Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-07 02:32:41, last edited by JadElClemens (2016-02-07 02:33:24)

JadElClemens

Mechanical Keyboards

What do you guys think of 'em?

I'm currently looking for a white RBG (preferably TKL) mech keyboard to go with my new mouse. My aesthetic requirements kind of narrow my choices down quite a bit.

The exact same thing happened when I was buying a bluetooth keyboard for my laptop. There aren't many bluetooth mechs on the market, but even less that are also 60% (a requirement for me at the time).

What are your favorite switch types? Favorite features, perhaps?

Also, keyboard pix pls.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#2 2016-02-07 02:54:33

hummerz5

Re: Mechanical Keyboards

Well, according to this first google result I've used a mechanical keyboard before. Does that count? In fact, the IBM keyboard first pictured appears to be the computer I pecked at.

I don't have a picture of this keyboard, alas.

#3 2016-02-07 03:21:09, last edited by OrangeCrix (2016-02-07 03:53:10)

OrangeCrix

One in front is CM Quickfire TK w/ Browns

One in back is Corsair K70 Vengeance w/ Reds

EDIT:
I'm still experimenting with different types of switches. Reds are very sensitive and browns are pretty much like reds but require a little more force. I've yet to try out blues or blacks (ones with much higher resistance) but I probably will try them in the future.

I really like the Quickfire TK because it's not too big and the design is nice and compact. The K70 is also nice, but it's difficult to pick it up with one hand because the back of it extends much further than the TK. Something I've noticed is that the K70 can get really cold, while I haven't had that problem with the Quickfire TK. I'm not a huge fan of the texture on the outer structure of the K70; it's got of a bunch of horizontal lines that would make an unpleasant noise if you scratched it.

The K70 has a dim red color, but it also comes in an RGB version contrary to the that lets you customize the LEDs under the keys (rainbow keys, change between colors, ripple outward effect from each key you press, etc.) if you're interested in that sort of thing and willing to spend an extra $30-40. As for the Quickfire TK, there aren't many options other than a breathing effect on the white LEDs. Of course you can turn the LEDs off on both.

That's what I can think of right now, might add more if you have any other questions.

Hidden text

Wooted by: (3)

#4 2016-02-07 03:35:18

JadElClemens

hummerz5 wrote:

Well, according to this first google result I've used a mechanical keyboard before. Does that count? In fact, the IBM keyboard first pictured appears to be the computer I pecked at.

I don't have a picture of this keyboard, alas.

Model Ms are still pretty popular among NEETs enthusiasts, it's cool that you've used one. I'd never buy one, but I'd like to try one once.

OrangeCrix wrote:

One in front is CM Quickfire TK w/ Browns

One in back is Corsair K70 Vengeance w/ Reds

Hidden text

I have a CM Storm Trigger with browns that I'm typing on right now. It's well-worn, but I'll get a picture up eventually. I was looking at getting a Corsair K65 (and some white keycaps) to match my new white M65, but they don't actually match very well at all.

The whole M65 is making this a tough decision for me. The white version is white on top but still black on the sides, so I feel like if I got an all-white keyboard it wouldn't exactly match so well. At the same time, if I were to get a keyboard with white keycaps but a black chassis, I feel like it'd be really ugly. I can't win.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#5 2016-02-07 03:38:01, last edited by Insanity (2016-02-07 03:39:25)

Insanity

i prefer chiclet keys.

Easier pressing, takes less time and effort to press down the keys. And they look a lot more sleek and sexy as well.

This is the Razer Deathstalker keyboard, its mad nice

Hidden text

Maverick: Started up on a 6, when he pulled from the clouds, and then I moved in above him.
Charlie: Well, if you were directly above him, how could you see him?
Maverick: Because I was inverted.

#6 2016-02-07 03:41:26

hummerz5

lol, you all getting up and going out and purchasing up your fancy keyboards
I got the box set, if that's a thing
9d2f4303c5e94aa99322055fe474f359.jpg
behold the pr1101u keyboard! I have no idea who makes it, but it says HP on it, but that's an acer picture.

Clearly I'm in the know regarding keyboards.

#7 2016-02-07 04:17:06

Kaslai
Official Caroler

I've only used cherry clears extensively on my Code keyboard. I've played with cherry browns and blues, but not for long enough to really get a feel for them. If all you're doing is typing, I hear that the more clicky and less linear switches are really good, but they're awful if you're trying to play games. Even my clears which lean more towards linear activation took a few months to get used to for gaming.

Also... I really think that mechanical keyboards aren't worth the price. A good solid $30 rubber dome keyboard with full-height keys really isn't that bad, especially when the cheap end of mechanical keyboards is over $100. If you have the money though, they are definitely better. Just not 3x better.

#8 2016-02-07 04:21:51

JadElClemens

Insanity wrote:

i prefer chiclet keys.

Easier pressing, takes less time and effort to press down the keys. And they look a lot more sleek and sexy as well.

If those things are a big deal to you, then it's good you found what you like. Personally, I can't stand 'em. I love the feeling of some nice feedback.

hummerz5 wrote:

lol, you all getting up and going out and purchasing up your fancy keyboards
I got the box set, if that's a thing
9d2f4303c5e94aa99322055fe474f359.jpg
behold the pr1101u keyboard! I have no idea who makes it, but it says HP on it, but that's an acer picture.

Clearly I'm in the know regarding keyboards.

That keyboard is certainly not mechanical.

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

#9 2016-02-07 16:00:44

hummerz5

I am certainly aware, I was boasting about how I don't have a mechanical keyboard.

too meta?

Wooted by:

#10 2016-02-07 23:10:05

JadElClemens

Kaslai wrote:

I've only used cherry clears extensively on my Code keyboard. I've played with cherry browns and blues, but not for long enough to really get a feel for them. If all you're doing is typing, I hear that the more clicky and less linear switches are really good, but they're awful if you're trying to play games. Even my clears which lean more towards linear activation took a few months to get used to for gaming.

I've personally only used the MX browns in the keyboard I have for my desktop and the Kail blues I have in the bluetooth keyboard I bought for my laptop. I've only ever used the browns for gaming, but I don't really see why it should make much of a difference. I think the blues are a much nicer typing experience (or, really, anything with more tactile feedback than browns), but I guess quick activation with little force could be a plus for gaming.

Kaslai wrote:

Also... I really think that mechanical keyboards aren't worth the price. A good solid $30 rubber dome keyboard with full-height keys really isn't that bad, especially when the cheap end of mechanical keyboards is over $100. If you have the money though, they are definitely better. Just not 3x better.

The cheap end of decent mechanical keyboards will start at about $70-$80. You can certainly get a cheaper mechanical keyboard for around $40 if you don't mind, say, sacrificing Cherry switches for a cheaper knockoff, or perhaps getting lower-quality keycaps. I couldn't say, I've never owned one so cheap. But I really have to disagree. Obviously it's subjective and whether they're "worth the price" depends on how much of a difference it makes to you. It's like with fountain pens (and I realize this analogy will reach even less people than the mechanical keyboard situation will). I could write with a cheap bic that cost less than eight cents, but I don't want to deal with such a subpar writing experience. Is a $15 pen (considered "entry level") 180-ish times better? Probably not. Does the price bother me enough? Absolutely not.

----

hummerz5 wrote:

I am certainly aware, I was boasting about how I don't have a mechanical keyboard.

too meta?

2meta4me fam

4RNmJ.png

I hate tall signatures.

JadElClemens1454883005581179

Board footer