Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-06 21:37:54

Nou

What has been going on?

What’s been going on?
Not much, that’s the gist of it. It has been quiet for far too long and I will explain why, what the current status is of everything (like Unity), as well as what the future holds.

Why has it been so quiet?
When Unity was announced, we were going in with full hopes, but a brick wall called “life” happened. For me personally, I started working full-time, which, being a university lecturer, means work usually extends into the weekends. At the same time, some things in my personal life came up that took precedence.
Similarly, Thanel started at a university which also took (and still takes) at least 5 days out of his week. NVD had to take his final exams, Kaslai never got around to starting out because of responsibilities with another company, CJ spent a lot of time working at a different job and has recently left the team, Yonom/Processor had already expressed his lack of motivation before all this.
This meant little to no progress was being made on the Unity client, which, in turn, caused everyone to become demotivated, again causing progress to slow down. After some time, EE seemed to fade into the distance for most of us, with the occasional demotivating discussion about how nothing was happening. This continued for a long time.
I recognize the painful hypocrisy/irony in this as I had personally criticized our predecessors for doing nearly the same thing. However, after having resolved most of my time constraints (except that I still work at the university) I am definitely spending more time on EE, if you’ll still let me. I want what’s best for EE, so I’ll give it my all in a final attempt, and, you can quote me on this, I’ll pass the torch if this doesn’t work out, putting it in the hands of someone more capable if need be. Still, I would like to give it a last try.

Current status
First: Unity. We have a stable client that runs smoothly, although it’s missing some of the latest blocks/smileys. However, the UI is still heavily under construction, especially the lobby needs a complete overhaul as its current design is overwhelming and deters new players. The shop, crews, settings, profiles, and in-game mail still need to be done completely, as well as plenty of other stuff.
We ran/are running a closed alpha for testers, so some have already experienced the Unity client, but from now on I’d like to at least make a bi-weekly update on the status of the Unity client to keep everyone informed. Even if no progress is made, you will still be informed on the lack of progress. Please do not ask to join the alpha testers team, we will recruit people if needed.

Here's a little video and screenshot of what it currently looks like:
http://file.eejesse.net/544558Az.mp4

344556QZ.png

Second: The team. As everyone got inactive, so did the mods, so we have added two to make it easier to rotate shifts, if you will. So, welcome Dream and Megalamb.
Dream will also focus on campaigns, so new campaigns should be released on a more frequent basis.
At the same time, we’ve added EEJesse to the dev team and he will initially focus on the Unity project. Later on in April Showpath will do the same

The future
The original plan is still there, albeit later. However, some potential major changes are being discussed If any are to be done, we’ll make sure you know.

P.S. I wanted to post this last week but more stuff in my personal life came up that took strong priority. I will be replying to the pitch fork threads on the forum as well.

No u.

#2 2017-03-06 21:41:18

Myst

Re: What has been going on?

what happen if you write <color=red><size=100><b><i>TEST</i></b></size></color> in UnitEE?

#3 2017-03-06 21:48:21

Moukdaboss
Banned

144hz support on unity pls

idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot idot

#4 2017-03-06 21:55:30, last edited by mrjawapa (2017-03-06 22:10:06)

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Nou wrote:

For me personally, I started working full-time, which, being a university lecturer, means work usually extends into the weekends. At the same time, some things in my personal life came up that took precedence.

You don't develop. This shouldn't have any affect on the progress made on unity.

Nou wrote:

Similarly, Thanel started at a university which also took (and still takes) at least 5 days out of his week. NVD had to take his final exams, Kaslai never got around to starting out because of responsibilities with another company, CJ spent a lot of time working at a different job and has recently left the team, Yonom/Processor had already expressed his lack of motivation before all this.

Finals don't take 6 months. You shouldn't have hired kaslai if he didn't have the time. And why is Proc still on the staff?

Nou wrote:

I want what’s best for EE, so I’ll give it my all in a final attempt, and, you can quote me on this, I’ll pass the torch if this doesn’t work out, putting it in the hands of someone more capable if need be. Still, I would like to give it a last try.

You've made it clear that you're after money. You don't want best for the game. You want whatever will rake in the most dough.

The game once sat in the hands of someone more capable. You can talk **** about NVD all you want, but he truly wants the best for the game. Plus, under his ownership, things were getting done, desired updates were being released, and numbers were rising.

This game doesn't need you, NOU. You're just an extra.

Nou wrote:

Later on in April Showpath will do the same

Are you a **** idiot? You know showpath was one of the people who were using an old mod's account to ban people? Him, Atilla, and Meredith are all **** buddies.

Discord: jawp#5123

Wooted by:

#5 2017-03-06 21:59:39

XxAtillaxX

Nou wrote:

I’ll pass the torch if this doesn’t work out, putting it in the hands of someone more capable if need be. Still, I would like to give it a last try.

You've had the torch quite some time and from the developer you hired, the code is messy and isn't reminiscent of anything that'd take months to develop.

It's not the fault of your staff that the progress has stagnated. It's the fault of yourself failing to provide the incentive to develop on your behalf (for near non-existent pay might I add).
I'm fairly sure there's a valid reason for your staff disliking you, which includes NVD asking for the game back, and many staff openly against your decisions that were not on behalf of the community and not of necessity.

I've seen the staff you've hired go a full 180 on their initial stance when being chosen by you. They're bored and underpaid, and instead of resolving the conflicts preventing progress, you decide to hire a new developer every few months to finish where they left off.
I'd like most for you to answer what sets you aside from the rest of the team that have been productive whilst you've done nothing at all besides collect a pay cheque?

Nou wrote:

I recognize the painful hypocrisy/irony in this as I had personally criticized our predecessors for doing nearly the same thing. However, after having resolved most of my time constraints (except that I still work at the university) I am definitely spending more time on EE, if you’ll still let me.

Undoubtedly there's slow points within the development process, however it certainly doesn't last for months at a time.
I know some hard working and persistent people, however they always still have enough free time to allocate towards their hobby projects.

It's the same excuses.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by: (4)

#6 2017-03-06 22:10:17, last edited by hummerz5 (2017-03-06 23:26:47)

Notcarksss

Nou wrote:

don't quote the first post in the topic

Congratz to Megalamb and Dream for becoming mods and congrats to eejesse and showpath for becoming devz, i feel like ee is going to be better this year //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

YqrOV8L.png
?type=online&name=Notcarksss ?type=energy&name=Notcarksss
?type=loginstreak&name=Notcarksss ?type=itemsbought&name=Notcarksss
YEE.png
Notcarksss.jpg

#7 2017-03-06 22:19:53

XxAtillaxX

Notcarksss wrote:

Congratz to Megalamb and Dream for becoming mods and congrats to eejesse and showpath for becoming devz, i feel like ee is going to be better this year //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Maybe by next year they'll have an update. Stay tuned!

The most amusing aspect is that Nou had considered, or possibly attempted by now, getting students at his university to do work for him on the Unity client.
This is the sheer amount of desperation when you are unable to incentivize developers you hire explicitly on that premise alone.

signature.png
*u stinky*

#8 2017-03-06 22:22:13

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

XxAtillaxX wrote:

This is the sheer amount of desperation when you are unable to incentivize developers you hire explicitly on that premise alone.

There's really not much of an incentive needed.

Just don't be an overbearing ****, and let them still be a part of the community.

#9 2017-03-06 22:23:46

Notcarksss

MrJaWapa wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

There's really not much of an incentive needed.

Just don't be an overbearing ****, and let them still be a part of the community.

Ok a bit over the top and you cant say much after your black market gem scandal

YqrOV8L.png
?type=online&name=Notcarksss ?type=energy&name=Notcarksss
?type=loginstreak&name=Notcarksss ?type=itemsbought&name=Notcarksss
YEE.png
Notcarksss.jpg

#10 2017-03-06 22:24:39

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Notcarksss wrote:

Ok a bit over the top and you cant say much after your black market gem scandal

What the **** does that have to do with what I said?

#11 2017-03-06 22:28:14

LukeM
Website

MrJaWapa wrote:

You've made it clear that you're after money. You don't want best for the game. You want whatever will rake in the most dough.

Wanting the game to be profitable doesn't mean NOU is after the money, I'm not sure, but I'd be surprised if NOU was making money for himself at all (at least not a lot), it seems to me that the game is mostly expenses, and not much money being earned back.

#12 2017-03-06 22:32:27

Kirby

why does kira need to be a mod to help with campaigns? he's been on the trello board for ages now, and has gotten a say in multiple campaigns (hell, more of a say than m1). not quite sure why he needs to get banning powers and mod text to make them

#13 2017-03-06 22:32:44

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

For the longest time the only expense for the game was the domain, and some email ****, and maybe a few other minor things.

For some reason people think the game only brings in about $20 a month.

#14 2017-03-06 22:35:37

Zumza

Nou wrote:

While we appreciate everyone wanting to help, we have all bases covered right now. If we need someone, we will approach that person and ask them.

Why won't you go to the people who are willing to help? Why do you prefer keeping busy, unmotivated persons on the spot?

A large number of game clients are open-sourced.
People could propose code changes, and after someone oversees them, they could be committed.
I'm sure that you got an Todo List which can be followed, and that the current admins/devs have enough experience to decide what its good and whats not. Overseeing something, most of the time, takes less than the actual coding process.
Believe me that there a lot of people willing to help, without needing any recognition. Their only satisfaction is helping this game.

Theres a large community of programmers that know about EE and it would be petty not to exploit them.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#15 2017-03-06 22:41:07

Nou

MrJaWapa wrote:

You don't develop. This shouldn't have any affect on the progress made on unity.

So you're saying this has nothing to do with me. Why blame it on me? Except of course I do lead the team.

MrJawapa wrote:

Finals don't take 6 months. You shouldn't have hired kaslai if he didn't have the time. And why is Proc still on the staff?

Correct, they don't take 6 months, it transitioned from that into the period of demotivation I mentioned.
Kaslai approached me, then as soon as I got him in, stuff happened at his company. Unfortunate timing of events.
Proc still occasionally works in the background and I'd like to keep the door open for him. Why do you care if his name is listed somewhere?

MrJawapa wrote:

Wild unfounded accusations. Please elaborate.

MrJawapa wrote:

The game once sat in the hands of someone more capable. You can talk **** about NVD all you want, but he truly wants the best for the game. Plus, under his ownership, things were getting done, desired updates were being released, and numbers were rising.

This game doesn't need you, NOU. You're just an extra.

I have never talked trash about NVD, stop straw manning please. You may recall I was already leading the team while the game was still under NVD's ownership. Under mine, they were also still rising for a long time, until inactivity struck. I know NVD wants what best for the game, so do I, we all do.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

You've had the torch quite some time and from the developer you hired, the code is messy and isn't reminiscent of anything that'd take months to develop.

It's not the fault of your staff that the progress has stagnated. It's the fault of yourself failing to provide the incentive to develop on your behalf (for near non-existent pay might I add).
I'm fairly sure there's a valid reason for your staff disliking you, which includes NVD asking for the game back, and many staff openly against your decisions that were not on behalf of the community and not of necessity.

I've seen the staff you've hired go a full 180 on their initial stance when being chosen by you. They're bored and underpaid, and instead of resolving the conflicts preventing progress, you decide to hire a new developer every few months to finish where they left off.

I do take responsibility for the lack of progress, I'm not sure where you got the idea I blamed the others. As mentioned in my post, I consider EE a hobby, and when adding people to the team, I make sure they're clear about that, meaning little to no pay. It's more of a "sharing the booty" kind of thing, where, if there's some extra, it is shared, while the rest remains in the vault for future investments (such as ads, licensing, server costs). Unfortunately, the current state of EE is nothing to advertise. But perhaps you're right that I need to reconsider incentives.

About the staff disliking me: I joined an existing team I did not choose, so yes of course it results in conflict. For example, Jawapa and I have had our differences, while I'm sure it would have gone differently if we had grown to know each other under different circumstances.

The thing with a team is that not everyone will agree with each other, so yes some may openly disagree with me. However, I value everyone's input, and we discuss everything in-depth. In the end, I have to make a final decision, which may not always be one that everyone agrees on, but that's leadership. I welcome discussion and feedback from my staff, so if someone is angry with me, I'd like to hear it. Not communicating with me would be their own choice, but I have tried to create an atmosphere of openness.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

I'd like most for you to answer what sets you aside from the rest of the team that have been productive whilst you've done nothing at all besides collect a pay cheque?

While it may seem like little work, coordinating everything actually takes a huge amount of time and energy. Especially in the beginning when I first joined as a mod the team was pure chaos, everything being a mash of spam in a single Skype group. I started to apply structure and order which was surprisingly hard to done as it was clear none of them had ever worked in proper project groups. When it was finally OK-ish I cancelled my summer holidays to work on EE, and so I did,  micro-managing 12 hours or more almost every day, the entire holidays. All this hard work has finally paid off and management now takes much less time and energy, but it still does. I haven't actually made any money off of EE. The only thing I got for myself was a pizza because the payment system here in The Netherlands called "iDeal" was down, but PayPal was functional, so basically I made 10 bucks. The rest is stored in the aforementioned vault. The fact that I manage it doesn't mean it's mine, it's the game's.

XxAtillaxX wrote:

Undoubtedly there's slow points within the development process, however it certainly doesn't last for months at a time.
I know some hard working and persistent people, however they always still have enough free time to allocate towards their hobby projects.

It's the same excuses.

I have explained how it went, and that's how it went. Demotivation happens, so does life, so one can lose sight of hobby projects too.

No u.

#16 2017-03-06 22:43:24

XxAtillaxX

Zumza wrote:

Believe me that there a lot of people willing to help, without needing any recognition. Their only satisfaction is helping this game.

The developers within the game had repeatedly asked to re-write the client from scratch, which is surely indicative of their willingness to continue progress.
Nou had declined their wishes, possibly out of fear resulting from a lack of understanding with the development process. Instead, he allows the project to stagnate and go nowhere.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by: (3)

#17 2017-03-06 22:44:26

Nou

Zumza wrote:
Nou wrote:

While we appreciate everyone wanting to help, we have all bases covered right now. If we need someone, we will approach that person and ask them.

Why won't you go to the people who are willing to help? Why do you prefer keeping busy, unmotivated persons on the spot?

A large number of game clients are open-sourced.
People could propose code changes, and after someone oversees them, they could be committed.
I'm sure that you got an Todo List which can be followed, and that the current admins/devs have enough experience to decide what its good and whats not. Overseeing something, most of the time, takes less than the actual coding process.

Theres a large community of programmers that know about EE and it would be petty not to exploit them.

I may actually consider this, I have a lot to think about.

XxAtillaxX wrote:
Zumza wrote:

The developers within the game had repeatedly asked to re-write the client from scratch, which is surely indicative of their willingness to continue progress.
Nou had declined their wishes, possibly out of fear resulting from a lack of understanding with the development process. Instead, he allows the project to stagnate and go nowhere.

This is still a point of discussion, one of the major changes things I mentioned. I personally vow for the continuation of the current project because starting over would mean losing a TON of already created content. This content is created by users, so scrapping this would mean thousands of hours of work down the drain. We may be able to find a compromise here.

No u.

#18 2017-03-06 22:55:51

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Nou wrote:

So you're saying this has nothing to do with me. Why blame it on me? Except of course I do lead the team.

You said your busy schedule was part of the reason nothing was done. You don't develop so it doesn't matter if you're available or not. What matters is how willing those who do develop are willing to work on something. To be honest, they don't need you to tell them what specifically needs done. There's a lack of motivation to do anything, because the joy has been sucked out of it. I blame you for disconnecting them from the community, being overbearing, and being fairly uncooperative.

Nou wrote:

Proc still occasionally works in the background and I'd like to keep the door open for him. Why do you care if his name is listed somewhere?

Because he was added to the staff to better the game. He's just using it as a special title.

Nou wrote:

Wild unfounded accusations. Please elaborate.

When you first joined the team, your main focus was money. That's what seemed to be your motivation. All the money that was going to be coming in. Rarely was there, still isn't, any focus on what the community wanted. That's what NVD, Koto, and myself set out to do. To do what the community wanted, and what was best for the game. We never once worried about money.

Nou wrote:

I have never talked trash about NVD, stop straw manning please. You may recall I was already leading the team while the game was still under NVD's ownership. Under mine, they were also still rising for a long time, until inactivity struck. I know NVD wants what best for the game, so do I, we all do.

Well, that statement was targeted more towards everyone. It was meant to be more a broad statement. Although I have seen you talk **** about him behind his back.

#19 2017-03-06 22:59:29

XxAtillaxX

Nou wrote:

I do take responsibility for the lack of progress, I'm not sure where you got the idea I blamed the others. As mentioned in my post, I consider EE a hobby, and when adding people to the team, I make sure they're clear about that, meaning little to no pay. It's more of a "sharing the booty" kind of thing, where, if there's some extra, it is shared, while the rest remains in the vault for future investments (such as ads, licensing, server costs). Unfortunately, the current state of EE is nothing to advertise. But perhaps you're right that I need to reconsider incentives.

There's plenty of money to be made upon the existing framework, as is evident with the persistent influx of players that, unsurprisingly, leave shortly thereafter.
It would be worthwhile to invest in what you currently have rather than allocating the small amount of assets towards a goal larger than what you've been able to accomplish thus far.

Nou wrote:

About the staff disliking me: I joined an existing team I did not choose, so yes of course it results in conflict. For example, Jawapa and I have had our differences, while I'm sure it would have gone differently if we had grown to know each other under different circumstances.

The thing with a team is that not everyone will agree with each other, so yes some may openly disagree with me. However, I value everyone's input, and we discuss everything in-depth. In the end, I have to make a final decision, which may not always be one that everyone agrees on, but that's leadership. I welcome discussion and feedback from my staff, so if someone is angry with me, I'd like to hear it. Not communicating with me would be their own choice, but I have tried to create an atmosphere of openness.

It's reminiscent of an non-collaborative group of developers whose work is undervalued.
People don't work without incentives, you should be fairly aware by now that a communistic staff system goes nowhere.

Nou wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

While it may seem like little work, coordinating everything actually takes a huge amount of time and energy. Especially in the beginning when I first joined as a mod the team was pure chaos, everything being a mash of spam in a single Skype group. I started to apply structure and order which was surprisingly hard to done as it was clear none of them had ever worked in proper project groups. When it was finally OK-ish I cancelled my summer holidays to work on EE, and so I did,  micro-managing 12 hours or more almost every day, the entire holidays. All this hard work has finally paid off and management now takes much less time and energy, but it still does. I haven't actually made any money off of EE. The only thing I got for myself was a pizza because the payment system here in The Netherlands called "iDeal" was down, but PayPal was functional, so basically I made 10 bucks. The rest is stored in the aforementioned vault. The fact that I manage it doesn't mean it's mine, it's the game's.

It's not possible to make money.
I'm aware the majority of the costs associated goes towards paying for the Player.IO services.

That's wherein the problem lies. You can't be successful spontaneously, you have to use the assets you currently have to gain more.
You have over a thousand users that play on a regular basis, and of those thousands you see a hundred or less playing for more than a few minutes, and a fraction of those who feel it's worth spending money on.

Nou wrote:
XxAtillaxX wrote:

It's the same excuses.

I have explained how it went, and that's how it went. Demotivation happens, so does life, so one can lose sight of hobby projects too.

It wouldn't be a hobby project if you were making an income, which has, even despite the chaos, been waiting to be tapped into.
I've seen, again, hobby projects persist despite months of hard work. I wouldn't blame the staff for a lack of direction or motivation.

signature.png
*u stinky*

Wooted by:

#20 2017-03-07 00:02:54

Freckleface

Here's a post with some positivity since this topic is lacking it. The unity client looks really nice and I am really glad we are able to have actual full screen now. Does this mean we could have vision blockers in the unity update? The GUI looks very nice and the chat box is incredible. I feel the block bar (the one with 11 slots) doesn't fit in with the rest of the GUI though. But other than that, great work!

F

#21 2017-03-07 00:05:45

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Freckleface wrote:

Here's a post with some positivity since this topic is lacking it. The unity client looks really nice and I am really glad we are able to have actual full screen now. Does this mean we could have vision blockers in the unity update? The GUI looks very nice and the chat box is incredible. I feel the block bar (the one with 11 slots) doesn't fit in with the rest of the GUI though. But other than that, great work!

It's far too plain in my opinion. The hotbar is just a single-shaded rectangle of grey, with no sense of shading or depth. I hope to see it improved in the final version.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#22 2017-03-07 02:11:46

Master1

Lowkey still confused by how Dream was one of the people chosen as a new mod. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and he's a great friend of mine, but didn't you demod me for supposedly not banning him enough for his actions on EE? How does someone that was consistently harassing players get modded...?

I'm so lost, help pls.

nicktoot.pngnicktoot.pngnicktoot.png

#23 2017-03-07 02:42:35

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

MrJaWapa wrote:

MrJaWapa wrote:

That's what NVD, Koto, and myself set out to do. To do what the community wanted, and what was best for the game. We never once worried about money.

Boy, it takes a rock solid set of morals for you to type that, and while your fantastic hypocrisy may have no relevance to your claims about Nou's intentions, it does bring into question your entire basis of comparison for criticism concerning less-than-golden behaviour. It seems you've made more money than he has from EE, but all I see from you is a huge amount of unforgiving criticism over his alleged failings. Do you genuinely believe you're in a position to be anything less than grateful for still being allowed to play the game and to post judgemental crap on the forums? Most admins would've been done with you a long time ago, and while I respect Nou for continuing to respond to your accusations, I don't think your opinion is worth a damn.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#24 2017-03-07 02:59:26

hummerz5

Nou wrote:

We ran/are running a closed alpha for testers

were these people under oath of silence? Seems we've had more than a few "unity is a sham" posts which could have been assuaged easily

#25 2017-03-07 03:03:25

Firecrackericebreak
Website

Master1 wrote:

Lowkey still confused by how Dream was one of the people chosen as a new mod. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and he's a great friend of mine, but didn't you demod me for supposedly not banning him enough for his actions on EE? How does someone that was consistently harassing players get modded...?

I'm so lost, help pls.

Wait what when did that nub dream get modded?

Doodle1489810536651380

Board footer