defeats the purpose of new life (babies), I still don't think they should be punished for being born gay and having no choice over it.

Do I get to go to hell for sinning because I chose to never have a child?   What if I was born infertile?   If a gay guy has a kid anyway, is it no longer a sin because he's created new life?
I wonder if celibacy is a sin, too.

TrappedTime wrote:

If God was truly loving he wouldn't send anyone to Hell for loving who they love. . .
[Wow, I think I'm going to Hell just by saying that...]

I think you'll be fine, somehow.

#23 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Are the Harry Potter books doing more bad than good?

It's making magic seem like an absolutely wonderful thing, right? I can see a few idiots take HP a little too far and actually try to practice magic, which makes me wonder.

#24 Before February 2015

Pugmatt

Lol I never noticed that, thanks for sharing! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#25 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

TakoMan02 wrote:

Are the Harry Potter books doing more bad than good?

It's making magic seem like an absolutely wonderful thing, right? I can see a few idiots take HP a little too far and actually try to practice magic, which makes me wonder.

It's just so wierd how the world WANTS us to read, to get smarter, to enjoy it, but some people have to label books BAD. I see no reason why they aren't good. Personally, I think books help with creativity, giving pictures in your head, like a movie you see without your eyes.

Why would magic be a bad thing either, do Christians hate magicians too? Or maybe Alchemists from the old days.

I'm not saying it exists but it seems pretty dang stupid why people should un-encourage books to be read just because of their content. A good book is a good book and should be read by fantasy lovers or anyone in particular.

Tako1423639425322007

Board footer