Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

jakery

Flag post system

TL;DR: Think "newgrounds whistle" or "stackoverflow flag".

When someone starts trolling the forum into the ground, and the mods are offline, let's give the users a way to fight back. When you click "flag this post," You click a radio button for the reason why you flagged the post.

o Adult Content / Illegal Content / Flooding Spam o Trolling o Language o Useless Double Post o Off-Topic o Useless Gravedig o Other [enter reason here]

All users start with a flag weight of 10.
If the mod agrees that the flagged post was spam/adultContent/illegal, your "flag weight" goes up by 1. If the mod considers it a false alarm, "flag weight" goes down by two.

If a post gets flagged with 50 or more, (5 normal users flagged the post), the post is auto-hidden for everyone. If the 50-or-more post was flagged for "Adult/Illegal/Spam Flooding", the user's posts are all hidden and the owner of the post is prevented from making any new posts until a mod reviews the flagged post and takes action.

Any good?

Edit: Also, the users' max weight is 25. Takes a minimum of 2 users to reach 50.

#2 Before February 2015

Betaguy

Re: Flag post system

//forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
Great idea... but 50 will take some time //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

#3 Before February 2015

jakery

Starting flag weight is 10, so it would only take 5 starting users to get to 50.

#4 Before February 2015

Rurigok

Great idea, but it'd take quite a while to code.   Cyclone would need to create an all-new plugin for this imo.

#5 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

Doable but risky. I've been a moderator on a site which used a "vote to hide" system, people have no inhibitions about making 20 accounts to hide a post...

#6 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

Cyclone wrote:

Doable but risky. I've been a moderator on a site which used a "vote to hide" system, people have no inhibitions about making 20 accounts to hide a post...

I was thinking about this the other day. It SHOULD work...

#7 Before February 2015

jakery

Cyclone wrote:

If twenty accounts suddenly all flag the same innocuous post, we all shout, "AMERICA! F*** YEAH!" and permaban the entire subnet (Amirite? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile ).

Anyway, was it a big problem? In your opinion, was the forum better or worse because of the feature?

#8 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

The forum was much worse for that feature, and that functionality was removed

#9 Before February 2015

BEE

Honestly, just have a "sub" group of hidden mods. Basically everyone over twenty rep would have a similar ability to this ^ one, but instead of hiding the entire thread and banning the user, the thread instead has a "this thread has been marked as inappropriate" message inside so users enter at their own risk.

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

#10 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

^ I like this.

But about the hidden mods, I like it but is it possible to make more than one moderator usergroup? If so, I'd like to know how for my forums. If not, oh well.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#11 Before February 2015

jakery

+1 to Bee's idea. An elegant compromise.

#12 Before February 2015

Zalgryth

This is a fantastic idea in theory. However, as Cyclone has said, it's very easy to come up with multiple accounts to spam flags. This can also be used to spam rep, as per Bee's suggestion. I do think there should be a way to solve this, though. Mod intervention is helpful but sometimes users need to take things into their own hands.

I do agree with the "thread flagged as inappropriate" fix to it. I don't know if it'd help as a permanent fix, but only time would tell no?

#13 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

...What's wrong with the current report system anyway?

#14 Before February 2015

Cyclopsicle

Mods off = Forum gets raided

#15 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

^this.
With this, if there's someone on, it will get dealt with to some degree.

Last edited by Different55 (Jun 9 2011 5:31:21 pm)

- ShinsukeIto

#16 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Problem with Bee's idea: What about people like Mrboogawesome?

#17 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

What makes MBA special? What do you mean?

- ShinsukeIto

#18 Before February 2015

Hurricane

Different55 wrote:

BMA has like 80+ rep, and most of which are just rep trading, and other stuff.

#19 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Perhaps a certain number of posts, instead of rep? Maybe 300? Or maybe a specific amount of both.

- ShinsukeIto

#20 Before February 2015

Master1.0

Epic idea is epic.

Flag system = less spam and crap, etc.

#21 Before February 2015

D-rock2308

Hurricane wrote:
Different55 wrote:

BMA has like 80+ rep, and most of which are just rep trading, and other stuff.

This, plus people would make new accounts just to +rep themselves. We would need a different method for picking these, like mini mods that can't do anything but hide posts ect.

#22 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

^Would be nice.

- ShinsukeIto

#23 Before February 2015

Chimi

I like the idea of picking a set amount of people out of the crowd. Like moderators, except a lot more of them and they don't get any other special privileges. They don't need a special title, but perhaps the picked users would be announced in a Forum Announcements thread.

edit: I think 10 - 15 of the most active users would be a nice amount.

Last edited by Chimi (Jun 9 2011 8:28:01 pm)

#24 Before February 2015

Rurigok

Moderators (any type of mods) will never be chosen automatically/get powers for doing certain things.   The current staff will pick them, not how much rep or posts they have.

Cyclone: the problem is, users cannot take any action to solve the problem without the help of a mod.   I'd rather not have 'inappropriate stuff' on the forums for 8 hours until a mod gets on.

#25 Before February 2015

BEE

I feel that people wouldn't spam rep for my "flagged" idea because it doesnt actually delete the thread, just gives a 'warning'

A mod would have overruling powers, of course.

Custom Tab: Forum Post|Trello

Thanks Xen for my Avatar and Smitty for the smiley 47BA5lq.png

jakery 1423703194258238

Board footer