Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

supadorf24

A Solution to the Rising Ghost and Shared Account Epidemic

As of now, the only way to get rid of a ghost is having a mod kick your ghost. Of course, this isn't a practical means to get rid of all ghosts. What I'm suggesting is a reset button in the lobby that a user would press to remove all instances of said user out of all levels that user was currently in. In simpler terms:

User X has either ghosts or multiple level tabs open.

User X presses reset button.

User X is no longer in any worlds.

This reset button would also be a (somewhat impractical) way to cut down on shared accounts. You could troll a shared account by constantly clicking on a shared accounts reset button. Sure, this may be impractical to do manually, but (someone would have to validate this) you could use WPE Pro to constantly send reset packets to the server, virtually destroying shared accounts.

#2 Before February 2015

cheezpuffs

Re: A Solution to the Rising Ghost and Shared Account Epidemic

why not just implement an IP-reader?
if the users IP keeps on changing, its a shared?
and then find the IP that the user registered with and then ban all other IPs so the main IP cantbe shared?

#3 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Shared accounts should be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Many players use multiple computers (e.g. someone who's parents are divorced and travels back and forth between houses) and some accounts are shared within a small group of people, which would create multiple IPs for the same account, when the account isn't massively shared.

Of course, the obvious solutions to shared accounts would be to simply ban them, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Besides, the reset button's primary purpose would be for ghost removal. The shared account thing was an idea I had for the reset button as I was typing.

Last edited by Supadorf24 (Jul 7 2011 12:51:00 pm)

#4 Before February 2015

Muffin

Awmg I love this idea. +rep.

#5 Before February 2015

supadorf24

Sugalump bumb-ba-bump.

supadorf241423732174229258

Board footer