Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Gamer1120

The 10 Commandments of Acceptable Level Creation

Pretty much what it says in the topic name. I know I haven't got that much personal experience, but at least I know what   people like. Some of these might seem obvious, others... Not. Well, here they come :O

1. Thou shalt do thy best
It all begins with this one. If you ignore this your level will almost always fail. One of you minis doesn't fit? Delete it and start again. (Of course, you shouldn't take this example too far //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue )

2. Thou shalt be creative
This one is pretty simple. Almost every day people complain on the forum about the overuse of basic minis like hook jumps and stairs. It's not that hard to come up with a new challenge (or a new variation of an old one) , especially in adventure levels where the minis have to fit with the art. Just sit back and consider :rolleyes:.

3. Thou shalt have a stable not-too-easy difficulty unless there is a buildup
Sure, easy levels may attract noobs (I believe I have seen nearly fifty levels at the lobby containing the words "easy minigames") but it is kind of annoying to be able to just walk through a level without any challenge. Minis that you cannot lose can be annoying too. And facing a seemingly impossible mini after a string of easy ones is just... Confusing :/.

4. Thou shalt have a plan
Simple. The EX-Crew guide on the EE wiki covers this one a lot more detailed. Just know where you begin and what you are doing.

5. Thou shalt listen to critics
It's also in the forum rules. Keep in mind critics only want to help (or show their frustration //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue ), Unless they are trolling you. Just listen to critics' advise and ideas.

6. Thou shalt have some art
For some reason, I can't remember any level that has become popular on the forums that had no art at all in it. My theory is that when people are having difficulty with a mini (or are confronted with a lack of difficulty) , they will look on the minimap to see what they are doing it all for. And a long string of vague mini rooms just isn't that encouraging.

7. Thou shalt use the forums
Well if you are reading this you probably habe no problems with this one //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue. For example, you can post an unfinished level there asking for critism, you can find out what kind of stuff people like, you can find partners to make levels with, etc.

8. Thou shalt not have a coingasm
The term was coined by Failgirl //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile. Simply put, this means that you shouldn't place more than a hundred coins of each type in a level. That way the coins lose their worth.

9. Thou shalt not troll within thy own level
With this I don't mean totally destroying your level, but just things like bothering the players in your level, blocking passageways, making everyone lose at a boss, etc

10. Thou shalt read guides
Those of BEE and Ravatroll in particular. Don't underestimate the importance of guides . They can reeeeeally help you when you're a beginner.

Post your opinion here [obvious/]

Last edited by Gamer1120 (Apr 19 2011 11:53:06 am)

#2 Before February 2015

Bobithan

Re: The 10 Commandments of Acceptable Level Creation

Thou has made the most epic guide ever

aka towwl

#3 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Gamer1120 wrote:

The term was coined by Failgirl //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile. Simply put, this means that you shouldn't place more than a hundred coins of each type in a level. That way the coins lose their worth.

I think the mods said levels with 200 are likely to contain more magic the others.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#4 Before February 2015

Gamer1120

TakoMan02 wrote:
Gamer1120 wrote:

I think the mods said levels with 200 are likely to contain more magic the others.

I Did not know :O
Editing because I may not double post:
Wowwie J-KAA I didn't see this guide yet. (I'm the M-KAA, mostly active on the forum.) Nice work you did there! +rep to you!

Last edited by Gamer1120 (Apr 20 2011 12:26:30 pm)

#5 Before February 2015

dol257

thou made an epic guide!

#6 Before February 2015

JadElClemens

Epic guide. +1rep, sticky/merge request (there's already a sticky, what not to do, or something.)

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#7 Before February 2015

Tako
Website

Yes, indeed should be stickied.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

#8 Before February 2015

Chimi

too many better, stickied guides.

#9 Before February 2015

NikK

Nice.

Thou shouldn't use medieval (or Shakespearean) english.

#10 Before February 2015

Gamer1120

Thou haznt right. Mouh likes to use thou.

Gamer11201423746637214795

Board footer