Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

DBear

I think the rules section and one of the boards need some tweaking...

**Warning!** Long post ahead! Beware being crushed by the big wall of text!!(But seriously, don't read this post if you don't want to, because with the entire post and the included links, there will be a LOT of reading! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Hello, all. When I first registered for this forum, the first thing I did was to check the rules to see what was and was not allowed here. What I saw was a bit disappointing, and even a little worrying...

Rules
1. No flaming: Flaming is defined as personal attacks against another user on these forums. This will not be tolerated. 2. No spamming: Spam posts, i.e. posts with little or no content or meaning, are not allowed.
3. No illegal, sexually oriented, excessively violent, or inappropriate content material. Such content will not be tolerated.
4. Multi-posting, defined as posting more than twice in a row in one topic, is not allowed; use the edit button.
5. Having more than one account on these forums, without administrator permission, is strictly prohibited.
6. We reserve the right to remove content at our discretion.
7. These rules are subject to change at anytime.

This is really not a good thing for a community that has so many users. Only numbers 1, 2, and 3 define for certain some things that are not allowed. But there's still so much more to cover. I think that a proper Terms of Use detailing the guidelines for this forum would do much good. For instance, I go to a gaming site called GameFAQs, and as it's such a large site, it has to have proper rules and standards. Even though this forum here is still rather small compared to other forums, I believe that these two links here would greatly aid in the start of a proper ToS written, if a moderator or administrator were inclined to implement such a thing. Of course, not everything in their rules would have to be implemented here, and also, even their rules might need some modifying to fit this site. Like, for instance, if a user here were perhaps discussing Beta accounts on the Introductions board, instead of moderating them, simply moving the topic to the appropriate board. Plus, this forum's potential ToS need not be as long or as thorough as the GameFAQs ToS, but I certainly hope that if this much needed feature is implemented, it will be clear in exactly what is and is not appropriate for this forum. Another thing I think would be beneficial would be a proper way to mark messages for specific violations. For example, this is what the screen looks like when a user marks another for whatever violation they posted. It's very easy and efficient to use, for both users and moderators alike. On another note, but in relation to this, I noticed another thread on this board where a user said that his topic was locked because a troll began to spam it. On the subject of moderating things and whatnot, I think that the administrator were to implement an ability to suspend users(rendering them unable to post until the administrator decides what to do with their account) would help keep the users safe from trolls who like to ruin topics. Just a suggestion. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile (also somewhat related, I couldn't really find a direct link to this little thing, and I think it's pretty helpful. If a ToS were to be implemented, I think throwing that little link in there would be helpful)

Another thing that isn't quite as urgent as this forum's need of an official set of rules is that two of the boards, in my opinion, could perhaps have their names or descriptions altered slightly. For instance, the board name "General Discussion" sounds very vague, and if a user weren't looking at the board's description, they might think that it would be a board to talk about anything, and as such, their thread would get buried under the threads that are actually about Everybody Edits. If I may, I would suggest renaming that board "Everybody Edits Discussion", just so that it's definitive what that board is for. But what if the forum users want to just talk to each other? Well, the board "Off-Topic" does seem to be for that very reason, but in my opinion, the name of the board doesn't quite reach out to users and tell them that they can hang out there. I would suggest renaming that board to something nice and fun, like "Social Central" or something, just so that users definitely know that that board is where they can go and talk about whatever they like!

*whew*
Now, summing up this monstrous thread, all the issues mentioned above are things that I sincerely believe will help maintain this forum, and maybe even help it grow. Who knows? Some might look at this thread and say that I care entirely too much, and maybe that is so, but I enjoy Everybody Edits very much, and I wish its forum to be at the absolute best it can be. I would be extremely thankful if any of my concerns/suggestions were taken into the minds of the moderators or administrators for considering. I know it might be a lot of work to implement all these things, but I really, really think it would help a whole lot. Thanks to all who took the time to actually read this post of mine and looked at the supporting links. I do appreciate it, really! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

P.S., I guess using the word "tweaking" was a bit of an understatement, lol.

Last edited by Danni (Dec 23 2010 10:39:32 am)

Please, call me Danni.
NNID: DanniDearest
MK8 or Splatoon, brah.
EOnu2OZ.png

#2 Before February 2015

Alex

Re: I think the rules section and one of the boards need some tweaking...

The Rules list has been commonly discussed, and, indeed, is in need of a renovation.

I do believe the renaming General Discussion to EE discussion would help a lot.

I also think making users read the rules when signing up is in order, there is a lot of double posting and general spam.

Several forums(mainly game suggestions.) Need renovation, too, which I'm looking into atm.

Koala tea post, Danni.

#3 Before February 2015

DBear

Thanks! But I have two questions.
1. Is there a blacklist for words or phrases(like swears, racial slurs, etc) that prevent users from creating accounts with these words? Because I noticed some troll running about the forums with a swear word for a username...
2. Are the moderators capable of deleting posts? Because if so, then the user I mentioned in my previous post who had his topic locked should not have had it locked at all..
BUT, if the answers to both of these questions are "no", then both are definitely things that need to be put on top of the to-do list. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Please, call me Danni.
MK8 or Splatoon, brah.
EOnu2OZ.png

#4 Before February 2015

Alex

There is no swear filter for usernames(or the users themselves), I definitely support this if we can do it.

And, yes, moderators can delete posts. The particular situation was that someone kept spamming the thread in question and there was no admin on, so rather than delete a post every few seconds I closed the thread which ended the problem(I was anticipating the guy to just go crazy all over the forum...).

#5 Before February 2015

DBear

Thanks! But I have two questions.
1. Is there a blacklist for words or phrases(like swears, racial slurs, etc) that prevent users from creating accounts with these words? Because I noticed some troll running about the forums with a swear word for a username...
2. Are the moderators capable of deleting posts? Because if so, then the user I mentioned in my previous post who had his topic locked should not have had it locked at all..
---
Edit:
Oh, I see that some of his posts were deleted...then why was the other user's topic locked then? Btw I am talking about this guy.
---
Edit AGAIN:

alex wrote:

There is no swear filter for usernames(or the users themselves), I definitely support this if we can do it.

And, yes, moderators can delete posts. The particular situation was that someone kept spamming the thread in question and there was no admin on, so rather than delete a post every few seconds I closed the thread which ended the problem(I was anticipating the guy to just go crazy all over the forum...).

Ohhh, okay. I see. Well, yes, definitely moderators need to be able to ban disruptive users, or at the very least suspend their posting privileges.   :/

Last edited by Danni (Dec 23 2010 10:29:04 am)

Please, call me Danni.
MK8 or Splatoon, brah.
EOnu2OZ.png

DBear1423699776261656

Board footer