Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

MaybeNot

MaybeNot's Guide to Making An Awesome Level

After the talks with MFL and Mustang and few other people, I have learnt the ways how to make my levels outstanding. This is my own guide I'd like to share with the rest of EE so that they could make better and more enjoyable players like myself come to EE for.

Part1: My definition of a great level
First off, I would like to give my definition of a great and succesful level. A great level has original & creative minigames that won't bore people and mixed with fine art. The art shouldn't be an eyesore but I imagine Ravatroll's 'Enter the Eye' is bleeding now because of the many smileys that work their way into it.

If you want text in you level be creative and don't just do block writing. Make it colourful or make it fit your theme. Be creative.

Part 2: Knowing what to do
All good levels are thought and planned before hand, such as all of the EX Crew levels. You need to know:

1) What your level is supposed to be about
2) What your level theme is
3) Is it targetted at the average EE players or the professional players that can beat anything that's possible to beat

'What your level is supposed to be about' means what your level is focused on. For example my currently unfinished level: Climb The Lighthouse is obviously about climbing the lighthouse. Another good example is EX Crew's TROLLEDMINIGAMES that focuses on minigames that are trolled (purposely) but still possible to finish.

'What your level theme is' means what kind of general art your whole level is based on. I'm using the same example: TROLLEDMINIGAMES. The level theme of it is what a normal trolled map looks like with scattered gravity, coins and blocks everywhere.

'Is it targetted at the average EE players or the professional players that can beat anything that's possible to beat' means what difficulty do you want your minigames to be? Easy? Normal? Hard? EX-treme? (See what I did there?). My level 'Climb the Lighthouse' is the difficulty of Hard mixed with Ragequitting elements.

Part 3: Getting Started
After you've worked out what you want your level to be and before you start putting blocks, I suggest you first make your level name 'UNFINISHED' or 'UNDER CONSTRUCTION'. If you don't want any people to enter you level at all and get a sneak peak, add a random name and block the entrance just incase anyone accidentally clicks your level.

Start the art of your level then once you have done that add the minigames in where you feel like it fits with the art.

Don't perfect your level just yet. Test it out a couple of times. Too hard or easy than the way you want it to be? Fix it! Also make sure there are no exploits that could ruin the level.

Part 4: Continueing
As you progress you'll eventually get tired. I suggest you take a ten minute break as it helps you relax and come up with new ideas for minigames. Once you're back on the computer, take a look at everything and the minimap. Ask yourself: 'Does the art and minigames look right'? If not, change it slightly and see how it looks again. Even the smallest change can make your level 100% better.

Part 5: Public Testing
After your finished making your level change the name to something catchy. Then, as soon as people come in, follow them. See if they've found any expliots or bugs in your minis that weren't supposed to be there.

If people start to get agitated and put on either the angry face or the sad faces, look thoroughly to see what's causing them to become angry unless if you WANT to make an agitating and ragequitting level like me.

Part 6: Finishing Touches
If everything goes well all your minis will entertain the public. Add some finishing touches to your level, especially the art. Try and add some shading as it is one of the most important aspects in art.

Then, add the link to the forum and see what other people say. Is it awesome? Is it horrible? Where? When? Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Hope you guys learnt something from this post. I'll add some more If I feel like I've missed something out.

MaybeNot OUT!

#2 Before February 2015

metaLyZe

Re: MaybeNot's Guide to Making An Awesome Level

Your guide seems to be a poorly understood reconstruction of MFL's, MIHB's and mustang's guides posted some time ago.

Perhaps consider whether or not you have something to add to the forum, besides your own username, before you make a post.

Last edited by metaLyZe (Dec 8 2010 1:24:04 am)

#3 Before February 2015

ilyas3d

Re: MaybeNot's Guide to Making An Awesome Level

Don't we have enough of these pointless guides already? and @ number 3, just change the name to something vulgar so it's filtered off the lobby list.

MaybeNot 1423759950201482

Board footer