Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

jakery

When should I report a post?

I've never once used the reporting system--partially because mods seem to find trouble posts without me doing so, and partially because I don't know when it is appropriate to do so. I have, indeed, read the forum rules, and reporting is mentioned several times, but I see no guidelines for what to report other than "if someone is breaking a rule."

To me the "report" feature is kind of a panic button--when a post is such a serious problem that it requires immediate attention (such as personal threats, illegal/obscene content). For that reason, I don't report minor issues such as a thread in the wrong topic, or even moderate issues like double posting and gravedigging. After all, nobody likes a tattle-tale.

TL;DR: Is "report" a panic button or a general notification system for the mods? Is frequent reporting [on valid rule infractions, however minor] seen as a help or an annoyance?

Last edited by jakery (Apr 27 2011 1:29:30 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: When should I report a post?

I see it very much as help. Before it was a mod the only time I used it was during chatunlocker's raid. But now it's very helpful. I don't have time to go through every thread, but when people report every rule break, it makes it look like we see everything everyone is doing and that helps keep the peace.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#3 Before February 2015

Panic

I don't exactly care about reporting, but I do it anyway. I'm not the "OMG RULEBREEEEEAAAAK *REPORT*" guy. I'm more of a "Meh, *click*". I usually only view certiain sections on the forums for whatever, and pick out threads that seem interesting. I don't care if I waste time looking at a spam post, just click the report thingy and leave.
Anyway, we need some random thing to prevent people from spamming reports.

Obligatory piece of text placed here forcing you to load an extra 100 bytes of data per post I make.

#4 Before February 2015

Alex

Report anything against the rules, it makes it much easier for us(err, them, aha).
It's not a panic button, it notifies us of a problem faster than any other way.

#5 Before February 2015

RhazzleFrazzle

troll raids like twipplysucks are usually ended by the report system. someone does the reports and as soon as a mod comes on the troll gets banned and the posts get deleted.(and in some cases the account is deleted)

#6 Before February 2015

Gamer1120

The only things I ever reported for is multiple posting and move to graveyard.

jakery 1423701852259580

Board footer