Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

krubby

Sikhism: Pretty Much the Best Religion?

So atheists frequently go around saying that religion is terrible because of reasons. But Sikhism addresses EVERY SINGLE ONE of these complaints and makes the religion absolutely problemless and all these ideas were made 500 years ago. Here's their philosophies:

There is only one God, he is the Creator, Sustainer and Destroyer.

God cannot take human form.

Rejection of all forms of blind rituals such as fasting, religious vegetarianism, pilgrimages, superstions, yoga, as well as any form of idol worship.

The five cardinal vices are; Kam (lust), Krodh (anger), Lobh (greed), Moh (worldly attachment) and Ahankar (pride). If one can overcome these, they will achieve salvation.

Normal Family life (Grasth) is encouraged, celibacy or renunciation of the world is not necessary to achieve salvation. The devotee must live in the world yet keep his mind pure. He must be a soldier, a scholar, a saint.

The Sikh Holy Book (Guru Granth Sahib) is the perpetual Guru, there is no place in Sikhism for a living Guru today.

Sikhism rejects all distinctions of caste, creed, race or sex.

The Guru's stressed the full equality of women, rejecting female infanticide, sati (wife burning), permitting widow remarriage and rejects purdah (women wearing veils).

Honest labour and work (Kirat Karna) are the approved way of living ones life. It is considered honourable to earn ones daily bread through honest work and not by begging or dishonest means.

Another thing they say is that you don't have to believe in God to go to heaven, you just have to do what God wants which is to be a good person. Seriously, I want to see y'all find something bad about this.

"The blind ignorant ones stray in doubt and so deluded, deluded they pluck flowers for worship. They worship the lifeless stones and adore tombs. Their service all goes in vain." (Guru Ram Das, Malar, pg. 1264)
Haha! You tell em!

Last edited by krubby (Mar 18 2013 1:38:20 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

skullz17

Re: Sikhism: Pretty Much the Best Religion?

Wow.

I want to convert now.

This is like my perfect 'religion', if it should even be called that. I'm having a lot of problems with my religion at the moment, and my parents wouldn't help if I confessed that to them, they would reject my beliefs and force me to believe what I don't want to believe //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

But I won't talk about my life here.

After reading this, I think this is, like you said, pretty much the best religion. It kinda relates to modern life as well because now there's a lot more equality between men and women but back when stuff like The Bible was created I guess all of that wasn't resolved yet.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#3 Before February 2015

Saintcool

I see this as advertising a religion, which in my opinion is completely wrong, if someone wants to join a religion, they should find it themselves without being told what to think.

#4 Before February 2015

krubby

I'm educatin! If it was Christianity or Islam it would be advertising but if it's something that people don't know about it then I think it's fine. I'm an atheist myself, I just really respet the religion and wanted ta see thoughts.

#5 Before February 2015

Arceus64

Nothing is "best".

There is no "best" religion.

There's also no "best" country, no "best" human, no "best" planet.

The word "best" is a full, one-way opinion.

This topic was half-interesting to read, but the topic is lies. There is no "best".

#6 Before February 2015

treejoe4

There is no right religion.

#7 Before February 2015

Deetz

I completely honestly believe that all religions are bogus.

Let me explain.

Religions are basically the creations of random people that some people believed were prophets or whatever because they said so, or they were "ideal people". True, not all religions are like this, but they were all made by humans, and humans do not know everything. We barely know anything. Sure, there might be some sort of supreme being up there, some form of afterlife, but humans simply can't know.

This is a personal opinion (and probably the most prominant opinion I've had here thusfar), but it is what I believe.

/end

#8 Before February 2015

krubby

Man, I ain't saying it's the truth which y'all seem to think I mean. I'm saying that it's the best as in that there's nothing wrong with it and that it does good things for society.

#9 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Welp. I know what book I'm going to buy.

Saintcool wrote:

I see this as advertising a religion, which in my opinion is completely wrong, if someone wants to join a religion, they should find it themselves without being told what to think.

So basically, you think we should only listen to human nature? That's pretty deep, man. Wouldn't the world be twice as corrupt and ignorant?

Several people wrote:

It's impossible for a religion to be "best".

I made this a while back for Different55, but I guess it applies here.
75d842820d

Deetz wrote:

I completely honestly believe that all religions are bogus.

Let me explain.

Religions are basically the creations of random people that some people believed were prophets or whatever because they said so, or they were "ideal people". True, not all religions are like this, but they were all made by humans, and humans do not know everything. We barely know anything. Sure, there might be some sort of supreme being up there, some form of afterlife, but humans simply can't know.

Well, I see where you're coming from. And you're completely right when you say we simply can't know for certain. However, I think the names are tripping you up. God (in this context), Kam, Krodh, etc. are not deities or people, they are forces of nature that we see in humans or nature every day. They are not, therefore, random creations.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#10 Before February 2015

Shift

krubby wrote:

Seriously, I want to see y'all find something bad about this.

It's not [insert name of religion here].

#11 Before February 2015

ILoveBacon

I like Sikhism too, free curry for everyone.

#12 Before February 2015

Muffin

krubby wrote:

There is only one God

I found something bad like you asked. The part about a god.

#13 Before February 2015

SilverStar
EE Homegirl

Muffin wrote:
krubby wrote:

There is only one God

But you also don't have to believe in that god.

Which makes me wonder why someone would call themselves that religion if they didn't believe in the god.

Oh I take that back, it's like the Jefferson Bible. (A bible written exactly the same as the new testament, only with all references to a god taken out.) So then you could be good and 'Christian' without the whole god thing.

1oGNJTH.gif

#14 Before February 2015

krubby

Muffin wrote:
krubby wrote:

There is only one God

Maaan, that doesn't hurt anyone.

#15 Before February 2015

Redhat

looks more like a life philosophy than a religion
I'm in...

LEVfOrl.png

#16 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Muffin wrote:
krubby wrote:

There is only one God

And why is it a bad thing to believe in a god?

Don't get me wrong, I'm atheist, but it would be extremely ignorant to say "Oop, you said the word 'God', everything else must be pure stupidity."

That's like rebuking someone's entire political ideology because they agree with a solution on one issue and you heard someone else of the same party offer a different solution and you disagree with them. I can count at least three logical fallacies.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#17 Before February 2015

abcdfgt

it doesn't matter if you have religion or type of religion .

--just do a good thing .

If Heaven is true , then you can go.

If not , still the happinness is yours.

i repeat ,

just do a good thing .

krubby1423674594286838

Board footer