Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

The End to Forum Trolls

I've gotten a bit tired of forum trolls. Whether it be spamming smiley's, double (even triple) posting, excessive cursing, or being just plain rude. Plain and simple, there's just too much of it.

I think the problem starts when people sign up. There's nothing that really forces you to read the rules. Heck, when I made an account I didn't read them either. And part of the solution resides here. A quiz.

Not a lengthy quiz, just something at the bottom of the rule page that makes you scan the rules for the answer.
Something like this:

What is one rule about the forums?
(drop-down menu:)
Do not quote too much
Do not use language that makes you seem mad
Do not abuse smiley's
Do not curse

The right answer would be "do not abuse smiley's"
There is no rule about how much you can quote.
You can get mad on the forums, just not crazy mad.
You're allowed to curse, just don't fill all your sentences with them. One every now-and-again.

The other half to the solution to forum trolls is in the forum itself. Over a long period of time people have decided that "three strikes and your out" should fit everything. No. In my opinion, there should be one chance. I.e.:

Player: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile :O //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad :rolleyes: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool ***** **** *** ****
Chewy: Do not abuse smiley's. Do not curse excessively. This is your one and only warning. Read the rules (link to rules)
Chewy PM's player about the warning and the rules.
(in another topic)
Player: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile :O //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad :rolleyes: //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool ***** **** *** ****
Chewy bans player

Force you to read the rules, one warning. If you're really good, they can take the warning away because it obviously shows you made a mistake and you're not that kind of person.

Last edited by Tako (Apr 8 2011 6:46:11 am)

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#2 Before February 2015

Monstar43

Re: The End to Forum Trolls

Great idea.This should be added.

#3 Before February 2015

Betaguy

I like this, and especcialy the "I made a mistake" idea..... Everyone make mistakes sometimes...

Last edited by Betaguy (Apr 3 2011 8:13:48 am)

#4 Before February 2015

RhazzleFrazzle

there is one thing that wouldnt stop from happening. raids like twipplysucks and chatunlocker. they do the stuff knowing that they will get banned. we need to stop those so i dont get blamed for another troll that isnt me.

#5 Before February 2015

Chewy
Banned

And I quote "Clauses: The staff reserves the right to remove content, warn and ban users at any time for any or no reason."

#6 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Chewy wrote:

And I quote "Clauses: The staff reserves the right to remove content, warn and ban users at any time for any or no reason."

This. For some reason, this.

I like the idea, though. It'd cut down on at least 2 posts/topics that are spam, and that's for each troll/illegitimate account.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#7 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Chewy wrote:

Sounds like a cop.

I don't see that very often, though.

#8 Before February 2015

supadorf24

This should definitely be implemented. Most forum "trolls" aren't really trolling; they're just unaware of the rules. Exactly why we need something like this.

#9 Before February 2015

RhazzleFrazzle

have you ever seen a raid on the forums. stuff like chatunlocker, twipplysucks, penisis4vagina. they are aware of the rules. they just chose to troll.

#10 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Yeah, and they will be banned.

You mean li-WTF SOMEONE IS SHOOTING OFF FIREWORKS!!!

Any, you mean like the_chosen_1? They get banned in as few hours.

#11 Before February 2015

RhazzleFrazzle

i mean a troll attack. god. do i have to say it like 20 times. its when someone just comes and starts spamming away and breaking the rules as much as he can before he gets the banhammer. havent you ever heard of chatunlocker. what about twipplysucks. or daguy. they go on just to troll. this wwont affect them.

#12 Before February 2015

Alex

We really can't add this. Best we could do is email verification, which cyclone is heavily against, so, yeah.

#13 Before February 2015

Chimi

You could make it impossible to break the rules. Just like its impossible to send a PM over 64MB. Or post/pm under 30 seconds after you just posted/pm'ed. It simply isn't possible.
For bumps'n'such, there could be an exception for if your last post in the thread was over, say, 48 hours ago.

#14 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Bump.

#15 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Chimi wrote:

You could make it impossible to break the rules. Just like its impossible to send a PM over 64MB. Or post/pm under 30 seconds after you just posted/pm'ed. It simply isn't possible.
For bumps'n'such, there could be an exception for if your last post in the thread was over, say, 48 hours ago.

Yesyesyes.
I like it.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#16 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Read the forum announcement about the new rules, grave-digging is allowed to an extent, like if you have an unanswered question or are providing new information.

#17 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Who were you saying that to? Did he/she delete his/her post?

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#18 Before February 2015

The Red Troll

hi //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile do i need to say more?

well i read the rules but i forget them //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile so if you look at some of my first comments there very sencible but now there not
but trolling on the forum isnt just the rules, you cant troll on the forum in some that that break no rules what so ever

Tako1423703388258044

Board footer