Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Dummies.

Just, lifeless smiley's that act just like a regular smiley. They don't move on their own.

"Oh, but TacoDude, why would we need that?"
Glad you asked.
> Something to test out your AFK's .
> Something to run a key machine when you're not there.
> Create cool effects with their trail.
> Use the smiley's white appearance on the minimap for art reasons.
> Use them as a distraction in a minigame.

"Wouldn't they be used to boost the room count?"
They are dummies, not people. Therefore they should not count as people in the room.

"Wouldn't they be hard to delete?"
When you place a "Dummy Brick", is spawns 1 Dummy. The dummy will then go along it's path you set out for it. When you delete the Dummy Brick, the Dummy gets deleted too.

"It could get spammed, like, 10,000,000 times though and make my computer run really slowly."
> In the shop, you buy one at a time and they cannot be used in your friend's worlds, only yours.
> You can only buy 20 Dummy Bricks.

"So, are they just moving forever, even when you're not there?"
When you click on a dummy brick, it releases its dummy. The "On" switch. Click it again, and the dummy disappears. The "Off" switch. This works even if no one's in the room.

Last edited by Tako (Jun 8 2011 4:51:48 pm)

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#2 Before February 2015

Panic

Re: Dummies.

I don't get the 'spawn' part. The way I look at it, it looks like you can turn it on and off by clicking on it when you have the brick selected. When it's turned on, a fake smiley appears on the brick, but does nothing. How exactly would you set a path for it? Or do you mean like in key machines or AFKs, making them stationary unless something is making them move?
I'd say make the dummy brick only visible to gods in said room, invisible on the minimap, and not solid. If it wasn't so hard to code, I'd say simply have smileys on the brick menu that you can click and place, then have a 'delete all dummies' option.

Obligatory piece of text placed here forcing you to load an extra 100 bytes of data per post I make.

#3 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

I like it. Only the owner should be able to control then and it should be able to be set to any smiley you have.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#4 Before February 2015

MadReaper

^ I totally agree with this. When you select the "Dummie Block" you can choose the smiley out of the smileys you have. You should also be able to select "God mode", means they are floating on the block.

#5 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

I don't think you guys quite understand what he's saying...

JadElClemens, to Panic, wrote:

Panic wrote:

When it's turned on, a fake smiley appears on the brick, but does nothing. How exactly would you set a path for it? Or do you mean like in key machines or AFKs, making them stationary unless something is making them move?

Yes, the dummy only moves when moved by gravity arrows and the likes. That's why he said

TakoMan02 wrote:

They don't move on their own.

Panic wrote:

I don't get the 'spawn' part. The way I look at it, it looks like you can turn it on and off by clicking on it when you have the brick selected.

That's exactly what he said.

TakoMan02 wrote:

When you click on a dummy brick, it spawns a dummy. The "On" switch. Click it again, and the dummy disappears. The "Off" switch.

Panic wrote:

I'd say make the dummy brick only visible to gods in said room, invisible on the minimap, and not solid. If it wasn't so hard to code, I'd say simply have smileys on the brick menu that you can click and place, then have a 'delete all dummies' option.

I'd have to agree with that, but then it wouldn't be so easy to control the individual dummies, you'd either keep all of them or delete all of them. What if you made a mistake in placing one? Delete all, and do up to 19 placements over again so you can fix one? It's better with the brick, trust me.

JadElClemens, to Different55, wrote:

Different55 wrote:

I like it. Only the owner should be able to control them

TakoMan02 wrote:

They don't move on their own.

Meaning they don't move at all unless affected by a gravity arrow. Why would anyone need to control it? You have your own smiley for that.

Different55 wrote:

and it should be able to be set to any smiley you have.

I agree, this'd allow for you being able to use ninjas as a dark grey, as seen in his other topic.

As for the idea, I love it. It has so many applications, and wouldn't require you to plug in a couple guests, taking up room space, in the case you're developing another part of the map while other people are in it that requires you to test afks or keys. I have another reason we need them -- to test your own key machines, leave the dummy in the key afk and you go onto the minigame or w/e that the key machine affects.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#6 Before February 2015

Different55
Forum Admin

Uh, Jad? On #1, I meant only the owner can place them. Control like place and control like On/Off.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#7 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Yeah.

And one dummy per block.

Forgot to mention.

#8 Before February 2015

RT

Sounds great! maybe you could even preset their paths to serve as a tutorial.

#9 Before February 2015

Betaguy

Why only 20?
If they WANT to spam with them... just leave the level and try to get on a little more serious world...

#10 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Different55 wrote:

Uh, Jad? On #1, I meant only the owner can place them. Control like place and control like On/Off.

Ah, understood.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#11 Before February 2015

LuigiMadness71

you should click 'dummy mode' and then move in that path and then turn off dummy mode, then you say which dummy it is then there's a dummy menu which shows you the dummys (which you can rename) and then click on/off to show the dummy or not.

#12 Before February 2015

jakebot

I had this idea a while ago, I just didn't know how to voice it. You did a better job than I ever could have.
I think that the dummies should be like plain black, they should leave no trail, are placed simply by clicking on the dummy in your inventory and then placing it where you want it, and are only affected by gravity, you can't set a path for them to follow, just for ease of use. Don't make them complicated like the portals are.

Last edited by jakebot (Jun 14 2011 8:13:06 am)

#13 Before February 2015

coolio

umm... can actual players stand on the dummy bricks?
Anyways, LUV IT. +1 rep //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#14 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Thank you.

#15 Before February 2015

Rokstarr

Can it also be as in a real dummy smiley that doesnt move?
Instead of it moving it can like give out text there like signs.
For example, you have a world and u place the dummy there
and give out info about the place like stories and etc.
Anyways +1rep for giving out a great idea:)

#16 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

I'm not sure how that would work out, and it seems like a lot of extra programming; but nevertheless that would be a cool feature to have!

Thanks for the rep, too.

#17 Before February 2015

MadReaper

^ You think so?
I think a permanent chat bubble would do. But I don't know anything about programming...

#18 Before February 2015

coolio

So can actual people stand on the dummy brick?

And could we make the smiley just a little bit different, so people can see it's a dummy?

#19 Before February 2015

jakebot

I did a quick sketch on how i think it should look.

EEdummy.jpg

Just simple like this, no need to complicate it with the ability to set it to a certain face. And to answer your question coolio, I think that people would just no clip through it just like any other player.

Last edited by jakebot (Jun 15 2011 3:46:15 pm)

#20 Before February 2015

coolio

.ehhhh... It just looks like you filled in a ninja... I think it should actually look like a dumbo...

EDIT: My try at it:
smileytemplatedumbo3.png

Last edited by coolio (Jun 15 2011 3:55:09 pm)

#21 Before February 2015

jakebot

I did. I said it was quick.
Maybe it could be like a solid gray.

Like this:

EEdummy2.jpg

Last edited by jakebot (Jun 15 2011 3:49:03 pm)

#22 Before February 2015

coolio

... And what should the brick look like...

#23 Before February 2015

jakebot

How bout like this? Only people with the code can see the block, just like with secret bricks.

EEDummyBlock.jpg

Last edited by jakebot (Jun 16 2011 7:51:29 am)

#24 Before February 2015

coolio

... I read it and I'm like lolwut? And then I read it again.
But, I think anybody should be able to see the blocks...

#25 Before February 2015

tailschao

I enjoy that idea //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Tako1423732660228772

Board footer