Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

epicstonemason

Logic vs. The List

I was reading the "List of Suggestions" and I felt that some of the suggestions are unfit to be implemented in EE because of logical flaws. What follows is an objective and purely logical list of said suggestions ( I'm not saying that the suggestions are bad but instead showing logical reasons why the suggestions may be harmful to EE game-play). Feel free to point out any flaws in my logic.

This is mostly just to show people how hard it is to create and implement good game ideas. I know how to program and programming games is no fun at all.

1. Ramps
     a. What happens when a player hits a ramp at a high speed? The player is deflected off the ramp. Deflection or bouncing would need to take many factors into account such as player speed, angle of entry, player weight (does the player fly off like a rubber ball or like a brick?), and gravity. Programming deflection would be very time consuming and possibly annoying for the programmer.
     b. The ramp contains two parts within the "ramp block": a solid part and an air part. What would the gravity be for the air part or in which direction would the player roll along the ramp? If you were trying to make a mini-game with left gravity and the player could only roll down the ramps then the mini-game could be ruined. Trying to make 4 sets of ramps to accommodate all directions of gravity would take an incredible amount of time.
2. Moving Platforms
     a. It would be unwise to create a block that isn't bound to a specific spot in the level's coordinate plane.
     b. What would happen if a block was placed in the path of the moving platform?
     c. What would happen if a player was crushed between an moving platform and another block?
3. Water
     a. Would the player sink or float in the water?
     b. What would the viscosity of the water be?
     c. Would water be bound to a specific block or would it flow downwards?
     d. Would there be currents?
     e. How would the player jump in water?
     e. Water is too large of a concept to be easily programmed and could cause major problems in EE game-play.
4. Movable Blocks
     a. What is the point of a block that the player can easily push around?
     b. It would be unwise to create a block that isn't bound to a specific spot in the level's coordinate plane.
5. Bouncy Blocks
     a. the "Deflection" issue.
6. Diagonal Gravity
     a. Deflection off the corners of blocks (diagonal gravity would pull the player against the corners of blocks instead of against a flat surface).
7. Create Bricks
     a. Custom blocks would defeat the purpose of buying new blocks with energy
     b. This would cause LAG. (Everybody has to be able to see the bricks of everybody else)
8. An Official In-Game Animator
     a. This would lead to abuse (especially in open worlds)
     b. This would be a nightmare to program.
     c. This would cause LAG, (what if multiple people ran animators at the same time?)
9. Time Limited Jetpack
     a. This would definitely lead to abuse in open worlds (jetpack trolls flying around destroying everything)
     b. The interactions between the player and the jetpack - steering, mobility- are too close to the interactions between a player and a vehicle, and it would be unwise to make players think that they can get vehicles in EE.
10. Time Limited Super Jump
     a. Abuse in open worlds.
11. Different Brush Sizes
     a. Abuse in open worlds (extreme trolling).
12. A Bucket Tool
     a. Abuse in open worlds (more trolling than you could ever imagine).
13. Admin/Permanent Blocks
     a. This would destroy the concept of EE open worlds: how is it "Everybody Edits" if only Admins can edit certain blocks? This takes away an important freedom in EE open worlds (the ability to edit any block that you want)
14. Subrooms
     a. this would lead to massive sets of interconnected rooms in giant never-ending levels (basically endless and no fun)
15. Enemies
     a. With enemies comes Health, Death, and Weapons - concepts that do not have any place in EE
     b. AI (artificial intelligence) could be a major issue. AI is annoying unless it is very good, and programming good AI is a nightmare.
16. Game Modes
     a. With a little creativity we already can create different game modes.
17. Customizable Smilies
     a. Custom Smilies would defeat the purpose of buying new Smilies with energy
     b. This would cause LAG. (Everybody has to be able to see the Smilies of everybody else)
18. Foreground Objects
     a. This would be very distracting and could be easily abused.
19. Map Copy/Pasting
     a. People don't like you coping their work and passing it off as your own.
20. User Specific Keys
     a. LAG
     b. The entire idea of keys - when they were first created - was to make players ably to interact with other players without editing. (Turning off the block someone is standing on without the ability to edit the level).
21. Level Descriptions
     a. The "title" - you use it to describe the level (100 Mario Minis, Coooooool BOSS, Tower of Doom)
22. Gift Energy/Gems
     a. The only point of this would be use for malicious purposes ( ABUSE: what if someone hacked your account and transferred all your "Energy/Gems" to their account?)
23. Wormhole
     a. I assume that this is referring to portals to other levels, which would destroy game-play. ( EXAMPLE: I'm half way through "Extreme RAGEQUIT Minis PRO" and I enter a wormhole and land up in "Cute Kitten Art" and when I go back to the previous level I have lost my spot and must complete all of the extremely hard mini-games again)
24. Alternative Methods of Gaining Energy
     a. Does this mean "Magic Coins" or is it just another way of trying to abuse energy?
25. Slippery Blocks
     a. This would require making friction modifications which could be hard to program.
26. Coin Doors With Tolls
     a. How would the toll know which coins to take away? (I have coins A, B, and C, and I go through a toll door which takes away one coin and puts it back in the map. Which coin does it take?)
27. Smiley for Completing Extremely Hard Challenges
     a. Who would decide if your challenge was worthy of a smiley at the end?
     b. Reward Smilies would defeat the purpose of buying new Smilies with energy.

#2 Before February 2015

Wezza

Re: Logic vs. The List

You could've searched these in the sub-forum and asked those questions there. Kinda useless to post this here, since this isn't a suggestion.

#3 Before February 2015

calculusguy

I think water should be like minecrafts finite water mod. In water, players can jump 2x higher, but normal gravity will start out of the water. It should flow 1 block/.5 second and when it has two ways to flow, It will pick a random direction. It shouldn't flow into gates or passable blocks.

Last edited by calculusguy (Jun 25 2011 6:32:59 am)

#4 Before February 2015

Toby

These aren't problems, just things programmers have to take into consideration. None of them are actually points against them, and a few just demonstrate a lack of programming knowledge...

#5 Before February 2015

supadorf24

I see so many things wrong with this list.

epicstonemason wrote:

a. Abuse in open worlds.
12. A Bucket Tool

I'm fairly sure these were never suggested for open worlds. A player's palette is very limited in open worlds (no coin doors, portals, spawns). These could easily be saved world-only.

epicstonemason wrote:

23. Wormhole
     a. I assume that this is referring to portals to other levels, which would destroy game-play. ( EXAMPLE: I'm half way through "Extreme RAGEQUIT Minis PRO" and I enter a wormhole and land up in "Cute Kitten Art" and when I go back to the previous level I have lost my spot and must complete all of the extremely hard mini-games again)

I could do the exact same thing with portals by teleporting a player back to the beginning of the level so I see no difference in the example presented above.

epicstonemason wrote:

20. User Specific Keys
     a. LAG

Care to explain why? In fact, if anything, something exclusively client-side such as user-only keys would be less likely to create lag than the keys we have now which affect gameplay for everyone.

epicstonemason wrote:

Addressing point B, the times I've seen reward smileys suggested, they've been suggested as an exclusive prize not to be sold in the Energy Shop.

epicstonemason wrote:

a. How would the toll know which coins to take away? (I have coins A, B, and C, and I go through a toll door which takes away one coin and puts it back in the map. Which coin does it take?)

The idea is the you pay the allotted number of coins and the coins do not respawn.

epicstonemason wrote:

19. Map Copy/Pasting

If this were to be implemented, this tool would most likely only be available to the room owner.

Addressing your questions about the physics of water, ramps, etcetera, Chris/Peter would obviously work out the physics and properties of the block before he added it. Remember, before Chris/Peter adds anything to the game, the update will be Alpha tested first. Have faith in the developers; they know what they're doing.

#6 Before February 2015

Onjit
Website

Supadorf24 wrote:

I see so many things wrong with this list.

epicstonemason wrote:

a. Abuse in open worlds.
12. A Bucket Tool

I'm fairly sure these were never suggested for open worlds. A player's palette is very limited in open worlds (no coin doors, portals, spawns). These could easily be saved world-only.

epicstonemason wrote:

23. Wormhole

I could do the exact same thing with portals by teleporting a player back to the beginning of the level so I see no difference in the example presented above.

epicstonemason wrote:

20. User Specific Keys
     a. LAG

Care to explain why? In fact, if anything, something exclusively client-side such as user-only keys would be less likely to create lag than the keys we have now which affect gameplay for everyone.

epicstonemason wrote:

Addressing point B, the times I've seen reward smileys suggested, they've been suggested as an exclusive prize not to be sold in the Energy Shop.

epicstonemason wrote:

The idea is the you pay the allotted number of coins and the coins do not respawn.

epicstonemason wrote:

19. Map Copy/Pasting

If this were to be implemented, this tool would most likely only be available to the room owner.

Addressing your questions about the physics of water, ramps, etcetera, Chris/Peter would obviously work out the physics and properties of the block before he added it. Remember, before Chris/Peter adds anything to the game, the update will be Alpha tested first. Have faith in the developers; they know what they're doing.

'Nuff Said.

:.|:;

epicstonemason 1423732751228681

Board footer