Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Hexagon

[Idea] Approximate player physics

Hello,

There have been some topics recently concerning getting the exact player coordinates in an EE world by using the EE physics. Before I propose my idea I haven't done any testing however I think that getting these coordinates would be somewhat intensive on CPU. When more and more players enter the world, the physics may become even more intensive, usually ticking at around once every approximately 10ms.

I'm thinking that if an approximate-physics library was built it could be less intensive but would not be ultra precise. Some of the details that aren't ironed out yet are the precision of the player coordinates and whether or not it would make a considerable difference.

Would anyone use this? Comments and feedback are welcome.

#2 Before February 2015

Mylo
Master Developer

Re: [Idea] Approximate player physics

well, i think getting where the player is ATM is only useful if you know exactly where. for what would you use the aprox. values? honestly, i didn't got a answer yet to this question. making the algorithm more efficient to get the exact coords would be somehow more valuable.but a nice idea overall. (:

#3 Before February 2015

Hexagon

Approximate values within one or so blocks so instead of 2.097876234 it would be 2+-1 for example. I'm thinking that approximate values could be used to maybe detect if a player has crossed a region but don't need to know the exact moment that they do and can afford to wait a second or so.

However if the algorithm could be made more efficient then that would eliminate the need for approximate coordinates which would be the best of both worlds

Last edited by Hexagon (Jul 30 2014 1:19:32 pm)

#4 Before February 2015

ugotpwned

Great idea, needs implementation.

#5 Before February 2015

ostkaka

There is probably something wrong with your code if you can't simulate physics with only 30 players properly. If you have 30 billion players it might become a problem, but I've never seen that many in a room...

Last edited by ostkaka (Jul 30 2014 3:02:56 pm)

#6 Before February 2015

abrar11

The highest amount of players for a room is < 60

#7 Before February 2015

Hexagon

I don't see any performance issues with a random physics library that I tested, so I suppose that this should be put on hold unless otherwise is different.

Hexagon1423758062203370

Board footer